Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lurker704

Accutane and supplements?

I will be starting Accutane soon and I have a few questions. I work out, and as a result I am taking some supplements. Nothing that isn’t natural or anything.

I know you can’t have vitamin A and currently I am taking Twinlab Daily One. So, I know have to stop that as it contains 6000IU [.2064mg I think?] but want to know if there are any other vitamins I cannot have, since I want to get the others in.

Also what about whey protein I am currently taking, Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein. Will this need to go? Hopefully not but I would rather not see any gains for 3 months then have any long term effects.

Those are pretty much the only two supplements I take and I’m wondering what kind of changes I need to make. Thanks!

Guest Craigems

Dude get off the protein. I was taking iso90 whey protein and it made me breakout chronic ... so bad i just went on accutane. The amount of sugar influx they put in to make the protein bind and breakdown in the body is bad for the skin (personal experience) but yeh.

Get off the protein till after the accutane thats what i'm doing. I went on protein 2 weeks ago for a week again (whilst on accutane) and as soon as i went on it i broke out again. So stick to skinless chicken, fish and skim milk bro.

All the best i hope ur acne gets kicked in the nads.

Thanks, I figured there would be a reason not to take whey. I will just go into a cut phase rather then bulk. I'm getting close to a six pack maybe this will push me over. My acnes not super bad, it's just strong and nothing else will finish it off. Hopefully Acctane will finish it off and not give me any bad side effects. Thanks for the help.

Dude get off the protein. I was taking iso90 whey protein and it made me breakout chronic ... so bad i just went on accutane. The amount of sugar influx they put in to make the protein bind and breakdown in the body is bad for the skin (personal experience) but yeh.

Get off the protein till after the accutane thats what i'm doing. I went on protein 2 weeks ago for a week again (whilst on accutane) and as soon as i went on it i broke out again. So stick to skinless chicken, fish and skim milk bro.

All the best i hope ur acne gets kicked in the nads.

Guest Craigems

I have been doing some research on whey protein, and i finally found out that its NOT the protein itself its the stuff they put in to get the flavour. As far as i'm aware if you take protein without the flavours and take it with milk or whatever it doesnt give you acne. I'll write up a post in more detail.

Dunno i dont even know if its the sugar or what ... some protein does contain no sugar or less sugar, other protein has heaps and others say they have none. I'd say look try it for about a week if you dont breakout too much give it a month and if u start breaking out STOP.

I have been doing some research on whey protein, and i finally found out that its NOT the protein itself its the stuff they put in to get the flavour. As far as i'm aware if you take protein without the flavours and take it with milk or whatever it doesnt give you acne. I'll write up a post in more detail.

Dunno i dont even know if its the sugar or what ... some protein does contain no sugar or less sugar, other protein has heaps and others say they have none. I'd say look try it for about a week if you dont breakout too much give it a month and if u start breaking out STOP.

Guest Craigems

i mix with milk, 2% Vitamin A is okay. its just like a whole load of vitamin A with Accutane can hinder it. I'm pretty sure natural amounts is fine, according to the many posts i have read on this board. Its more the multi vitamin tablets that screw it up.

Good info to know. I take Optimum 100% Whey Protein, Chocolate. I don't see any optimum unflavored, nor do I think I'd want to try it. I don't want to break out though. So I'm still undecided, it's too bad there is not more info on this topic.

Guest Craigems

im gonna go a Whey protein post, in regards to acne and supplements maybe towards the end of this week or early next week when i get time. GOnna combine some research.

I take a lot of vitamins and supplements. Soy, whey etc. They don't make me break out. lol.gif Some ppl just take it too far! what does sugar and all these vitamins n supplements has to do with acne? eusa_naughty.gif

Hey, does Whey Protein make you gain weight? I just realized its in one of the hair growth supplements I am taking and am worried?

Guest Craigems

if your not exercising it sure does Arpazia ... excess protein not being used by the muscle is stored as fat.

Guest Craigems
that is of course, untrue. It depends on the total caloric intake. Any calories above maintenance (excluding the addition needed to add LBM) are stored as fat. Protein is a poor energy source, and is rarely stored as fat.

I'm not taking any chances. Does anyone want a bottle of Whey Protein? Does that go against the disbursing of drugs rule? lol.gif

I'm not taking any chances.  Does anyone want a bottle of Whey Protein?  Does that go against the disbursing of drugs rule? lol.gif