Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As some people on this board have found success with dermabrasion, TCA cross, subcision, etc. - I was wondering how you formulated your progress percentage?

If someone claims they got 50% improvement in their scars, does that mean half of them are eliminated - or are they figuring that amount on the scar itself?

I have a few scarred pores that have been completely eliminated by needling, and I have some boxcars that have around 30-60% improvement on the individual scar itself.

So, I was just wondering how everyone else figures out their personal progress?

Hi there...i could be wrong but i think the % is being referred to each individual scar and how well it responded to treatment.

I read your post and I must ask you, did you perform the needling yourself, or did you have someone do it? And also, how many treatments did it take for your scarred pores to be eliminated completely? Because that is exactly what I am trying to get rid of! any info would be great!!!! smile.gif

Hi Happy*gal,

Yes, I performed the needling on myself. I needled my scarred pores about once a month (sometimes two) for several months. At first the pores had taken on a linear shape, but after awhile they blended in with my natural pore size.

I'm personally an advocate of seeking a professional when dealing with scar treatments, but here in Utah I'm pretty limited. If you're going to needle yourself, please take extreme caution - as I've heard some people got infections from their needles.

I'm wishing you much success.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I judge my percentage through looks from the individual scars or scar areas and the whole face appearance.

Now my focus also is shifted towards the 'whole face look' instead of focusing on little bitsy scars here and there.

At this point I'm still experimenting with the 50% TCA only for the deeper ice picks, 25% for the scars similar to pores, 12.5% for bigger areas/rolling scars types. I managed to mess up my skin with the 50% before that gave me THREE red marks with one area actually ate up my skin so it's depressed area now, that's why I use it specifically only to probably about 10 scars.

Just got some 55% and 65% lactic. I'm actually wearing the 55% now as I'm typing this.

The way I "judge" my face is like this:

I look probably within 10 inches to the mirror to do my treatments and check my progress.

BUT

To see how my whole face changes or improve, I take a step back 2 feet and see if my whole appearance changes at all.

The mistake with many of us here....we keep putting our faces to the mirror and say "Gaaawt my life is aliving heeell I got a huge scar!!" Off course it'll look bad that way, cause you focus all your attention in the bathroom 5 inches from the mirror with all the lights looking at it. Looking at it so close our noses practically touching the mirrors.

Believe it or not, I'm MUCH less critical of my appearance these days after I cut down my visit here. I'm still here to occasionally give my .02 cents and share my experiences (with smoothbeam, TCA, lactic) but lately I'm moving towards sharing the improvements on how we see ourselves more than improving one or two scars.

Ironically- I've never felt uglier and unwanted until I spent a bit too much time here. If I see people complaining about one or two red marks and scars (especially the women) I wonder what they'd think if they see ME? And yet, they would say stuff like "I'd date guys with scars, or acne." eusa_think.gif Then again, could be the age thing (most women here are still young while most people I know in real life are late 20s to early 30s). I actually mentioned to four of my co-workers about needling, smoothbeam, etc...and they all gave me the 'look' like it shouldn't even in my consideration. One day I decided to just limit my visit only to scar treatment once in a while, and my self esteem went back up.

Sorry for the rant.

Obi, how is the 25% TCA working out for you? I'm planning to use that on my very shallow scars, and was wondering what sort of results you've had so far.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Obi, how is the 25% TCA working out for you?  I'm planning to use that on my very shallow scars, and was wondering what sort of results you've had so far.

Hi Luna-

Depends what kind of scars you're trying to treat. After my mishap with 50% on my rolling scars...I'm advising people NOT to treat their rolling scars with the 25% or higher TCA. IF you've done some TCA before, probably you could try experimenting with the 12.5% and go REALLY conservative on it.

I wanna say the 25% probably gave me about 5% improvements? I'm not sure. But I've just finished my second 50% TCA now and following OldGuy's advise, I didn't put ANY topicals at all and I went really careful on the treatment (really only put the toothpick tip INSIDE the scars). Didn't mess with the scabs AT ALL until it falls by itself. Now, the redness may linger for 2-3 weeks for me, but I noticed probably about 10ish% improvements on my biggest icepick. I'm definitely not hoping for 100% as long as it looks soft and somewhat filled in the bathroom mirror, it certainly will look much better from 1-2 feet away in person IMO.

I also drink more water and taking the colostrum pills, HA, Multivit A/C/MSM supplements everyday too.

My scars are definitely worse than many of the people here, BUT as far as my own goals and judging from the people around me, there are definitely noticeable improvents in my overall appearance, which can't only be credited to TCA. You can check out my gallery too and comment on it.

