Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frances The Mute

People who built up an immunity to Tetracycline

Ive been on tetra for almost 6 months now and it has completely cleared my acne. I have been clear since the first month of taking it and all my red marks have faded, my skin for the most part looks amazing (nothing that i cant deal with)

Now ive been reading about how people build up an immunity to this drug over a certain period of time. This question is for you people: Were you on the same dose for your entire period or did your dose change? And how big was your dose?

before i was taking 2 pills twice a day... then 1 pill twice a day, and now im going down to 1 pill once a day...

I also asked my doctor about the immunity thing, and he said that it only happens in certain people. He said that he has people who have been on tetracycline for 2 years+ and its still working. He also said that it depends what kind of acne you have and how big your dose is. He even told me that some people have taken tetracycline and their acne has never returned because your pores shrink and its harder for them to get infected.

So whats the deal ?

Tetra helped out with my acne that was related to having an difficulty to shead the top layer of my skin. But now that I no longer have the problem my breakouts of deep cystic acne could have been not taking a PROBIOTIC like a vit B complex while on Tetra killing the good bacteria that prevented me from having the deep cystic acne before... now with the good bateria is gone the deep cystic acne has nothing fighting it and ACCUTANE is the next stop on my train goodluck to you NEVER stop using your topical after tetra I learned that lesson.

hey dude when u took 2 pills twice a day how many mg's are in each pill i take 2 pills once and day of some other pill its on this forum cant remember what its called but i wasj ust wondering if maybe i could ask about that in the near future because 2 has really cleared me up compared to before but not acne-free

Hey there, i built up an immunity to tetracyclines (oxytetracycline to be exact) at the start it worked pretty well - i was taking 2 tablets once a day - my acne never completly cleared up and it got worse after few months again after it got better so my GP put the dosage upto 2 tablets twice daily, this worked very well and i was almost clear. but then it got worse again so i was referred to a derm. cos i was on it around a year with no lasting clear skin

I was prescribed Lymecycline (a form of tetracycline) antibiotics for my acne by my GP over two years ago. I took one pill a day and after about 6 months it proved to be very effective, clearing up my mild/moderate acne completely. I was really pleased with the results (didn't suffer from any side effects), and it left my skin in the best condition it had been in for several years. Unfortunately, it was too good to last, and after about 2 months of being completely clear, my acne returned as I had developed an immunity to the tetracycline antibiotics. When I went to see my GP, he said that this was a common occurrence and prescribed me some other type of antibiotic (can't remember the name), but it proved to be totally ineffective.

Without wanting to sound too negative, I think that if you continue to take tetracycline for your acne (or any type of antibiotic treatment), over a long period of time your body will eventually develop an immunity to it and your acne will return. I don't agree with your doctor when he says that only certain people develop an immunity to antibiotic treatment. Most antibiotics prescribed for acne are not very strong, and if exposed to it over a long length of time, bacteria will eventually develop an immune resistant strain to it.

Also, when your doctor says that he knows of some people being on antibiotic treatment for 2+ years and it is still working, he fails to mention the long term negative impact on the body of prolonged antibiotic treatment. Whilst antibiotics like tetracycline kill the bad bacteria e.g. Propionibacterium acnes, they do not differentiate between good and bad bacteria in your body, and therefore attack good bacteria that your body needs. For this reason, it is advisable to take a form of probiotic bacteria supplement during long term antibiotic treatment to replenish the good bacteria that help to reduce the risk of intestinal infections, maintain a healthy digestive system and improve the immune system.

Finally, when your doctor says that some people have taken tetracycline and their acne has never returned because your pores shrink and its harder for them to get infected - absolute rubbish!!! Tetracycline works by killing the bacteria that causes acne to develop. It does not have any effect on controlling pore size.