Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok I am going to pour my heart out. I joined this site tonight and have NEVER been on a message board.

This is my history with acne. Want to see if anyone can relate.

13 - started getting pimples on my forehead.

17-20 - major acne breakouts all over my face and predominately on my cheeks. Tried many doctor recommendations like: having my face frozed with liquid nitrogen, tried all kinds of soaps, antibiotics, a plastic surgeon also tried slitting broken out areas on my face with a scapel and draining the stuff out. This was absolutely HORRIBLE.

20-25 - Acne died down on face but moved to my chin. this is when I discovered glycolic facials which helped me get rid of the pimples...so the pimples went away and then....

I saw my scars and it hit me...My face was damaged. This devastated me. I went into a depression.

So I pulled myself out of the depression and started to research and said...something must be able to help this. I went to a well known plastic surgeon in NYC and he was so cold and insensitive to me and said there was nothin he could do. Went to another surgeon in my area and he said since I am Italian I would get big huge keloid scars if I tried any treatment so I gave up for a while.

Then I went to another plastic surgeon and suffered through two laser treatments that did not do much. I felt that my skin was "looser" after the treatments. And I was slightly hyperpigmented.

My last try was to go to Dr Fulton in Newport Beach, CA. He has written books on acne and was a sufferer himself. I got a consult and he said he could so a dermabrasion and chemical peel treatment. together and help me improve. He was very nice but I never the treatment cause I was just scared and that was five years ago.

So I am aksing for an opinion:

I have some raised scars on my cheeks, no icepick scars. When I have a tan they aren't as noticeable. But I know it is not good to be tanned. Also, my skin is not a tight as it was before the 2 lasers.

So here is my question:

Is this Dr. Y guy REALLY good. Is he the best? Can I trust him to give me a good opinion. Is he preferable to Dr. Fulton in California? Does he know all the up to date procedures to help with scars? Can he do a mini lift if I need it and has anyone considered this option to assist with scar appearance. Are the improvements that everyone is talking about still as good after all the swelling goes down.

I am so confused but I still want to try to make an improvement. Acne and it's resulting scars have really been a difficult struggle for me. I am sorry to go on and on but I needed to get it out and see what people who have gone throught the same thing think about all of this. Thanks so much for reading this.

Most of us here have suffered with acne for years.

Unfortunately, I don't know the efficacy of dermabrasion for keloids. I would definitely research in depth before proceeding.

There are several topics here by people who have had dermabrasion performed by Dr. Y and the vast majority seem pleased with the procedure. I haven't heard much about Dr. Fulton, so I can't say what the differences are. I think you should make appointments with both Doctors so that you can gague who you are more comfortable with.

Hi, doctor Yarborough is a dermatologist, so you would want to consult with a plastic surgeon for any mini lift. (I don't actually know what you mean by mini lift though, unless you mean something like a feather lift or Thermage) Any plastic surgeon (or dermatologist) has experience with treating common keloid scars; you don't need to find the best doctor in the world or anything. I would guess that the wire wheel doctor Y uses would be too aggressive for that anyway.

Personally, I would try using those silicone scar strips (that are sold over-the-counter) for a couple months, at least while you shop for a doctor. And like OursFan said, do lots of research. Good luck

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...=pubmed+keloids

I seem to recall hearing that a girl sued Dr. Fulton for injecting silcone into her face, which resulted in disfigurement. It was on one of the acne boards a couple years ago. I'm a little sketchy on details, so you might want to do some research.

I seem to recall hearing that a girl sued Dr. Fulton for injecting silcone into her face, which resulted in disfigurement. It was on one of the acne boards a couple years ago. I'm a little sketchy on details, so you might want to do some research.