Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drewboy

Please dont discuss pricing with Dr. Y.!!!!!!

I was called the other day and unfortunately Dr. Y is unhappy with me. He says he's had people come in the office telling him they want what I had done. Pricing is based on the individual.

It troubles me that he's mad at me. Please dont discuss pricing wit him based on my situation! Thanks.

I agree with this. It is disrespectful to discuss pricing in such a way and then use it against Dr. Y. Each patient is different in spot treating. Call his office to get pricing on procedures.

The last thing we need is Dr. Y to start refusing to perform procedures on acne.org board members! Let's keep him happy so he stays around for a LONG time.

[/rant]

Sorry! I just want him to be around for as long as possible! There are not enough of him.

I agree with this.  It is disrespectful to discuss pricing in such a way and then use it against Dr. Y.  Each patient is different in spot treating.  Call his office to get pricing on procedures. 

The last thing we need is Dr. Y to start refusing to perform procedures on acne.org board members!  Let's keep him happy so he stays around for a LONG time. 

[/rant]

Sorry! I just want him to be around for as long as possible!  There are not enough of him.

Not that I've been to Dr. Y and although I agree that you shouldn't be discussing pricing, there is no way in hell that he is going to turn down new business, all these doctors are in it for the money period and probably don't give two shits about you personally! He's probably ecstatic that he's gotten so many referals from Acne.org members. He should be thankful that you have recommended him not angry. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Guest niko

Dr. Y is rather old fashioned and a from what i hear a genuinely good doctor, its not just pricing that shouldn't be discussed this entire board needs to not be discussed with him anymore, his office doesn't use the internet and I get the feeling it's giving him the creeps.

Just don't mention this board, he's been doing this for 30 and all of a sudden there is acne.org, I can tell he doesn't like it.

I have to say, this is so disappointing to me. I have, for awhile now, felt increasingly uneasy with some of what I read on this site re Dr. Y. It's a bit strange, but I feel somewhat protective of him. He's such a decent person and so is Cassandra and it really makes me angry to think that some people are giving him flak. This site is about sharing information and mutual help, and to that end I am happy that we are all fully disclosing the details of our experiences with him. However, that information is intended to help each other, not to be used against Dr. Y. I know that most of us have been burned in the past by uncaring or unscrupulous docs out there (me included), and so we operate from a sort of "us v. them" mentality, but that is not necessary with this doc.

TMLgirl, I understand why you would make this assumption without any experiences with Dr. Y, but I can honestly tell you that you are incorrect.

I also feel like some people may be going into this procedure too lightly and with unreasonable expectations for the out come. What bothers me the most is that, as one of the earliest members on this board to have this procedure done and to have reported so extensively on it, I feel a bit responsible for whipping up what sometimes feels like a frenzy. I'm sorry to say this and I certainly don't mean to say that everyone going to see him is part of this frenzy, but there are definitely people out there who seem to me to be losing perspective, and seem not to heed the advice of Dr. Y and others who have gone through this. This is not to be entered into lightly and it is not a panacea, and it is certainly not immediate.

In fact, I now find myself somewhat reluctant to post here anymore because I don't want to fan the flames.

Please people, it is so rare to find a doc like Dr. Y who actually cares about his patients. Please, let's not ruin it for ourselves and others by continuing to overwhelm him with this board and some of the excesses of it.

sincerely,

--leo

I remember when at the office Dr. Yarborough mentioning his "boss," who's Sharon Meyers, the other dermatologist at the office. She bought his practice about five years back. In essence Dr. Yarborough is only an employee there, and although he may be the most gifted and relevant Dr. at the office, he's still an employee and pricing may be out of his hands.

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I'm pretty psyched to see that Dr. Yarborough's office is only a 1/2 hour away from my house. I always have blackheads and small whiteheads on my face, and even though they fade a bit at times, my complexion is never "good." Thankfully, it is a lot better than it was when I was younger. This is really the only area of my life that I have no control over. I am fortunate because I have a very loving husband and awesome daughter who love me with all of their hearts! My husband is an attorney and when we went to his firm Christmas party, I was horrified to see myself in the restroom mirror. The lighting in the place made me look (at least in my opinion) horrible.

