Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iminlovewith

Prednisone? Anyone have experience with it?

It seems like prednisone is a really scary drug. From googling it, it seems like you get really fat and risk other infections by taking the drug.

My derm put me on 20mg prednisone for a month. What is prednisone supposed to cure anyway? The Dynacin I've been taking has cleared up my regular pimples. I just have A LOT of redmarks and a couple cyst scars left. Does Prednisone help with scars?

Please chime in if you've ever had any experience with prednisone. I'm haveing 2nd thoughts about taking it.

Guest Craigems

Alot of people on Accutane go on Prednisone, I'm currently on 15mg of it a day ... i started off at 25mg/day. Prednisone like most quatersone's can be bad for you if you stay on it for about a year i.e. get fat in the face, weaker muscles etc.

What prednisone does besides make you have a good mood all the time, it calms your skin down from the high bursts of Vitamine A (Accutane). Its like morphine for the skin, You should notice within like 2 weeks your skin should become very clear or u will notice a big change. Its really good stuff but you have to get off it slowly otherwise you can get a bad breakout so yeh, Its not that bad for you PLUS any medication long term isnt good for you anyways so dont go on too much what "google searches" say.

Alot of people on Accutane go on Prednisone, I'm currently on 15mg of it a day ... i started off at 25mg/day. Prednisone like most quatersone's can be bad for you if you stay on it for about a year i.e. get fat in the face, weaker muscles etc.

What prednisone does besides make you have a good mood all the time, it calms your skin down from the high bursts of Vitamine A (Accutane). Its like morphine for the skin, You should notice within like 2 weeks your skin should become very clear or u will notice a big change. Its really good stuff but you have to get off it slowly otherwise you can get a bad breakout so yeh, Its not that bad for you PLUS any medication long term isnt good for you anyways so dont go on too much what "google searches" say.

Guest Craigems

hell no, i've been on prednisone up and down on dosages and from what i see i dont have moon face!

The reason you get moon face is because prednisone gives you an apetite and you eat lots more. Hence your face gets fatter. I exercise every day i'm a bit of a fitness freak and i havent really noticed much change in my face and i eat like a tonn of food a day i think i've put on max 3kg since i've been on prednisone ... easy to burn off nothing that much.

Yeh 20mg/day for 2 weeks isnt long champ lol u got nothing to worry about except you get really chatty (gives you a good mood) and you cant shutup on this stuff lol some might say thats a problem lol. For me nah lol everyone tells me to shutup whether or not i'm on the stuff.

hell no, i've been on prednisone up and down on dosages and from what i see i dont have moon face!

The reason you get moon face is because prednisone gives you an apetite and you eat lots more. Hence your face gets fatter. I exercise every day i'm a bit of a fitness freak and i havent really noticed much change in my face and i eat like a tonn of food a day i think i've put on max 3kg since i've been on prednisone ... easy to burn off nothing that much.

Yeh 20mg/day for 2 weeks isnt long champ lol u got nothing to worry about except you get really chatty (gives you a good mood) and you cant shutup on this stuff lol some might say thats a problem lol. For me nah lol everyone tells me to shutup whether or not i'm on the stuff.

Aloha! I just finished my twenty day course of prednisone and it worked extremely well.

I started Accutane again after a two month lapse. Part of the reason for the lapse was the fact that the Accutane was causing more breakouts than not and the cysts at that point were like boils, the size of freakin’ quarters! This time around, my new dermatologist prescribed prednisone because it keeps the swelling of those monster cysts down.

The only problems I ran into were insomnia and the inability to stop eating - - the holidays didn’t make this any easier. Now that I am off prednisone, my appetite is going back to normal or at least normal for me.

However, it didn’t help with scarring. It only helped stop the cysts that cause scarring from surfacing. It also doesn’t do anything for red marks. You can opt to let those annoying blemishes clear up naturally or go to the Red Mark Forum of Acne.Org for some advice.

There are risks involved with taking a steroid for an extended period of time but it doesn’t seem like that will be the case for you. One month at twenty milligrams should be okay.

Still, I am confused why your doctor prescribed it to you if you only have red marks and scars…

Aloha!  I just finished my twenty day course of prednisone and it worked extremely well. 

I started Accutane again after a two month lapse.  Part of the reason for the lapse was the fact that the Accutane was causing more breakouts than not and the cysts at that point were like boils, the size of freakin’ quarters!  This time around, my new dermatologist prescribed prednisone because it keeps the swelling of those monster cysts down. 

The only problems I ran into were insomnia and the inability to stop eating  - - the holidays didn’t make this any easier.  Now that I am off prednisone, my appetite is going back to normal or at least normal for me.

