Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Iceman

The_Iceman's Tazorac Log

I went to the derm yesterday and got a prescription for Tazorac 0.1% cream and 50 mg/day Minocycline. I had been on Differin for three months, but it didn't work very well.

I also sometimes use Benzaclin in the morning as a spot treatment, but I like to moisturize instead as much as possible after showering in the morning or else my skin becomes very dry and flaky. doubt.gif

I'm 17 and I've had mild/moderate (depending on the day) acne for a few years now, since maybe age 13-14. I've been on Tretinoin, Retin-A Micro, Differin, and Tetracycline in addition to over the counter salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide creams and gels. The dermatologist offered me Accutane yesterday, but I declined because I thought my acne wasn't severe.

The dermatologist told me that Tazorac would be "stronger," so I guess that's something to look forward to. It's kind of hard for me to be optimistic, and my experience with acne has been emotionally scarring. I suppose if 12-15 weeks pass and I haven't improved, I'll try Accutane.

Oh yeah, the dermatologist also recommended taking 1,000 mg of Fish Oils/Omega 3 or whatever twice a day when I asked him about it. I plan on starting that soon, but I haven't bought the supplements yet.

Anyways...

DAY 1: Last night, before putting on the Taz, I had a few inflamed red spots on my chin and cheeks, but no whiteheads. (I VERY rarely get any acne on my nose and forehead, but my chin has always been a problem area.) My face actually looked a lot better before I went to be last night than it has been in quite some time. This is probably because I just stopped using Differin about a week ago.

When I woke up this morning, the red areas felt more tender, almost painful. Still no whiteheads, but my face looks very slightly worse. It didn't really get any better or worse during the day. I took my mino at around 6:45 with dinner.

I just put on my second application of the Taz. I'm kind of waiting in fear of an initial breakout right now. I've had bad ones for most of the other mediations I've taken.

Till next time.

DAY 2: First kind of breakout today. Thank god it's a Sunday and I didn't have to go to school or see anyone. Two new pimples and a tender red mark were on my chin when I woke up this morning, so I applied Benzaclin on those small areas.

It's about 5 PM now and the pimples are turning yellowish-brown, which usually means they're fading and dying away. Sweet. The red spot will probably pop into a pimple tomorrow though. Arg. mad.gif

No new active acne on my cheeks; only red marks from acne that went away over a month ago. I hate those things. So far, so good, I guess. Only 11 weeks, 5 days to go! Woo!

I am on the Taz cream 0.1% and dude stick with it. it will clear you. I am on week 7 and see HUGE improvements. whats you're regimen with the taz too?

I use: Day: Phosiderm normal to oily skin cleanser or fresh foaming cleanser by neutrogena and then the sodum sulfacetmide (ovace).

Night: I use the same cleanser and the Taz cream .1%. How about you?

At night and in the shower I use Clean and Clear foaming facial cleanser. I use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Oil Free Moisture in the morning and at night in the areas I don't apply the Taz, and I spot treat with Benzaclin in the morning.

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

DAY 4: MMMkay...took a shower this morning...a layer of skin just came right off my chin. It burns horribly, it's all red, and i'm breaking out. I'm seeing stuff that was very similar to what was happening when I was on Retin-A Micro (which I took for 4 months and made my acne worse overall), that is, pimples that start off tiny and then become huge after 6-10 hours. I think I'm going back to the dermatologist to ask for the lesser concentration. Why must my skin be so sensitive?!

DAY 8: This is very... interesting. I haven't used any Tazorac since day 4 or 3, and I've been taking 1000 mg/day of Omega 3/Fish oil and using Benzaclin at night. My acne has almost completely cleared up. I have no active acne on my chin or cheeks, and only a few red marks on my cheeks from acne that went away a while ago. eusa_dance.gif

I've felt great about myself for the past few days. This is the clearest I've been in maybe a year, and it's also the first time I haven't been taking Retin-A, Differin, or Tazorac at night. Interesting...