I have long been looking for a dermatologist that will take my mild/moderate acne seriously. The ones that I have seen so far have been non-compassionate, and have sent me out of the office with Retin-A or something similar without taking the time to really find a treatment. Drew, is Dr. Y so good that you traveled all of the way from Texas to see him? Can you share what exactly dermabrasion is and give a ballpark figure for how much it costs(if not, I completely understand). Is it covered by insurance? How much time does Dr. Y spend during an initial consultation, and what exactly does he do during one?

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your pics and experience. (You look great by the way)

Have a great day!

Dianna

Yes, I also spoke to Dr. Y. regarding all the mis-information people are either gathering themselves or recieving here. We also discussed how people want this procedure done, thinking that it will make their skin perfect, WHICH IT WILL NOT. I've seen some posts on here, where people think, "Oh, only if I could get the money to do this than my life would be perfect and if this doesn't help I don't know how I'll go on." Well, I can tell you this, This is my second, and I have no intentions on seeing perfectly unblemished skin when the swelling goes down. I was just looking for ANY improvement!!! And as it turned out I had the opportunity to return again, which I am grateful for.

I keep seeing posts on here that Dr. Y. is "frustrated" with this website. When I had my first one in June, he kinda just asked about it and I told him it was a great place for support and information and that I found it AFTERI was referred to Dr. Yarborough, and AFTERI scheduled my dermabrasion with him.

Again, when I returned, he asked about it and that's when we discussed the above. Futhermore, there were 2 other people there from the org. while I was there and Dr. Y. asked if I knew then and would like to meet them and he also encouraged us to hang out while we were there healing up.

If you have questions regarding pricing, question's about the surgery, or aftercare (I'm mean more than just the basic stuff), I can see why Dr. Y. would get frustrated when you should be calling his office instead of comming here and posting a topic where 50 different people could argue fifty different ways and everyone thinks that they have the right answer when only a fraction have actually had it done.

But generally, I do not think that this website freaks him out. However, I do work in a doctors office, people always call saying, 'well I know so and so, and you did this, for this amount of $$$$." It's going to happen here and there, so Drew Boy don't feel bad, it was an honest mistake. I'm sure Dr. Y. understands.

Hi!  This is my first time posting, and I'm pretty psyched to see that Dr. Yarborough's office is only a 1/2 hour away from my house.    I always have blackheads and small whiteheads on my face, and even though they fade a bit at times, my complexion is never "good." Thankfully, it is a lot better than it was when I was younger.   This is really the only area of my life that I have no control over.  I am fortunate because I have a very loving husband and awesome daughter who love me with all of their hearts!  My husband is an attorney and when we went to his firm Christmas party, I was horrified to see myself in the restroom mirror.  The lighting in the place made me look (at least in my opinion) horrible.

I have long been looking for a dermatologist that will take my mild/moderate acne seriously. The ones that I have seen so far have been non-compassionate, and have sent me out of the office with Retin-A or something similar without taking the time to really find a treatment.  Drew, is Dr. Y so good that you traveled all of the way from Texas to see him?  Can you share what exactly dermabrasion is and give a ballpark figure for how much it costs(if not, I completely understand).  Is it covered by insurance?  How much time does Dr. Y spend during an initial consultation, and what exactly does he do during one? 

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your pics and experience.  (You look great by the way)

Have a great day!

Dianna

See questions like this, you live a half an hour away, if your'e serious about this JUST CALL DR. Y. AND GET A CONSULTATION!!!!!!

Yes- Your post is very abrasive. I actually feel tears coming to my eyes. This is my first time EVER posting to such a board, and I thought that I would get support, but instead I received such harsh treatment and criticism. If you have gotten so much help from someone else because of a board like this, why are you so bitter against those who are looking for help? If you even read my post, you would see that I have been to SEVERAL different doctors, and as Leo wrote, "burned in the past by uncaring or unscrupulous docs out there," so I was just inquiring about what makes this dr. different.

