Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been on retin-a since June '04 and my face has cleared very well. However, a month ago, I stopped (it was making me too oily) and tried proactiv for 2 weeks. Huge mistake. I'm now on retin-a micro again and I'm breaking out like crazy.

I already went throught the initial breakout back in june but I've been on it for about a month (after stopping use for only 2 weeks) and my face is a mess. It burns everytime I put it on and it's super dry. I don't want to quit but I wake up to new zits everyday. Is it possible to have such a bad breakout after not using it for such a short period of time?

I've never been on Retin-A, but it sounds like your face is really irritated. Proactiv probably didn't help much with that! It might be a good idea to stop with the Retin-A Micro and let your face calm down and regain it's moisture balance. I know it's hard to quit a product that you know is *supposed* to be helping, but it's really for the better when you're red, burning, etc. I would just wash with a simple, moisturizing cleanser (I really recommend Dove Sensitive Skin bar) and use a moisturizer. I bet the irritation of your skin would subside a lot, and thus make it look a lot less inflamed and angry!

I hope this helps,

Mae

Honey, I can totallly sympathize!! Proactve was terrible for my face and so was Retin-A, I looke like a monster, I found out that I am allergic to vitiman_A and BP (in proactive) but if Retin A helped before I would suggest switching to the cream form or seeing your derm for a follow-up appointment to see if you are having an allergic reaction or if after Proactive your face is still to sensitive for such a strong pescription. Even after previously being on a med going off it then going on you can have that same inital breakout as befoe. GOod Luck!

Word up. I've found that Retin-A and Proactiv are, bar-none, the two worst acne treatments on the market, especially for people with dry skin. Why did you switch to Proactiv if Retin-A was working for you? Too oily is better than broken out and irritated. Your logic eludes me.

And yeah, imagine is right, you need a good old fashioned moisturizing bar. I personally use Neutrogena Dry Skin Formula, but I'm sure the Dove deal works as well.