Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chrissy

best in the midwest

I was looking into punch excisions or punch floats, possibly followed by a dermabrasion. My understanding is that the gains one gets from all of these procedures depends heavily on how skilled your surgeon is with her hands. Any recommendations for those of us in the midwest? I'd be particularly interested in knowing who the best Chicago-area practitioners are! I was thinking of going to the University of Chicago or Northwestern University hospitals....

I haven't had any procedures performed by any of these docs, but here's a few that are fairly reputable from what I know:

I've seen Dr. Carolyn Jacob who's in Skokie at the moment but moving her office downtown fairly soon. She's reputable for treating acne scars but her specialty is lasers. She also does subcision and punch floats. A couple of people here have reported success with subcision performed by her. She teaches at Northwestern University also I think.

I've also seen Dr. Lack, and he has a pretty good reputation, but again a laser guy. Does subcision, offers thermage and nlite as well as CO2. But I should add that I know of at least 1 person here who was disappointed with him for acne scar treatments.

I also went in to Dr. Peter Johnson's (yes, that is his real name) office because he was listed as a Skinceuticals dealer and I needed to pick up a product. When I spoke with the receptionist, she said he does dermabrasion and from what I could gather from the walls in the waiting room, he's been listed as a top plastic surgeon in Chicago magazine and several other publications. For whatever it's worth. When I asked the receptionist if I could see some before and after photos of acne scar patients, she said that for privacy reasons, they don't show them. His website says he is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Chicago.

http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/

Best of luck,

kooky

I am in Chicago. I have only seen 2 Dr's in Chicago and the other one was a total quack...so I don't have a lot to compare to. I have also heard that Dr. Kovak is very good. Let me know where you decide to go...maybe we can help each other out. smile.gif Chrissy and Kooky.... Where in Chicago are you? What kind of scarring do you have?

I might go to Dr. Jacob for subcision in April/May. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes. I have mostly rolling scars and it seems like subcision and dermabrasion are the best available treatments for rolling scars. My left cheek also looks sunken in a little after Cooltouch so I can empathize with you there. I grew up in the Northwest 'burbs but I don't live in the Chicago area anymore.

I am in Chicago and have seen Dr. Lack on several occasions.  He is a very nice person and so is his associate Dr. Rachel. I would also like to add that his staff is also very friendly and courteous.  Dr. Lack helped rid me of my cystic acne but I still got scars from it ( not his fault though).  I will agree with "kooky" that he is a laser guy.  I have received 2 lasers and a thermage from him.  The VLS lasers helped with the redness but the Thermage didn't help at all.  I also believe that I have some fat loss in my cheeks because of the Thermage, but that is a whole different story. I have only seen 2 Dr's in Chicago and the other one was a total quack...so I don't have a lot to compare to. I have also heard that Dr. Kovak is very good.  Let me know where you decide to go...maybe we can help each other out. smile.gif Chrissy and Kooky.... Where in Chicago are you? What kind of scarring do you have?