Thanks

OBi

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
My scars are extremely shallow, almost superficial indentations that don't really show up in pictures.  They're more like unevenness in the skin rather than clearly defined depressions.  (As for depth, I'd estimate maybe as deep as a sheet of paper is thick, somewhere around there.)  I was thinking a 25% TCA peel might clear them up nicely given that they are so very shallow.

thanks so much for the info Miss Proxility....i think i'm going to give this a shot. i'll use a 30 gauge needle. i'll let you know how it goes!! thanks again...all the best!!

I don't think you need to go that aggressive then. Probably a 12.5% TCA or even 55-65% lactic (or even smoothbeam) might take care of your problem.

Obi what you say is 100% correct. And i never felt bad about my skin before i started coming here. Some people are so damn critical of themselves. I had a lot worse skin then i have now when i started coming here, and i never even thought about it, now i think about it a lot more often, it's because of this website.

Limit your visits here and you feel totally different.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Obi what you say is 100% correct. And i never felt bad about my skin before i started coming here. Some people are so damn critical of themselves. I had a lot worse skin then i have now when i started coming here, and i never even thought about it, now i think about it a lot more often, it's because of this website.

Limit your visits here and you feel totally different.

Hello Miss Pro. I'm glad to hear you have had improvement from needling. I was wondering if you could tell me where you ordered your needles from?

Hi Happy*gal,

Yes, I performed the needling on myself.  I needled my scarred pores about once a month (sometimes two) for several months.  At first the pores had taken on a linear shape, but after awhile they blended in with my natural pore size. 

I'm personally an advocate of seeking a professional when dealing with scar treatments, but here in Utah I'm pretty limited.  If you're going to needle yourself, please take extreme caution - as I've heard some people got infections from their needles.

I'm wishing you much success.

My daughter has "shallow" ice pick scarring. This may be what u have. They are 1mm or less and shallow. I have ordered 25% TCA and I am going to try TCA Cross on 1 of her shallow ice pick scars. She has very thin skin and very prone to scarring, so I am playing it safe by starting out with a lower % TCA. I saw a poster on here who said they had shallow ice pick scarring and that the 25% TCA took care of her scars.

-Hi AliaD,

I didn't order my needles, but purchased them at a local store. I went with the smallest tip I could find, since I was extremely worried that using a larger head might create an oversized hole, or worsen the scar.

I, personally, don't advocate self needling - as I feel a trained professional (with experience) should be the one who performs this procedure. But I couldn't find anyone in my area. Although if you're going to perform it on yourself, please take caution, as some people have got infections.

-Hello Ruperki,

The scarred pores I needled were shallow, yet enlarged.

Icepick scars are narrow, sharp scars that make the skin appear it has been punctured with an icepick. They are usually narrower than 2 mm and extend into the deep dermis or subcutaneous layer.

Miss Prolixity, once again congrats on your improvement! I was wondering what store you bought the needle(s) you used. I too am not an advocate of self treatment but am curious.

-Hi AliaD,

I didn't order my needles, but purchased them at a local store.  I went with the smallest tip I could find, since I was extremely worried that using a larger head might create an oversized hole, or worsen the scar. 

I, personally, don't advocate self needling - as I feel a trained professional (with experience) should be the one who performs this procedure.  But I couldn't find anyone in my area.  Although if you're going to perform it on yourself, please take caution, as some people have got infections.

-Hello Ruperki,

The scarred pores I needled were shallow, yet enlarged. 

Icepick scars are narrow, sharp scars that make the skin appear it has been punctured with an icepick. They are usually narrower than 2 mm and extend into the deep dermis or subcutaneous layer.

Hello Ruperki,

Here are a few photo's I found on the net that show icepick scarring. The depth and width can vary with each scar.

- http://www.vitalase.com/before12.jpg

- http://www.dermis.net/bilder/CD36/img0090.jpg

Also, I personally haven't performed TCA cross (although I've been highly interested) on myself, but if you're going to have it done - I'd definitely find a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who has experience in this technique. Some people have had some negative results by not going to a professional. It's something not to take lightly.

Hello Ruperki,

Here are a few photo's I found on the net that show icepick scarring.  The depth and width can vary with each scar.

- http://www.vitalase.com/before12.jpg

- http://www.dermis.net/bilder/CD36/img0090.jpg

Also, I personally haven't performed TCA cross (although I've been highly interested) on myself, but if you're going to have it done - I'd definitely find a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who has experience in this technique.  Some people have had some negative results by not going to a professional.  It's something not to take lightly.

Ruper - mine sound like yours too. it looks like someone poked my face with a needle.

OBI you made me laugh so hard in your post !! that whole part about looking so close your nose is touching the mirror and staring for hours and hours - that is EXACTLY what i do.. it felt good to laugh at myself and try not to take it too seroius... soujdns like you got a great personaltiy! thanks ! for cheering me up about my scars! *hugs*