Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iceman11

Taking protein supplements and/or creatine?

I've begun working out and I plan to start taking creatine, either alone or in combination with protein supplements.

Question is, does anyone know if these products can affect acne? I know creatine has something to do with water retention, but I'm not sure in what way. By the way I've found almost definitely that drinking tons of water helps acne...but I'm sure others have noticed this too. Unfortunately it isn't without 'side effects'...I need to take a piss every 30 minutes it seems rolleyes.gif

On a side note, I'm taking these to gain muscle/weight - the point of creatine basically. Will they also increase the amount of fat in your face? I don't want chubbier cheeks and acne!

Thanks for replies.

I tried creatine and it made me breakout. so i stuck with regular protine like steaks and other lean meat. but give it a try.

20 year old male. took creatine twice and both times they broke me out like CRAZY as well.

if you plan on taking it, i would advise you to minimize your sugar carb intake.

As long as acne is present in you, i feel that youve gotta make a choice, acne and a lean body, or no acne and a semi lean body.

It takes longer to get results naturally but I feel that you feel better knowing that you arent taking any crap that messes up your body.

In my opinion, Your acne prone. You are going to break out regardless. Take the creatine before work out, then whey protein mix after. Even if it does make your skin bad for a short time, You were destined to a break-out anyways.

I take both creatine and protein supps (primarily whey) and my acne has not in any way, shape, or form gotten worse compared to when I wasn't taking these supps. In fact my acne has improved, although I don't really attribute that to these products.

Now this may be different for everyone, but in my own opinion you should go ahead and take these supps. If you currently have acne without taking these supps then there isn't much the supps can do to hurt you. Even if they do cause you an occasional extra zit, the extra muscle they help you pack on more than makes up for it. For me the progress of working out is a nice balm every time I get frustrated with acne. Sure your face may not clear up from one week to the next, but at least you can still keep packing on pounds consistently, so when your face does get clear you'll be in the best shape of your life.

j

lol I think like dumbmrblah

If you can't get a good skin at least you have a good shape and when your face get's free off acne you will be in your best.

Guest Stu :-)

yeh give it ago, you may get away with not breaking out on any of it. Im fine with Whey or Carb/protein drinks, creatine however was a different story for me. Not only did it give me acne, it fcked up my sleep patterns too confused.gif

id recommend giving whey ago first..

Stu

hmm im interested im taking some creatine but i was worryin bout acne n shit.

i took creatine and whey during the summer when i worked out daily and it didn't affect my acne at all. also, i havent heard any stories about creatine making your face "chubby" so i wouldnt be worried about it.

Some people have had bad reactions to Creatine in the past. Everyone is different. Mostly with lifting weights however through compound movements such as squats, bench press and deadlifts this causes an increase in testosterone in your body, and thus can cause acne.

I've been working out solidly for about a year now, i love it! I'd say if i didn't work out i'd probably be 100% clear, but because i do i get a few pimples now and then. A nice looking body is worth it in my opinion.

I take creatine and whey protein. I've had acne before taking the 2. Neither worsens my acne. I'm finally starting to get clear I hope. I'm still taking creatine and whey and neither seems to be effecting my skin.

There is no good reason to start taking creatine. Yes, it bulks you up real fast, but it's all water weight, it's nothing useful. As soon as you go off it, you pee out all that muscle "mass" you put on. Just DON'T.

As for protein. . .you can never have too much protein (well, that's an overstatement, but you know what i mean). Although, if you do injest more than is needed to repair and hypertrophy your muscles then. . well. . .you'll get fat. But jesus, I mean your body loves protein, and there is no way it could lead to a breakout

Dude i got 3 words for you!

Don't Do it!!!

I'm serious man.. learn from my mistakes.. i had good body with six pack but wanted to get BIGGer.. make my arms bigger.. i normally have clear face... getting one acne or two a week.. then i took creatine and OH MY GOD!!!!!! IT punished me.... it gave me about 40 pimples in one week.. and worst thing is even when you go OFF of it, it still gives you those crazy amount of pimples for 2 weeks later.

That was 2 years ago... then 3 months ago.... having had some time pass... you forget about bad experiences and i really wanted to get bigger again, so i'm like you know what lets try it.... but this time Protein... wHEY protein that many here are suggesting. Guess what happened?? My clear face went down the hellroad again.... acne was sOoooooooo bad and i got off of it and once again it punished me for a whole 2 weeks.. cuz it stays in your body or whatever till a little bit time after and whatever it has.. it KILLS my face.

So each time i tried... i lost a month of my life... 2 weeks during taking it... and 2 weeks after i had stopped.

Now its up to you bro to decide... there is enough people who haven't tried it here.. (Some have and i respect their suggestion) but some haven't and say stuff like: "I seriously DOUBT it'd cause you acne so just go ahead try it". These are people who haven't tried it themselves man... so they look at creatine and say they doubt because why woudl it?? but you cant be sure till you tried and i can tell you me, and a $hitload of other people on this board... have gotten punished by Creatine and Protein supplements and I just dont want you to be one.

Do a search for it if you want as there is a topic like this that you created almost everyone month. I'm just trying to help.

i'm out..

I take creatine before workout, Then workout and usually use the Steamroom and showers at the gym, come home and drink a mix of whey and soy protein ( powder form). My skin is as clear as its ever been, I've just been sticking to the regimen.

why do you take it before workout? and i took some protein and creatine, and didnt do a thing to me..

Creatine supposedly helps after workout as well. From what I understand, you build it up in your muscles, so it doesn't really matter if you take it before or after the workout.

you're supposed to take it one hour- half hour before workout which gives you that EXtra little bit of ENERGY and again half hour after workout which gives you back what you lost in that workout so you get more muscle mass.

but either way it broke me out like a bitch and i didn't take too much... i even took slightly less than recommended but oh man.... it was BAddd

Amen, creatine was defintely detrimental to my acne when i took it freshman year. Also, the slight gains in weight (water-retention) and power aren't worth it. Your definition reduces and muscle cramps are much more likely. Whey on the other hand, may break you out as well due to its highly processed nature. It is also dairy, and many people take it with milk to enhance the flavor. Still, if you lift, protein is a must.

caesin > whey > creatine.

OMG, the IDIOCY!!!

There is so much misinformation on creatine is freaking UNBELIEVABLE.

You DO NOT lose the gains you got from creatine, all it does is make you lift heavier weights, it lets you push that last rep in that you couldnt have otherwise. The water retention is just temporary and doesnt occur with CEE (creatine ethyl ester), only the monohydrate version. That weight you lose when you stop is the water being flushed out, the muscle gains you made from the inscreased strength gains REMAIN. Debunk the stupid fooking myths people, quit being so [edited by mod] and do some research.