As to why I don't "call and get a consultation," I am a stay-at-home mom, and we have an exuberant amount of student loan debt, so any money that I use will be coming out of my daughter's college savings account. I guess I should have phrased it better, but my question regarding pricing refers really to any dermatologist initial appointment, not just this one in particular. I have absolutely no idea what dermabrasion, and therefore am not considering it as a treatment option. I was just inquiring as to what it is.

Regarding my insurance question- Because of a raise in premiums, I had to discontinue my insurance policy, so my daughter could continue to be covered. We will be switching to my husband's firm's insurance in May, and I just wanted to know if I should wait until then, or if this (acne, not dermabrasion) type of treatment is covered. I heard from a friend that it is no longer covered with her insurance.

Geez Louise, if this is the type of "support" I can receive on such board, I guess that its better to stay on my own. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

I also feel like some people may be going into this procedure too lightly and with unreasonable expectations for the out come. What bothers me the most is that, as one of the earliest members on this board to have this procedure done and to have reported so extensively on it, I feel a bit responsible for whipping up what sometimes feels like a frenzy.  I'm sorry to say this and I certainly don't mean to say that everyone going to see him is part of this frenzy, but there are definitely people out there who seem to me to be losing perspective, and seem not to heed the advice of Dr. Y and others who have gone through this.  This is not to be entered into lightly and it is not a panacea, and it is certainly not immediate.

See questions like this, you live a half an hour away, if your'e serious about this JUST CALL DR. Y. AND GET A CONSULTATION!!!!!!

Yes-  Your post is very abrasive.  I actually feel tears coming to my eyes.  This is my first time EVER posting to such a board, and I thought that I would get support, but instead I received such harsh treatment and criticism.   If you have gotten so much help from someone else because of a board like this, why are you so bitter against those who are looking for help?  If you even read my post, you would see that I have been to SEVERAL different doctors, and as Leo wrote, "burned in the past by uncaring or unscrupulous docs out there," so I was just inquiring about what makes this dr. different. 

As to why I don't "call and get a consultation," I am a stay-at-home mom, and we have an exuberant amount of student loan debt, so any money that I use will be coming out of my daughter's college savings account.  I guess I should have phrased it better, but my question regarding pricing refers really to any dermatologist initial appointment, not just this one in particular.  I have absolutely no idea what dermabrasion, and therefore am not considering it as a treatment option.  I was just inquiring as to what it is. 

Regarding my insurance question-  Because of a raise in premiums, I had to discontinue my insurance policy, so my daughter could continue to be covered.  We will be switching to my husband's firm's insurance in May, and I just wanted to know if I should wait until then, or if this (acne, not dermabrasion) type of treatment is covered.  I heard from a friend that it is no longer covered with her insurance.

Geez Louise, if this is the type of "support" I can receive on such board, I guess that its better to stay on my own. sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

Yes-  Your post is very abrasive.  I actually feel tears coming to my eyes.  This is my first time EVER posting to such a board, and I thought that I would get support, but instead I received such harsh treatment and criticism.  If you have gotten so much help from someone else because of a board like this, why are you so bitter against those who are looking for help?  If you even read my post, you would see that I have been to SEVERAL different doctors, and as Leo wrote, "burned in the past by uncaring or unscrupulous docs out there," so I was just inquiring about what makes this dr. different. 

As to why I don't "call and get a consultation," I am a stay-at-home mom, and we have an exuberant amount of student loan debt, so any money that I use will be coming out of my daughter's college savings account.  I guess I should have phrased it better, but my question regarding pricing refers really to any dermatologist initial appointment, not just this one in particular.  I have absolutely no idea what dermabrasion, and therefore am not considering it as a treatment option.  I was just inquiring as to what it is. 

Regarding my insurance question-  Because of a raise in premiums, I had to discontinue my insurance policy, so my daughter could continue to be covered.  We will be switching to my husband's firm's insurance in May, and I just wanted to know if I should wait until then, or if this (acne, not dermabrasion) type of treatment is covered.  I heard from a friend that it is no longer covered with her insurance.

