Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whtx

Fish Oil on Accutane?

Guest Craigems

Fish oil doesnt have Vitamine A in it... its got lots of Omega 3 in it. I've been on fish oil tablets from the day i started accutane. Fish oil as far as i know doesnt improve your skin at all ... its really only a muscle thing. The main use of fish oil tablets and cod liver oil reduces inflammation in the muscles. It helps prevent sore muscles and joint pain, I find when i forget to take my tablets my muscles hurt specially coz i workout alot.

It might improve skin texture but dont hold your breath its not its main purpose... Although i'm a small minority of people who hasnt experienced dry lips as yet... so yeh could help i dont know.

What about flaxseed oil?

I dont want to screw around while on accutane. Could any of them potentially cause any problems or breakouts? Is there any problem taking them both?

Thanks

DO take the fish oil suppliments

As Craigems mentioned, it contains omega-3 fatty acids (pronounced "omega minus 3, because it refers to the 4 carbon in on the opposite side of the functional group pole of the fatty acid) which, among many mnay other things, helps to hydrate the skin. It has been implicated as a prevantative for many etiologies of dry skin conditions such as eczema.

Also, it's GREAT to take with accutane because accutane is hydrophobic, and dissolves very well in fats. It might boost accutane's effectiveness to take at the same time as the fish oil suppliments. Good Luck!!

I don't think it would hurt you. I suggest getting it from food because the body absorbs it better that way, but sometimes that isn't always possible. My eggs have both and I eat a tone of tuna and salmon, so I am good on that front. I don't have dry lips...yet.

I am a bit confused here, Most 1 g fish oil capsules contains Omega-3 marine triglycerides 300mg. Out of that 300 mg consist of EPA 180mg and DHA 120 mg.

DHA is Docosahexaenoic acid (60 mg of DHA equivalent vitamin A 12.5 IU and equivalent Colecalciferol 31.3 nanogram [vitamin D3 1.25 IU])

So while people are saying it is good for you whilw you are on Accutane, it does contains Vit A in it.

Has anyone actually asked their Derm if its ok to take it?

Guest Craigems

Derms dont say you cant have vitamin A. They just say avoid high sources of vitamin A, Fish oil supplements dont contain very much Vitamin A if they do.

I havent had a problem yet.

Seeing as 5,000IU is the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, and derms tell you not to go too far beyond the RDA of vitamin A if at all possible (some will insist on not even taking a multivitamin containing vitamin A and avoiding carrots) , the 12.5 IU in one 300mg fish oil capsule is a quarter of 1 per cent of an amount that even the most demanding derm would allow you to ingest in a given day.

That's less than 1 per cent of a perfectly acceptable amount while on Accutane, so you could take dozens of fish oil capsules all day and not think twice.

I don't think it would hurt you. I suggest getting it from food because the body absorbs it better that way, but sometimes that isn't always possible. My eggs have both and I eat a tone of tuna and salmon, so I am good on that front. I don't have dry lips...yet.

Tuna, whether fresh-caught, canned in oil such as safflower, or, most popular, canned in brine, does contain EFAs but comparatively little. For example, I eat 1 can of tuna every day, which is 65g: 120kcal, 27g protein, 1g fat, includes the EFAs. hehehe, don't why I know that off the top of my head, but there was a period when I was obsessed about healthy eating when I think I memorized all this stuff for grocery shopping! Tuna isn't a great source for EFAs let alone omega-3-- Emmanuel gets her mostly from the salmon, which is extremely rich in omega-3 EFAs, great for your body to make prostaglandins to regulate hormones as well as enhance metabolism and generally work wonders for your system. Some people avoid fish sources of EFAs and fish in general because they believe that virtually all fish stocks are afflicted with mercury poisoning, and sadly there is a degree of truth to this paranoia in that we have done our seeming best as a species to contaminate our planet's most nutritious and bioavailable source of animal protein, but I still eat fish anyway, cuz it's toooo damn good.

The best sources of omega-3 are flaxseed, evening primrose and borage oil.

The best product I've ever used for this is cheapest at http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sun/efa.html.

This is my favorite site for supplements.

Hey Antony,

I believe that evening primrose and borage oil are actually sources of Omega-6, while flaxseed provides an optimum ration of Omega-3's to Omega-6's. If it's Omega-3's you're after, you would be better off going with fish oil. Most people with Western diets get enough 6 in their diets already and really need the benefits of 3- although some think there are special benefits to the oils you named (particularly for skin and hair). This said, the best Omega-3 supplements are ones that specify that they are not contaminated with mercury. These can most often be found in health food stores at, unfortunately, a higher cost. Hope this helps, berry

berry,

borage and evening primrose are extremely rich in omega-3. it is important to supplement not just with flaxseed but if possible also with borage and evening primrose because they all contain different essential fatty acids, whether gamma-linoleic acid, alpha-linoleic acid or several others, and a full blend gives your body all the raw ingredients it needs to synthesize prostaglandins for optimum hormonal regulatory abilities. I tried just flaxseed before using the Total EFA blend mentioned above, and the difference was visible. you are right about omega-6: the typical western diet is severely imbalanced such that the average person has almost 20 times as much omega-6 as omega-3... studies on acne sufferers show that they tend to have excess omega-6 in their diet. I am aware of the limited, non-causal and mostly exacerbatory / inflammatory role of dietary factors IN AN ACNEGENIC INDIVIDUAL, but can say that from my personal experience minimizing omega-6 and optimizing omega-3 intake, especially via "the magic 3" oils of flaxseed, borage and evening primrose as found in a highly synergistic blend like The Total EFA, has been immensely beneficial for me.