Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all, it took me forever to get the blood work done since I was on steroids for twenty days and had to fast before having the blood drawn. I had to wait until I stopped the prednisone and actually wasn’t starving all the time before getting this done. Being a genius, I decided to have a lot of blood work done in one shot so I also had my hormones tested. This required six vials of blood and I left the lab feeling light-headed.

I speed off to my one-month check-up with my new dermatologist on Friday, a few days after the blood work. Of course, the lab didn’t send him the results yet and he had to call to have them faxed. My triglycerides are a little high. He offered to give me a drug to lower them but it seems stupid to take a drug to cure the side-effects of another drug you’re on.

Anyway, I can’t describe this feeling in any other way than wonderful. biggrin.gif The dermatologist took one look at me and said he had never expected such great results. He showed me a picture of myself from last month and it was strange that I am the same person. Last month, I had several huge, red cysts and red marks every other place. The twenty days of prednisone and the low dose of Accutane worked wonders for my skin. Oh, guys, I wish I had taken pictures from the beginning so you could all really appreciate what is happening with my skin. I have such renewed faith in this drug!!! eusa_dance.gif

So, here is the one-month update. My skin looks wonderful! Yes, there are still red marks but many of them can be hidden by make-up and a lot are turning purple. My skin is smooth but getting pretty dry. I’ve been using a Dove Foaming Cleanser and exfoliating with my hands. I shower at night and allow my skin a break while I sleep. I’ve been using Cetaphil and it hasn’t been breaking me out. I think my skin has finally gotten dry enough to bypass the greasiness of the stuff.

The doctor injected me with three cortisone shots and said that the needle will actually help to break-up scar tissue so that works in my benefit as well. biggrin.gif Now, one stubborn cyst that has been there for months is GONE! And another one that was not so stubborn is also dissolving back into my skin. I think his reaction to my skin alone was one of the best things that has happened to me in a while. I walked out on the street afterwards to go find my fiancé in a bar and smiled at almost everyone. I know this is a very anti-New York thing to do but oh well!!!!

For anyone going through their initial breakout or loosing faith in Accutane, please stick with it. It really does work wonders and my skin is a testament to that fact. As my doctor and I agreed, it can only get better from here.

That's awesome Arpazia! I am so happy for you eusa_dance.gif . It's great that you have your confidence back and you're smiling again. You're right it will only get better, in no time you'll be clear.

I actually have my next derm appointment tomorrow. Although I should be starting my fourth month, I'm just starting my third pack of Accutane because of my two week hiatus and my dose has been lowered. Although I've gotten a little better, I'm still not where I'd like be at this point in my treatment. We'll see what the derm says tomorrow. I'll include a full update after my appointment.

Hey Arpazia , excellent news.

Wow it is so great to see this. When I joined the board a month ago, one of the first posts I read were yours and about the pain you were in and feeling so sad, and within a month your spirits are so high, that is so fucking great !!!!!

Best of luck, I am sure it will definitely get better every month for you...

Hey Arpazia,

Just wanted to say CONGRATS and well done to you for sticking with it. It is a very good feeling to be able to go out holding your head high. Im very very pleased for you. I think that theres about four of us on here that have all come through this together, and Lisa, it is so good to hear that its starting to improve slightly. You WILL get there. Im adament. You are all in my prayers.

How long do you have left on the accutane Arpazia?? I have 23 days and counting down. I can't wait!! Its been a long hard 6.5 months. I can't believe i've been on it that long!! crazy.

ANYWAY GUYS.

KEEP IT UP!!

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Frankie x

Thank you so much, guys!!! All of you have been so supportive. I think I would have lost all hope a few months ago if it wasn't for the encouragement I got here.

TML: Please let me know how your appointment goes. I hope you have the same results as I am having right now.

Frankie: I have no idea how long I am going to be on Accutane and I am even more confused about the entire thing after reading GO's post. Apparently, people are doing three to four month courses. I was thinking maybe eight months but now I need to research more and rethink my situation. Plus, my fiancé and I are very ready for kids. He's almost forty so it's more his biological clock than mine but I want to be well off and far away from Accutane before attempting that scenario.

Oh, I even asked the dermatologist about conceiving and he said that one month off Accutane isn't really long enough. He prefers his patients to take four to six months off. That makes more sense since they say it stays in your system for two months afterwards.

The contradictions of Accutane - - will they ever cease? eusa_think.gif

I KNow!!

THeres so many different does and don'ts on accutane and so much mixed avice. Its enough to give a girla headache!!!

I think it would be wiser to wait maybe 3 or 4 months for the whole concieving thing to be on the safe side. Wow, a baby, that would be marvellous!!

Take care,

Frankie x

HI Arp!!!

Congrats on the progress and congrats on the conception plans. That's wonderful news. I can only imagine how great your skin looks.

With regards to babies, I would wait as long as you can before trying. Remember that there are certain vitamins and minerals that you need to be balanced before conceiving i.e folic acid.

Anywho, yipppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee Such good news.

Keep the good news coming!

Thanks GO. You're right. I have to do that whole prenatal vitamin thing and I am also on maintenance medication for my depression that I need to get off of as well. And Keith (fiance) thought it was going to be easy....HA! Watch, though, I'll be one of those lucky girls who breaks out her entire pregnancy....(please, no!)

Oh - - More on the good news front, one of the partners at my firm just came up to me and asked what I've been doing with my face. She said it is honestly night and day and it's looking good. Compliments rock! biggrin.gif

I actually have my next derm appointment tomorrow.  Although I should be starting my fourth month, I'm just starting my third pack of Accutane because of my two week hiatus and my dose has been lowered.  Although I've gotten a little better, I'm still not where I'd like be at this point in my treatment.  We'll see what the derm says tomorrow.  I'll include a full update after my appointment.

Guest Craigems

fantastic news there Arpazia, it must be all the extra work your've been doing besides taking accutane that has helped accutane work soo quickly and soo well. smile.gif Pleased to hear your progression is awsome.

I gotta get off this prednisone as well :/ i'm starting not to sleep well at night :/