Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After organizing my finances for the new year, I was shocked to find that I have spent approximately $28,000 in my quest for perfect skin. I know that that sounds like alot, but I have gone to Every measure to ensure that my skin is perfect and you know what, I have wasted my time and money. I have only began to break out about 4 years ago. I have been to the best dermotologists around the country (the kind that dont take insurance and I am adding the plane fare to see them into my total expense), I have had IPL PhotoFacials ($2500), microdermabrasions, facials at the best spas, peels at my dermotologist, every acne skincare line in Sephora, working with a dietition, meditation coaches, hypnotherapy, gynacologists, endocronologists, colonics, proactive (sucks!), some OTC products, doing nothing, I have even had my face read by a naturologist (or something like it cuz it worked for Kate Winslet) and put pee on my face. I tried the Pericone Prescription regimn, the Master Cleanse and a diet with no dairy or caffien.I have used Ethroymicin, tectracylin, adoxa, retin-a, benzoclyn, differin, ortho-Lo (really bad for me!), cleocin, and am now on Yasmin and Sipro with fineca 15%.

I know that all of this sounds obsessive and I think if you saw me you would think that my acne was nothing to be soo concerned about. This is simply a warning to not stress over your skin because it is not always in your control. I would get so excited about new promises only to have my hopes dashed after the product would irritate my skin or just not work after trying for 2-3 months. I eventually though people were only looking at my skin (I have only ever had 3 cysts at one time and some redmarks) and never wanted to go out or to class (opps forgot to add me failing school for lack of attendance due to dysmorphia so add in another $32,000 for my college). Now luckly I am way more relaxed and realized how ridiculious I was being. I still have zits but am sticking to my current regimn (I have hormonal acne that seems to be with me for life) and am not so worried about it. Just thought to warn everyone about the economic costs of obsessing about acne and to re-evaluate life with zits. Good Luck!!!!

I really wanted to use accutane and went to several derms to try and convince them to prescribe me but unfortunately, I have an extreme sensitivity to vitiman A and none of the 4 derms I went to would prescribe it to me because they didnt think my skin was sever enough to qualify. I also re-read my post and it sounds like I think acne is a hopeless situation, but I merely meant to but things in prespective for others. Thanks for the suggestion, I wish I could take accutane.

Why do you think your doomed to have acne forever? How old are you if I may ask?

I think it's rather rare that people with acne suffer from it forever. Most lose it in the late twenties as far as I know.

Accutane?

It sounds as if you have had an extremely stressful year (or four years) trying to clear up your acne. Believe me, we are all as obsessive and if I had the resources, I would pay as much. I remember lying in bed one night and telling my fiance that I would pay anything, thousands upon thousands for clear skin.

To begin where I started - - have you thought about Accutane?

And I'm sorry that you've been through all of that. I hope this year is better...

Hi again, thanks for all the advis and encouragement! I am 23 and unfortunatly, I cannot take Accutane because of an allergy to vitiman A (what is in Accutane) and really my skin is not nearly as bad as I make it out to be (I live in West Hollywood and work in Real Estate and the entertainment industry so how I look is very important) my acne (okay not acne, just an occasional breakout) is no where bad enough to get even the most unscruplous DR. to prescribe it to me. SO accutatne is out, but I am continuing with Sipro, Yasmin, Finacea and AHA lotion plus monthly microbrasion and glycolic peel to eraticate my problem. THanks

Hey,

I am so sad to hear your suffering. I have a question though.

Who diagnized you with allergy to vitamin A. Maybe you need a second and third opinion.

It is so tough to beleive, then what do you eat, all forms of food (meat, fat, vegetables, dairy) have vitamin a.

How to you deal with that?

Very curious...

Why do you think your doomed to have acne forever? How old are you if I may ask?

I think it's rather rare that people with acne suffer from it forever. Most lose it in the late twenties as far as I know.

Hey,

I am so sad to hear your suffering. I have a question though.

Who diagnized you with allergy to vitamin A. Maybe you need a second and third opinion.

It is so tough to beleive, then what do you eat, all forms of food (meat, fat, vegetables, dairy) have vitamin a.

How to you deal with that?

Very curious...

It is tough to keep track of money when you spend it on acne.

I am sure I am no where close to 28K, but it seems almost daily I am buying something based on something I read here, so if I keep tabs which I thankfully do not, I am sure I must have spend about 1000 bucks in the last year, with the microdermabrasion stuff etc...

Just wanted to let you know that I am 43 years old and yes I still do get breakouts. They are not severe. Once in awhile I will get cysts. I realize that I probably will always break out and never have clear, perfect skin. I have wished for that forever and have spent alot of time and money on trying to totally clear it up. I don't let it stop me from doing things I like to do. I figure if someone doesn't like the way I look they don't have to look at me. I am thankful that I don't have cystic acne anymore. I had it when I was in my early 20's I think that is when I used Accutane. I just want to encourage anyone who has acne to not let it consume your life. Your skin does not determine your happiness. It is frustrating I know. If you stay active and do things you like I think it actually lowers the stress of thinking about it all the time.

My doctor is giving me accutane 10mg as long as I want really, if I get a breakout, boom I get 30 pills. My brother also gets 10mg freely. Is there such a thing as a vitamin allergy? Sounds like a natropath's opinion.

My doctor is giving me accutane 10mg as long as I want really, if I get a breakout, boom I get 30 pills. My brother also gets 10mg freely. Is there such a thing as a vitamin allergy? Sounds like a natropath's opinion.