However, it didn’t help with scarring.  It only helped stop the cysts that cause scarring from surfacing.  It also doesn’t do anything for red marks.  You can opt to let those annoying blemishes clear up naturally or go to the Red Mark Forum of Acne.Org for some advice.

There are risks involved with taking a steroid for an extended period of time but it doesn’t seem like that will be the case for you.  One month at twenty milligrams should be okay. 

Still, I am confused why your doctor prescribed it to you if you only have red marks and scars…

Guest Craigems

OHHH make sure you swollow the stuff coz if it gets caught in your mouth it tastes like absolute shit. LOL i done that one 2 many times. Big glass of water trust me... dont leave it in ur mouth for too long its revoulting stuff.

Craig, you just reminded me: Be sure to take it with food. I am the type of person who can usually stomach anything but the first few days on prednisone, I needed to take it with food.

Guest Craigems

mmm lol ... i would say take it during your food rather than after ... coz if you have experienced the taste its horrid. With food it actually gets the taste down lol.

mmm lol ... i would say take it during your food rather than after ... coz if you have experienced the taste its horrid. With food it actually gets the taste down lol.

Usually if you have active cysts the prednisone will help with that. You'll usually take it for about 5-10 days. (probably 40mg x 5 days or 20mg x 10 days) The side effects that was mentioned is a result from taking it over long periods time and it depends how much you take. There are cushing's-like symptoms like moon face and buffalo hump. Also, make sure you take it with food and do not lie down for at least 30 mins after taking it or it can cause heartburn. If you are sick taking prednisone can depress your immune system therefore make your body more prone to infections but that is also from taking it for awhile. There are more but you're not taking it for that long so no need to worry about it.

Make sure you get enteric coated prednisilone...wee red tablets that are sugary and don't taste rank. Plus they are less irritant on the already 'tane irritated stomach!

Usually if you have active cysts the prednisone will help with that.  You'll usually take it for about 5-10 days. (probably 40mg x 5 days or 20mg x 10 days)  The side effects that was mentioned is a result from taking it over long periods time and it depends how much you take.  There are cushing's-like symptoms like moon face and buffalo hump.  Also, make sure you take it with food and do not lie down for at least 30 mins after taking it or it can cause heartburn.  If you are sick taking prednisone can depress your immune system therefore make your body more prone to infections but that is also from taking it for awhile.  There are more but you're not taking it for that long so no need to worry about it.

Guest Craigems

yes, its only fat build up ... as long as you exercise or something to that degree it should go away in a matter of weeks.

Guest Craigems

My derm assured me it was a build up of fat in the cheeks as a result from eating more from taking prednisone for about a year or more. I also read up on some material and it all pointed out that prolonged use of prednisone / Cortisone can cause, moon face...

Most fat can be lost that is why i was assuming due to my knowledge in weight loss, the moon face isnt a serious side effect nor a long term side effect.

Heres an extract i found unfortunantly not mentioning "moon face" as such but other side effects caused by the drug... and pretty much all disappear once stopped.

"Cortisones are remarkably safe for most people when used for brief periods of several weeks or less. Some people taking cortisones for short periods have no unpleasant side effects; however, disturbances of sleep patterns and increased appetite are common. Others will notice weight gain resulting from fluid retention or changes in mood--usually nervousness, trouble sleeping, and restlessness. Sometimes, there is indigestion. These side effects are usually minor, and disappear after your physician stops the cortisone."

"Unfortunately, when cortisones are used for many months or years, serious side effects are common. Consequently, we use long-term cortisone treatment only when a disease threatens or seriously disturbs a patient's life. "

More information can be found here. http://www.skinsite.com/info_prednisone_co...ne_internal.htm

I hope this helps everyone with their decision on taking prednisone. Remember Accutane is only generally taken no longer than 9 months so Prednisone for 7 weeks i.e. first 2 months is safe.

Is there an alernative to Prednisone? Something just as cheap and effective because I've resently lost alot of weight so even the thought of "gaining weight" with it scares me but I need something to make the Initial breakout less harsh.

Guest Craigems

As far as i'm aware prednisone is the BEST, in treating real bad acne super quick. Most of the weight u put on discipates quickly after you get off. As long as you exercise and have some sort of good diet you'll be fine. If you get hungry eat fruit / vegetables etc its more the fact you need to EAT more to satisfy the hunger so if you EAT more of the GOOD foods then you can balance it out.

As i said above all if you exercise reg. then you dont have a problem specially when u come off... You should just see the weight comming straight off again.