Geez Louise, if this is the type of "support" I can receive on such board, I guess that its better to stay on my own. sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

Yes, you did specicially ask what dermabrasion is and what the cost was, which was asked not to be discussed by Drew Boy and Dr. Y. himself.  This topic was about Dr. Y.'s frustration with the website giving wrong information and that is why it is best to pick up the phone and make the calls, hence the reason for my response to you.

All due respect, but Dr. Y has no authority over this board and what is asked. It was a very valid question and is asked about every other procedure. It is invariably the first question asked and she did say "ballpark."

Yes, I understand that, but Drew Boy probably felt really bad and embarrassed when he got that phone call from Dr. Y. I also am not a memeber of a cult.  And I did not rip anyone's head off. Your comments were much more harsh, insensitive, and unnecessary than mine. I was just trying to say that she has an advantage a close drive for a consult and a phone call would be the best place to start.  If I knew that she was new, I may have phrased it a bit differently, however, I disregard thread counts.

I just know what it feels like to be embarassed. I did not mean to be that harsh on her.  However when you have to return to someone's office and he asks questions regarding all the misinformation on the board, it's kinda hard to feel like he's thinking that you may be responsible.

Leopolda, I agree with you completely. I do think you were a little generous with TML....I feel a little defensive when people make uninformed remarks about Dr. Y. This man does not need money nor additional patients. He gets plenty of referrals from other Dr.'s around the country. He is kind and genuinely cares about his patients, he's an excellent Dr. and talented surgeon. Immature, unsubstantiated remarks and blather are unhelpful and unproductive. I'm not part of a cult following either. I can tell you that I'm in shock about how well my dermabrasion turned out. I'm 15 days post op and absolutely elated with my results. Dr. Y told me that I may become disheartened around the 3rd week post derm as some scars may seem to re-appear somewhat, but I can tell you that at this very moment I have 100% improvement. This is the first I've reported about my excellent improvement because I've wanted to wait until after the 3rd week to see if scars do indeed return. Dr. Y has exceeded my expectations.....enough said.

Emmanueul, am i correct in thinking that you have never had dermabrasion before in your life...........? Also Dr Yarborough himself even tells people with very shallow scarring that they will get significant improvement with only one dermabrasion, and that they more than likely not even need a second, although he does however leave the decision up to the patient themsleves.

Emmanuel,

Thanks so much for your help. I will certainly be looking into the post that you have listed regarding finding a dermatologist, pricing, etc.. This is the first time in a long time that I have considered seeking treatment for my acne, and the very first acne message board that I have ever participated with. To be honest, it is pretty intimidating to openly "talk" about this "silent" enemy that I have been living with for soon to be half of my life. I really don't discuss my acne with anyone, and know that it really affects me physicologically, and is always a focal point of my private life. My face did not start breaking out until I was 18, and I am now 31. I have seen about ten dermatologists, and I have been on a gammet of pills/topical medications, but gave up because nothing has worked. I have absolutely no idea where to start looking for help. I think that your posts on this message have been very honest and impartial and for the record, if you wouldn't have responded to prior posts, I probably would not have returned to this site.

Yes but annabell you have rather bad scarring (severe) where as i am talking about very shallow, therefore emma is not correct. if on the other hand i were talking about severe scarring then, yes of course you would need a few dermabrasions.

I also agree that some people are maybe setting there sights to high, and probably are going to be dissapointed after only one dermabrasions. but i for one am not one of those people, i know that i amn't going to get great results after only one, even though my scarring isnt severe i plant to have at the very least, 2 full face.

Sorry i know this is kind of changing the subject.....

I thought by putting "some people" in italics I would stress I don't think it is all people who post about Dr. Y. I do think a good majority of the people have very unrealistic expectations and have elevated Dr. Y to an unhealthy point, which is probably evident to him and why he is so uncomfortable with this board and discussion of him.

I am not saying people will not get good results. I was only concerned with people requesting that we make special rules regarding Dr. Y and dermabrasion. This board should not be influenced by an outside party to that extent if it is going to be a helpful and impartial place to get information on Physicians and scar procedures. You do not have to answer questions regarding price if you do not want to, but please be tactful. In addition, I am sure no one would want to offend Dr. Y and if it is explained tactfully they would understand.

I would like all of us to get along as well. smile.gif