Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys!! I’ve noticed that a lot of you are posting threads seeking information regarding taking supplements and vitamins while on Accutane. First of all, check out this link: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=31390

Secondly, following is a list of supplements and vitamins I take daily while on Accutane. This is basically a copy of a post I put under Unlucky’s thread. A lot of the information I am posting below will seem repetitive after following the link but here it is.

Ester-C: This is the most easily absorbed form of Vitamin C. It helps with upkeep of the immune system and the healing of wounds. It also helps with the absorption of other minerals and aids with the production of collagen (which heals scars). I’ve heard that if you smoke, you should take double the dose of Vitamin C. I smoke but I just follow the direction on the label and take the normal dose.

Evening Primrose Oil: Not only does it keep my body hydrated but it is also said to slow down the production of sebum. It also helps to balance hormones and since acne is hormonal, why not?

Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root and Liver Cleanser Supplement: I take all of these because I am on Accutane and Accutane is doing a number on my liver aside from the fact that I am a party-girl. Also, some theories believe that if your liver is congested, your skin will break out. Milk Thistle and Danelion protect. Liver Cleanser cleanses.

Vitamin B Complex: To regulate hormones, boost energy. I’ve also heard that Vitamin B5 is just as effective on acne as any antibiotic.

Iron: I am taking this because I was bruising real easily on Accutane and Accutane is known to cause anemia.

Acidophlus: This is a colon-cleanse supplement and it also provides healthy bacteria for the rest of the digestive system. It can be found in yogurt and anyone on antibiotics should be taking it since antibiotics also kill healthy bacteria.

Silica: This supplement also aids the production of collagen and is excellent for healthy, clear skin, good hair and long nails. I once cleared my skin for three months by taking a skin, hair, nail supplement from GNC then it stopped working. Oh well, it was a good three months…

MSM: My girlfriend recommended this to me. It contains sulfur which is the longest standing anti-acne product out there. Klaron, the topical gel I use. If I’m ingesting it, it might do a better job.

Thiosinaminum: GO recommended this. It is a holistic prescription that is supposed to heal scar tissue. I’ve only been taking it for a month so I haven’t seen results yet but I am hopeful.

I am also taking two supplements to aid in the growth of my hair but why bore you with the details of what those supplements contain.

I don’t take Zinc since it seemed to aggravate my acne besides most people consume enough Zinc on a daily basis. Vitamin E seemed to make my skin really oily so I use Evening Primrose Oil instead. This doesn’t mean that they won’t help out with your skin - - this is just my personal experience. Just remember to follow the recommended doses on the bottle, putting more into your body than suggested won’t make it work any better and could be dangerous.

And lastly, drink a lot of water. Water is the best thing in the world for your body and your skin. I honestly believe this. Since a lot of us are on Accutane, that makes it doubly important to keep your body hydrated. If you feel like going a little further, buy some fresh lemons and add lemon juice to your water. This works as an excellent body-cleanser and I swear it makes my red marks less obvious.

Good luck to everyone and I hope this helps!!! razz.gif

eusa_clap.gif

Thank you SOOO much. I've been taking some stuff but wanted to expand my suppliments but didn't know which ones to add.

I take vitamin c, calcium + D (I live in Minnesota and we really need the D this time of year),vitamin E every other day - makes my skin oily too, and biotin - which is for hair nails and skin.

Where do you get most of your suppliments?

I would LOVE to hear what you're using for your hair. I used to have Really nice long flowing hair but then I went kind of punk rockish and cut it all off, angled it and colored it a few diffrent colors. now Im trying to grow it back out ( I can get it in pigtails and a little ponytail now!!) and would love to find something that helps it grow faster.

Thanks Arpazia, I want to check some of this other stuff out but I want quality vitamins you know? NOt generics.. so please let me know where you get most of yours!

Hey, MS! How are you doing with your treatment anyway?

If I have enough funds, I go to a Health Food Store in Florham Park, New Jersey. For the most part, however, I will buy cheap, generic brands. People usually don’t recommend them because they don’t absorb as well. Unfortunately, between the Accutane, rent, car payments and being in a post-divorced, newly engaged situation, I can’t afford to go too overboard.

