Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoLimiT

SUPPORT NEEDED BADLY!

I'm sorry to waste your time for reading this but I'm falling into depression. It's not a serious depression. I'm just depressed over things that have been going on with my Accutane course. There is a possibility I might have to stop taking Accutane for many reasons...

1.) My insurance doesn't cover Accutane or the generic brand so I have to pay $200 a month and basically if I wanted an insurance company that would cover Accutane then I would have to pay more for insurance.

2.) The STUPID ASS blood test lab charged me $136 for the blood test and it's with insurance. Without inusrance $210. I can't believe they charge you that much for only checking on your cholestrol and liver. The cholestrol test costs $130 w/o insurance. What bullshit!

3.) Add in the doctor visit every month which will be $75 and it just adds in the stress.

4.) It's gotten so expensive my mom wants me to stop taking it. She doesn't know how important this is to me (what a bitch!). She's acting like she doesn't care and that not taking Accutane would be beneficial......FOR HER. She keeps saying I don't need to take Accutane and that I should stop taking it. She just doesn't udnerstand my life....

5.) Can't buy a car because of Accutane. Now I can't hang out with my friends and drive to school. I'm trying to gain my social life back since it was lost when I had bad skin.

Sorry for my complaining but these reasons just added soo much stress for....expecially when my mom said she will make me stop taking Accutane. I've only been on it for a month and it has done wonders to my skin. It made such a difference and now I'm possibly going to lose that and be horrible again. I need your support guys....... I'm starting to get really depressed to the fact that I'm not doing homework anymore and being less active. This stress is killing me!

~JiN

Can you tell your Mom how you feel? Maybe print out what you wrote(edit the "bitch" part razz.gif )and show it to her. Tell her how you really feel and how acne is making you feel, etc.

I don't know if you qualify, but Amnesteem will give the drug to you for free if you qualify. Ask your Dr. Can you get a part-time job?

Hi Emma,

Yes I have told my mom about my acne millions of times. That's why it took me so long to go on Accutane and now she wants me to stop taking it because of the cost. She's just a wishy-washy person. Says this and that and just confuses me.

Where I live they don't offer Amnesteem. They only carry Accutane and Claravis. Yeah it sucks.

About the part time job. I can't get one as of now. I have to many things going on. School, vocal training, and hip-hop dance training. Your probably wondering why I'm training...LONG STORY. I recently got accepted into college and I'm going to major in Pharmacy. It's a difficult major so I'm not sure if I even have time for a job. But I'm still trying to find one...

Hey Nolimit.

Sometimes parents can't see what you're going through because they may not have experienced it before or have forgotten what its like to be unhappy about a feature or something. Im lucky to have very supportive parents when it comes to my accutane adventures and you're so right, it doesnt come slightly cheap. THe only thing i get for free are the blood tests but the rest amounts up. ANyway, I think its important you carry on with the accutane. It does work wonders (im on my 6th month) but the expense is very restrictive. Im not sure what to suggest about the insurance stuff cos its not the same over here in the UK, you either wait and get it all done for very very very little amount of money, practically free or you go private and pay thousands (lucky me who couldnt wait.)

Try to be calm with your mum and be very sincere with her about your feelings. Is she paying for it or you!?

Having a car isnt the end of the world, it just costs petrol!!

Best of luck with all your studies and stuff, you sound like a very interesting fun person and VERY active (i really want to have hip hop dance training... SO COOL)

all the best,

Frankie x

Hey Frankie,

Thanks for your support. I'm not ready to give up on Accutane. It has changed my skin completely in a month. I'm not ready to let it go.

I'm not too sure about insurance either but all I know is that my mom got me...yes only me...the cheap insurance. My mom and dad got the better insurance that acutally covers Accutane. They said they can't get a family plan because their employer doesn't allow.

Yes my mom pays for the Accutane...that's why she wants me to stop taking it.....because of money. She just doesn't get the picture and I tell her my feelings about my acne and still she's not getting it. And the car....well I have many reasons why I need it. Everytime my friends asks me to hang out I always decline them. It would be nice to hang out with people and restarting my social life and regain it since I could not with my acne problems.

Haha...yes I'm very very active but the stress from my issue on Accutane has really gotten to me and made me unactive. I just don't want to have that skin I had before....it was just hell.

