Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so for a really long time now, i've suspected that something is horribly wrong wiht my hormones. i'm 24 and i have acne. i know this is normal for some people in their twenties, but i didn't have acne for a good two years and now it's worse than it's ever been. i just always instinctually knew my hormone levels were abnormal. so i went to my family doctor about three years ago and had him test my hormones. everything came out to be "within normal limits." even though i knew there was something wrong, i stupidly accepted the verdict. then a year ago, i went to my new family doctor because i thought, hey, let's see if her tests will yield different information. the tests she ran gave me the same info: "within normal limits." well about three months ago, when my acne decided to return with a vengeance, i decided i was going to get the answer i KNEW was right--that my hormones were fucked up. well this time i went to a dermatologist i'd heard of on TV and had her run some tests, and guess what. my dhea levels are 175 PAST normal. i'm WAY past the normal range. i don't know how those two fucking idiots before this dermatologist got "within normal limits," but mine are approaching the dangerous zone. if my dhea levels get any higher, i could have to face dealing with tumors!

anyway, how is this related to acne? high dhea levels cause acne, along with excessive hair growth (hirsutism), breast cysts, fatigue, and anger and depression. if i had listened to those two fuckers who call themselves doctors, i would still be nowhere. anyway, i have an appointment this Friday with an endocrinologist (a hormone doctor) and i'm hoping to God that she'll finally cure me of this shit.

to those of you who KNOW there's something going on with your hormones, don't listen to ignorant people who tell you you're ok. one of those so-called doctors told me she hadn't seen better hormones than mine!!! what the hell is HER definition of great hormones when mine are completely abnormal???

apparently, unless you get your dhea levels back to normal, your acne will still be an issue. get your hormones checked, guys--by intelligent people. yeah, they're hard to find, but be persistent. this could be why your acne is always a problem or why it's only temporarily gone.

here's a quick overview on dhea, written by a doctor. i found it online...

What is DHEA?

DHEA is short for dehydroepiandrosterone (D-hi-dro-epp-E-an-dro-ster-own), a hormone made by the adrenal glands located just above the kidneys. Scientists have known about this hormone since 1934. More than 150 hormones are made by the adrenal glands. However, the most abundant hormone made by the adrenal glands is DHEA. After DHEA is made by these glands it goes into the bloodstream, and from then on it travels all over the body and goes into our cells where it is converted into male hormones, known as androgens, and female hormones, known as estrogens. Small amounts of DHEA are also made in the brain by neurons (brain cells).

you are right mate. I have a hormonal imbalance and this is why I break out mainly on the chin. I take Evening primrose oil gel caps now as it is used to control hormones and keep them intact. How I know also, is cause I have excessive hair growth, like its just pathetic. I have to cut my hair every 3 days to not turn into king kong. Its pathetic, I cut it and the next day you can visibly see hair growth.

I will give you one situation how I know hormones is what causes my breakouts or makes it worse.

I had a really bad red mark (still here today but almost gone) about 8 days ago. I got so stressed over it, and my hormones were going nuts, my chin got itchy for a couple days and broke out with 3 new zits. THese will leave red marks too sad.gif grrrr

So 1 mark, leading into 5 now

this is why I truly believe with my excessive hair growth and acne are linked together. I am going to look into seeing a hormone DR this week. Hopefully it wont be a long wait and wont cost an arm and leg to visit.