That being said, I did splurge a little on the hair-growing supplements which are called FAST. The first supplement contains: Niacin, Folic acid, Vitamin B12, Biotin, DiPanthothenic Acid. Iron, Iodine, Choline Bitartrate, Inositol, Para Amino Benzoic Acid, Fenugreek Seed Extract. The second supplement contains: Alainine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Cystine, Gluamic Acid, Clycine, Histidine, Isoleucine, Lecuine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Trytophan, Tryosine and Valine. (Say that three times fast) I ordered it online. My hair was down to waist and now it is only a few inches under my bra-strap. I’ve only been using it for two weeks now and haven’t seen any abnormal (good) hair growth yet but it’s winter and hair really doesn’t grow too fast during these months. I once did the whole dye-job thing and it took me about a year to get my hair back to looking healthy. I know better now.

The people who post in Diet/Holistic Health should be able to give you some better names of companies besides my CVS/GNC brands.

I buy the generics stuff for all the vitamins from walgreens, I am paying enough for accutane due to my stupid superstitious fear of sticking with the brand accutane from Roche instread of the generics smile.gifsmile.gif

Hey arpazia, all of your info is excellent and thanks for posting this.

Do you ever fear that the liver cleansing medicines will reduce the effect of accutane since tane is stored in liver and then released to the blood , are we getting in the way of how tane is supposed to function.

I could be wrong.

Also this Thiosinaminum stuff, do indents qualify as scar tissue even though it cannot be seen, or is it only raised scars that will benefit from this.

Thanks....

Hi, Unlucky. I was concerned that the liver cleansing supplements were somehow lessening the effects of the Accutane but, if you read my latest post regarding my derm visit, it obviously isn't. Plus, I get the usual side effects of dry eyes, dry skin, chapped lips and (in my case) insomnia and weight loss.

The way the situaiton was explained to me months back is that the Accutane was not working as well as it should have when I first started because my liver was congested. I don't know if my liver was congested or if the dose of Accutane was too high the first time around or what, but right now my skin looks significantly better than it has in months!!! Go 'tane, Go!

As far as the Thiosinaminum pellets go, I hope they heal indented scar tissue since my major area of concern is my right cheek - - filled with indented scars. I've only been using it for a little over a month so its difficult to tell if its doing anything yet.

What I can say is, thanks to Accutane and prednisone and possibly everything else, I don't see too many new scars in my future and that is the most hope I've had in months!!! eusa_dance.gif

Thanks for the informations. Where can you buy all these supplements? Arpazia: Do you order them online or? Would be cool if you had a digi cam and took pictures of the bottles.

It would be even cooler if I was brave enough to take pictures of my face in September vs. pictures of me now. I order some online and others can be found at any GNC or Health Food Store. I've found that Harmon Health & Beauty in East Hanover, NJ, is a great place to find a lot of basic vitamins/supplements for cheap.

When I first decided to give the holistic thing a try to cure my acne, I printed out a list from Acne.Org and brought it to a health food store and discussed each supplement in detail with the counterguy. He was extremely nice, not pushy and gave me great information (very unlike the GNC People). It didn't cure my acne, unfortunately, and I am back on Accutane. Still, I take all of these supplements still since Accutane does do a number on my body.

Guest Craigems

Yeh guys, i would also suggest even though supplements are 100% safe and generally natural, that you dont base your nutrition on them. Alot of the things you eat help in a BETTER way then swollowing pills. When you eat acids in your stomach need to breakdown the foods you eat as a source of breaking down the nutrients allowing for the body to absorb the Vitamins and minerals.

When taking supplements ALWAYS take them during or after a meal, just the same as Accutane, Prednisone, Minocycline etc. If you dont the chance of the medication / supplements being absorbed into the body is approx 25% as effective than eating with the pill.

Also remember nutrition is better in natural circumstances like chicken, fish, red-meat etc. Dont believe taking IRON supplements will keep you healthy however they r better than not taking them. Hence the same with Vitamins and multivitamin tablets alike.

P.S.

Ummm yeh Arpazia i might do a supplement thing on Sports supplements etc, i'll do a lil research into different bodybuilding and cardio supplements before i post as i only know alot about certain ones.