Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clpersonal

Derm gave me Roaccutane!! Yay!

I'm a 20year old(21 this year to be exact) oriental lady, 126lbs.

Went on my first derm visit today. She was really nice and friendly. Very patient and willing to listen to what i had to say instead of interrupting and making her point. I have moderate acne, and it has been getting worse, which is why i went to visit a derm. I have been getting a few cysts and some really painful acne around my cheeks and chin. I've tried topicals a few years back when i had the same problem, but my skin has gotten resistant to it, and topical retinoids don't do much to help either. After reading sooo many posts on the wonderful results many of you have gotten with Accutane, i decided it was time to take the plunge and try it to get rid of it once and for all. I am sick of having acne since i was 14 and many times it has gotten quite bad especially during my examination period.

I thought the derm might not be willing to prescribe me accutane because it doesnt look serious enough. But i'm so glad she did, becase mine was pretty persistant and i had really oily skin.

She put me on 40mg, i'm not sure if she will increase the dosage after the first month, but i will visit her again after my 1st month to see how it goes.

I'll start taking on friday after my blood test results come back. I really hope i won't get the inital breakout, but i'm mentally prepared for it, since i have some really nasty clogged pores around my chin that needs to be cleared!

I have some qns:

1) What topicals I can/cannot use for the initial breakout and on exisiting acne? My derm gave me differin, but is it safe to use after i start accutane?

2) Is it possible to still apply makeup while on accutane? Which brand of foundation do you use that will not accetuate the dry skin and cause more breakouts?

3) Can i use hydroquinone on my brown marks while on accutane?

I am so excited about being able to have perfect skin after this whole course!

don't use any other topical creams/gels while on Accutane. Your skin will be dry and irritated and you don't want to make it worse.

You're better off without makeup, (IMO) but if you choose to wear foundation make sure it's non-comedogenic. Try Neutrogena's Healthy Skin. It has sunblock in it too.

I can't answer Q3... don't know about that stuff.

Hi and welcome to the Accutane-club where we have abandoned all hope and jumped into a land of waivers, blood work and chapped lips. Woo-hooo!!!! Yee-haw!!!

I’ve had excellent luck with Klaron gel to dry up any additional pimples. Note: it basically only works if your acne comes to a head. It won’t do much for cysts without heads except dry the top layer of skin. Unlike harsher topicals such as Differin, Tazaroc and Retin-A, Klaron is sulfur-based and very gentle on your skin. Cleocin-T lotion is also a mild topical you might want to look into.

You can still apply make-up while using Accutane. If it helps with your self-confidence, then go for it. Just be careful as to what type of make-up you are using. I’ve had the best luck with Revlon New Complexion - - recommended by one of our top ‘taners. Some people prefer MAC also. It’s trial and error. For active acne, I’ve been using Janet Satrin’s blemishfix concealor and for redmarks, I use a Becca concealor. These were also recommended via the Make-Up Help Section of this site. There was a point, however, during my treatment, when make-up made my skin look worse so I learned to go bare and it actually feels a lot better to not wear make-up.

Doctor’s opinions vary with regarding hydroquinone or other bleaching creams while on Accutane. You should really consult your doctor before continuing it.

My best advice for anyone starting Accutane is to drink a lot of water and buy serious lip balm. I wish you great luck and perfect skin at the end of it all!

Hey there! Congrats on getting Accutane, welcome to the club smile.gif

You should try not to use topicals while on Accutane, and instead just let the drug do it's job...but having said that, I totally understand the desire to use something. I admit that I continued to use benzoyl peroxide on pimples for the first month and a half, but I would actually advise against it still. Using less on your skin is a great habit to get into, and acne treatments are drying on their own without Accutane making things even drier. BP is also rumoured to make your zits leave redder marks that last longer.

As for makeup, I've never had a problem wearing it. I also like Revlon makeup; I have used the Colorstay line for a long time so I just stick with that. New Complexion looks good too... I trust Revlon on acne-prone skin. I use their Colorstay concealer too and like it a lot. I've used that concealer since high school!

Hydroquinone, I've asked about before on here and nobody really knew. But I think it's something you can think about maybe in a couple months when you're further in your course. There is no point in using hydroquinone now while you are still breaking out (and might get an intial breakout). I've learned that scar treatments are best left to deal with when you're actually CLEAR - if you're still breaking out, don't go there wink.gif

Good luck, hope this helped a bit!!

Mae

Our derm has prescribed hydroquinine now that my daughter is done. It seems to be working fast to fade the marks. You'd have to ask your derm about using it during.

Hey there! Congrats on getting Accutane, welcome to the club smile.gif

As for makeup, I've never had a problem wearing it. I also like Revlon makeup; I have used the Colorstay line for a long time so I just stick with that. New Complexion looks good too... I trust Revlon on acne-prone skin. I use their Colorstay concealer too and like it a lot. I've used that concealer since high school!

I wanted to try New complexion initially, but i went to the drugstore and there were only a few colors to choose from. Being yellow-olive toned, their shades are too orangy for asian skin. sad.gif

Wouldn't the colorstay foundation cling onto dry spots and make your dry/flaky skin more obvious?