~JiN

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having such a shitty time.

At work today we were all generally having a moan that we don't have the resources of the big hospitals in the US. But then when I realise just how much it is all about money over there it makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK. It's an imperfect system, but the patient does come first. It's scandalous that you should have to worry about money for a treatment that I truly believe is life-saving in some cases.

Stick in there.....we've just passed the most expensive time of the year, and I'm sure your parents are stressing because of the excess holiday expense.

Sometimes you just have to be selfish and prioritise your life. This is not just about cosmesis...it's about peace of mind and emotional well-being. Don't feel you have to back down my friend.

x

^

Yes I feel that it's all about money here in the US. I seriously do not understand why drugs and doctor fees cost soo much here. It's truly absurd!

I'm hanging in there..... I've begun to be a little selfish to my parents which I regret but it's for the best. They never treated anything in my life....cold, flu, strep throat, bronchitis, mono....u name it.

Thanks for ur support...it really helps!

^

Yes I feel that it's all about money here in the US.  I seriously do not understand why drugs and doctor fees cost soo much here.  It's truly absurd!

I'm hanging in there.....  I've begun to be a little selfish to my parents which I regret but it's for the best.  They never treated anything in my life....cold, flu, strep throat, bronchitis, mono....u name it. 

Thanks for ur support...it really helps!

The fact you're worrying so much about them means that you are a very considerate person and far from selfish. But as I said....sometimes you just have to prioritise yourself. Gotta just look to the future and not worry so much about the present....easy said I know! 

x

WOW this was a quick resolving issue. LOL! My mom is switching our insurance! What a weird parent! Wishy-washy!!! LOL! I think I'm still resuming my Accutane course! YAY!

Sorry....this insurance and quitting Accutane issue started a few weeks ago and I thought this board would be helpful for a good cheer up. Thanks for all your support though. I feel honored to have a forum like this.

WOW this was a quick resolving issue.  LOL!  My mom is switching our insurance!  What a weird parent!  Wishy-washy!!!  LOL!  I think I'm still resuming my Accutane course!  YAY!

Sorry....this insurance and quitting Accutane issue started a few weeks ago and I thought this board would be helpful for a good cheer up.  Thanks for all your support though.  I feel honored to have a forum like this.

For others with insurance problems, The Roche company has a program to help people get accutane for free if they qualify.

Hey, it was good to read this thread and see all the support you got from everyone here. I just read it from inception to completion and it seems like you are doing a lot better.

I wanted to mention (being an US citizen myself) that pharmacies are willing to have the generic forms of Accutane delivered if they don’t carry them (at least in Jersey). Have your doctor write the next prescription for a cheap, generic form without substitutes allowed. This way, the pharmacy can't push off an expensive brand on you or your mother. It might also work in your benefit and perhaps convince your mom to keep you on Accutane.

I’m happy you’re doing better.

Arpazia,

I'm currently taking the generic form. It's called Claravis and it's $250 cheaper than Accutane. No need to worry. My mom is switching to a differenty insurance company that covers Accutane. My brother has the same insurance company and he gets free blood tests and 40mg of Accutane costs $60. So I'm looking forward to this new insurance company!

Thanks for all your support guys! It really helped!

those prices are crazy, it isn't that bad in the UK I think. Its a difficult situation but accutane is the last resort drug, if that doesn't clear you then not a lot will.

I tell you now, I was never allowed to go on accutane despite having very severe acne. I'd pay that money if I could back then.

Its normal to get a little depressed when life gets stressful, if it goes away. But if it stays for a few months you should see a doctor to talk about it.

Byz

Drugs cost so damn much cuz just in America alone, to get a drug passed (with extensive research and patents) is a hefty $840 million dollars!

I know how you feel. Sometimes just thinking about the cost of trying to treat your face is enough to get anybody down. If you can, TRY, TRY, TRY to get a job! I really think that would help a lot...even if you don't make enough to cover all the costs...at least it would show your mother that you're serious and really want this whole thing. I know that chipping in might make your mother change her mind (if she has to pay half, that's at least better than fronting the whole bill). Besides, sitting at home all day and thinking about your face is not going to do you any better. Making your own dough really makes you think less about your face and could assuage your "depression". Besides, you might have enough money left over to spend it on things you want. Independence. That's what you should gain.