Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Madhubala

Do oils help acne and prevent scars?

I keep hearing that Jojoba oil, "bio oil", olive oil, coconut oil and rosa mosqueta oil are all good for blemished/oily, problem skin. Is this true? I have used tea tree oil, but tea tree oil doesn't have quite the same oily consistency- so it is absorbed quickly by the skin. Furthermore, there is a difference between "blemished skin", and acne-ridden skin. Blemished skin may be the result of acne, but I don't think manufacturers include skin with live acne under the description. I can't help thinking that the oils are good for scars but not for live acne. Plus the use of oil would seem contrary to the logic of conventional acne treatments which seek to dry out the skin (e.g BP, SA) or peel the skin (chemical peels)

Has anyone used any of these oils over a long period of time? And has it helped with

1) active acne

2) scars

Cheers!

I have to say I disagree with Meetpete's last statement. There are several oils that will not aggravate active acne at all, and can even help it, in my experience.

Of the oils that you cited, Madhubala, I believe coconut oil and jojoba oil will not aggravate active acne at all. Hazelnut oil also does not aggravate acne. The best oil I have used is emu oil, and I have used this on active acne lesions and it has actually helped to sooth them. When combined wiht manuka oil, emu oil can combat cysts and active acne, despite its oily consistency.

The reason that these oils do not aggravate acne is that they have extremely small molecules which allow them to penetrate into the skin rather than just sitting on top of the skin. Other oils such as sweet almond and olive oil do not have the penetrative properties, so these may well aggravate acne.

You also seem confused about the types of oils.

There are two main types for use on the skin:

carrier oils - these include emu, coconut, jojoba, hazelnut, olive, sweet almond, etc. Basically, any oil that has a thick, oily consistency. These oils help to moisturise the skin but can clog pores and aggravate acne. The ones that usually do not aggravate acne are jojoba, emu, hazelnut, and coconut.

essential oils also known as 'aromatherapy oils'. These are ethanol plant extracts rather than actual 'oils'. They often have extraordinary healing and antibacterial properties. The ones that have been used most successfully when treating acne are manuka, tea tree, lavender, and clary sage One or two drops are usually added to a carrier oil before application to the skin.

Here's some more info about oils and skincare:

http://www.skinbio.com/moisturizers.html

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the feedback both of you. MeetPete's response is what conventional wisdom stipulates. But traditional medicinal approaches, such as ayurveda, and other naturopathic methods, advicate the use of oils.

Thanks Rossigno for clearing up the confusion on essential oils and carrier oils. Actually I was aware of the difference between the two, and do in fact use tea tree oil regularly, and lavender oil occasionally. I think the problem lies in knowing which of the carrier oils possess (as you say) smaller molecules.

From what is manuka oil derived - I've never heard of this oil - except on this message board.

By the way the link you posted is excellent - very informative. Do you know anything about the company? Their agenda for instance?

What about neem oil (which is siad to have antibacterial properties), vitamin E oil, and grape seed oil? Would any of these aggravate acne?

How long has it taken (in your experience) for the emu and manuka oils to treat cysts? Have you experienced any beneficial effects in preventing scarring?

Many thanks.

Thanks a lot Rossignol. I may give the Manuka and Emu oil a try - i'm always on the look out for more natural products if possible. I live in the Uk, can you recommend any (international) stockists? Also if mixing the two - what proportion of each should I mix? And would you say the manuka oil is more effective than Tea Tree oil?

Finally, do these oils have a potent smell?!!

Thanks again for all your feedback.

If anyone knows anything about neem oil...?

Hi Rossignol,

the manukaoil.com site is definitely cheaper than Living Nature - so thanks for that. I also checked for Emu oil, have you seen this site in the UK?

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/bod...ure-emu-oil.asp

At £18.00 for 100 ml it seems much cheaper than Skin Biology which charges $29 for 2 oz - which is roughly the equivalent of 60ml if my calculations are correct...

I live in the Uk, can you recommend any (international) stockists? Also if mixing the two - what proportion of each should I mix?

Thanks for all the advice Rossignol. The Manuka oil in particular sounds promising! Tea Tree oil smells pretty damn potent - I'd rather use something which smell smore like honey!

Curious though - when would one use manuka honey? As a moisturiser? Face mask? Tasty spread?! How does the honey help acne?

I use manuka honey as a face mask occasionally, as it is far too sticky to leave on for long periods, I find.

I also use it as an antiseptic underneath plasters if I have any open wounds (acne related or otherwise - it's an excellent healing substance).

I also like the manuka oil and honey gel that Living Nature do - it isn't sticky at all but has great soothing effects.

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered manuka oil online, bought the honey too, and am on the hunt for emu oil at my local health store (which normally stocks it) I may well post results here as soon as I start using it.

Hi Rossignol

I was thinking when u said that carrier oils like emu have molecules that are smaller then the size of our pores so they can penetrate deeply into our skin.

But what happens to the essential oil that one can mix and apply before the carrier. Say for example if i apply manuka then emu, the emu oil should carry the manuka oil deeper with it. But how big are manuka oil molecules??? Cos if they are larger than our skin pores wouldn't they still remain on the surface of your skin ???

Thks

Hi,

well, I am the first to admit I am no scientist so I can't really tell you much about this. I'm assuming that essential oils have a small molecular size because they do not clog pores. Certainly, manuka oil won't clog your pores or cause any active acne, so you don't need to worry about that.

You're right, though, the emu does help the manuka to penetrate further into the skin. I don't know how this works to be honest, but it gives good results so I don't really care! biggrin.gif

anyone heard anything about Tamanu oil ? i got mine in the mail it was $20 for 1 oz. it is from the Tahiti Tamanu nut. according to the web sites that sell it its really really good stuff. supposebly with phospholipids,glycolipids,antibacterial properties and anti inflammatory properites. my whole face is red and ifnlamed right now so i put it on tongith i will let u know how good it works.. if you have treid it or heard about it please let me know here is a web site with more info

http://www.islandtrend.com/tamanu/productinfo.html

hey ty for those links.i checked tehm out. i put mine on today and it feels really good on my skin.. i am hoping it will heal all the damage from products at least so my skin will be strong enough to try other scar treatmetns. have you treid it ?

anyone heard anything about Tamanu oil ?  i got mine in the mail it was $20 for 1 oz. it is from the Tahiti Tamanu nut.  according to the web sites that sell it its really really good stuff. supposebly with phospholipids,glycolipids,antibacterial properties and anti inflammatory properites. my whole face is red and ifnlamed right now so i put it on tongith i will let u know how good it works..  if you have treid it or heard about it please let me know here is a web site with more info

http://www.islandtrend.com/tamanu/productinfo.html