Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
enektyk

Accutane and Marijuana

Okay, so I've been surfing this site for awhile, but only today opened an account on the forum. I've had acne for about 4 years now. It started in grade 9 with just a few pimples here and there, but now, it's constantly covering my face. I can't remember a day in the past 3 years where I haven't stressed over the way I look. After going through countless tubes of Clearasil, I finally had an appointment with a dermatoligist a few days ago and was perscribed Accutane. I'm going for blood work tommorow morning, so if all goes well, I should be on my first does in a week or so. Right now, I smoke marijuana daily. My marks are in the high eighties, I have plenty of friends and am quite happy with my life, save for the acne. What I want to know is wether or not my habits will affect my treatment. I understand about the effects on the liver and why I shouldn't drink too often, which will be fine because I rarely do anyway, but will marijuana harm my results at all? I know this has been brought up in previous threads, but I haven't yet found a satisfying answer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest Craigems

I remember reading a post similar to this a while back ... as far as i'm aware even though i aint a smoker of anything (sorta a health person), i'm pretty sure Pot dont do anything i.e. harm the results in anyways. The only thing i can think of would be its making your red spots a lil redder due to increased blood pressure and stimulation resulting from cannabis.

All the best hope ya dont space out on your med smile.gif

I remember reading a post similar to this a while back ... as far as i'm aware even though i aint a smoker of anything (sorta a health person), i'm pretty sure Pot dont do anything i.e. harm the results in anyways. The only thing i can think of would be its making your red spots a lil redder due to increased blood pressure and stimulation resulting from cannabis.

All the best hope ya dont space out on your med smile.gif

Hey. I just did a little research since this question comes up often and here is what I found out.

As far as I can gather, the only negative effect that marijuana has on your liver is that it can temporarily shut down cells known as macrophages, which are responsible for fighting off bacterial infections. Supposedly, this is so temporary that it only takes place during the “high.� No one is sure if it effects your immune system long-term and if you smoke pot, you probably have no idea how much time really lapses when you’re high. (Don’t you hate that?!)

Alcohol, on the other hand, is extremely taxing for your liver. Your liver is only able to metabolize half an once of alcohol per hour (around one drink). If you consume more than that, the alcohol goes to every other part of your body until it can be processed. Since your liver is so busy processing this small amount of alcohol, it has a hard time processing fatty foods so your liver basically packs this fatty stuff away as triglycerides. A lot of people on Accutane, myself included, have very high triglyceride levels. Your liver will also release a lot of free-radicals throughout your body as a result of being so hung up with that one, silly beer.

There are many other negative effects that alcohol has on your liver. Since your body is busy processing an extremely high form of synethic Vitamin A, why add the additional stress of a few drinks?

(Okay - -I know I'll still have drinks with my friends this weekend but at least I can now feel guilty about it)

I don’t fool myself enough to believe in such a thing as free will. If that were the case, people would fall in love based off of ideals and not off of some pre-determined path aligned for them by a strange mixture of nature and nurture and mythology. My mother once told me that we all gravitate towards our own personal hells and I believe that. Free will is as much as a delusion as actually believing that the world around you truly exists. I get angry at our inability to see through the fabric. Some nights, I lie in bed trying to believe that the bed beneath me isn’t there (because it isn’t) but I never hit the floor. Damn grip on “reality!�

There was some quote by Sylvia Plath (Tulips) wherein she describes a country as far away as her health. We could use that less philosophical and more romantic approach to this question…

where is the bud, got the dutch ready.........i remember the days of smoking half a oz of mids a day along with a blunt of some chronic....but thank god i wasn't my #1 customer, that would have been a waste of good money

Heh, this is all good to know. I just got my blood test two days ago, so I shoul dbe starting soon. Lets hope this goes well!

heres a clear answer on this board: marijuana does not affect you on your course of accutane. i was smoking weed twice a week at least while on accutane and I was fine. I wouldnt worry.

weed doesnt harm you unless you smoke it everyday twice a day.. like if ur a serious stoner.. if u do it like a few times a week with friends for fun u shud be cool

Guest Craigems

whatever idiot that says smoking is only bad for you if you do it once. is just that .. and idiot. But dont let me spoil your fun, i'm just saying your a dope (pun hah) but meh its your choice.

Doesnt hinder tane so meh.

I prefer not to torture my body and destroying my health (even a little bit) with harmful grass/chemicals. I feel guilty for drinking coffee! But I have to

smoking a few times a week won't do any damage eh... that's the stupidest and most immature thing I have ever heard.

well, marijuana is the safest of the controlled substances.. safer than alcohol. the only really bad thing about it is the smoke which can be avoided using a vaporizer. when i used to smoke a lot back in the day i never felt addicted or anything it was just something to do to kill time. i haven't smoked for about 6months now and i have no real desire to start again. i don't think using a vaporizer to consume thc 3 times a week would do much to your body besides make you a lil more tired, thats what it did to me.

other drugs, on the other hand like cocaine and e are harder to give up. i haven't done either of those for about 4months (due to tane) but if those were on the table i'd probably do them