Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maingon

any over-the-counter products for melasma

i have very light on my forehead. Not very visiable yet but i notice it and i dont want to get worse. I went to the dermentalogist. and he gave me renti-a micro. and i break out bad when i use this so i stopped. Becuase i never had bad acne . I was gonna go back and see what else they have but wanna see if theres anything over the counter.

Linda Sy has a product that has been rated on makeupalley.com that has been very helpful for some with melasma. The product is called Acne Oil Control Gel and can be bought online at LindaSy.com. Hth!

Linda Sy has a product that has been rated on makeupalley.com that has been very helpful for some with melasma. The product is called Acne Oil Control Gel and can be bought online at LindaSy.com. Hth!

Here's a link to a great melasma message board. I find the search engine to be a pain, but if you have melasma (and are as miserable as everyone else is about it), I'm sure you'll have plenty of patience and interest to search through the posts.

In short, most people find that the more agressive you are with your treatment of melasma, the worse it gets (and sometimes spreads!!!). Weigh the pros and cons of any treatment. Read what others have to say. Stay away from hydroquinone bleaching products. Avoid any scrubs or peels (people have had horrible results with chemical peels). Stay out of the sun. Wear an SPF with physical sunblockers (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) every day. The melasma gets darker because of sun exposure. Any treatment you do will be negated by not protecting your skin from the sun.

Here's the link. Good luck.

http://skincarerx.com/rosacea/list.php?f=4