Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UK_Guy

Acidophilus and Antibiotics

I was thinking that maybe as I'm currently taking oral erythromycin (400mg, twice a day) it would be a good idea to take probiotics (e.g. acidophilus). What do people think - good idea or will the erythromycin just kill the probiotic bacteria?

Also - if you think its a good idea to take acidophilus. when should I take it? I usuallly have one erythromycin tablet in the morning after breakfast, and one at bedtime.

Thanks

Paul

I took one with every meal when I was on antibiotics. Now I'm taking them when I remember, to finish the bottle.

I take acidophilus daily and think that is especially important for people on antibiotics. Antibiotics kill good bacteria as well as bad. From my minocyclin/acidophilus experience, it doesn't change the effectiveness of the drug.

It really helped me with the stomach problems I got. I didn't find it changed the effectiveness for me either.

Guest Craigems

Vegans dont drink milk? i didnt know that ... it aint exactly a dead animal ... milk = yoghurt.

Anyways... Yeh i would suggest eating yoghurt also, one of the richest sources of protein, and enzyms. Helps prevent you from getting sick.

If i were a vegan i'd have yoghurt smile.gif

Vegans dont drink milk? i didnt know that ... it aint exactly a dead animal ... milk = yoghurt.

Anyways... Yeh i would suggest eating yoghurt also, one of the richest sources of protein, and enzyms. Helps prevent you from getting sick.

If i were a vegan i'd have yoghurt smile.gif

Guest Craigems

fair enough. Taking supplements then?

Guest Craigems

yeh, your body needs lots more protein and iron than really anything else ... because thats what keeps your muscles strong. If you dont get enough of that into you you'd be a stick and lathargic. So make sure you keep your protein, iron and calcium levels high. More so than the vitamins (yet still very important). I'm sure your doctor or someone will make sure your fine anyways, important to have a physical checkup specially if your a vegetarian coz of some deficiencies some people can get from a strict food group. All the best.

yeh, your body needs lots more protein and iron than really anything else ... because thats what keeps your muscles strong. If you dont get enough of that into you you'd be a stick and lathargic. So make sure you keep your protein, iron and calcium levels high. More so than the vitamins (yet still very important). I'm sure your doctor or someone will make sure your fine anyways, important to have a physical checkup specially if your a vegetarian coz of some deficiencies some people can get from a strict food group. All the best.

I was thinking that maybe as I'm currently taking oral erythromycin (400mg, twice a day) it would be a good idea to take probiotics (e.g. acidophilus). What do people think - good idea or will the erythromycin just kill the probiotic bacteria?

Also - if you think its a good idea to take acidophilus. when should I take it? I usuallly have one erythromycin tablet in the morning after breakfast, and one at bedtime.

Thanks

Paul