Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone else ever noticed that thier ACNE looks different under in different mirrors. Mine looks really good at the mirrors at home, or in the gym, but at school it looks way worse. Could it just be the lighting? I've heard that fluorescent lights are not very flattering. I wasnt sure sure which forums to post this in, but I hope someone here can answer this puzzling question!

I don't know. It's probably the lighting. Mine looks its worst in mirrors at the mall (bathrooms and fitting rooms). neutral.gif

I totally know what you mean. It happens to me too. And yes flurescent lights are not exactly favorable, especially for red spots. Keep on pushing. Pax

My local bus company came up with a cracker.........

''Let's put flourescent lighting at the front of the bus, over the 'elderly person' seats, so that surly teens don't park themselves there, as it makes their acne look worse.''

''What genuis'', they must have thought, when they implemented that one......such simplified generlisation, they will have them in pubs soon to weed out the underage drinkers........ eusa_think.gif

yeah i know what you mean. In our main bathroom mirror, it doesnt look too bad most the time. In our small toilet room, usually it looks really good. In the hall mirror it looks, a bit inbetween.

But usually when im in town and look in a mirror, it looks nasty. I hate going in the hair cutters, cos it always looks so nasty and i have to sit there for like 15 mins. The mirror thing is the same for scarring too i find.

It has to be the lighting. My fiance is currently insisting on putting florescent lighting in as many rooms as possible at home. The only place I can stand to look at myself anymore is the living room.

The bathroom at work is nearly as bad but in natural (sunlight) my skin looks so much better.

Seems to me that a lot of acne-afflicted people are loathe to go out in the sunlight for fear of exposing their skin to that bright light, when in reality it just makes it look a lot better... not to mention sunlight will actually help kill zits. Anyways yes I do notice that a lot of lights especially fluorescent ones will make your acne look like shit... then again no one looks their best under fluorescent lights and they are indeed known to be rather harsh and unforgiving. Go look up some sites on architecture and interior design and you will see this subject discussed by people who design lighting fixtures for buildings. That's probably the reason why most people prefer to use incandescents in their home; fluorescents give it a sterile, institutional look. But they're not designed to bring out the beauty in people... they're cheap and don't use hardly any power compared to more flattering incandescents so of course the huge commercial or institutional establishments like malls, schools, big stores, etc. will be more interested in saving money on overhead costs than making their customers (read: cash cows) look good.

Seriously, I noticed the same thing. In my front bathroom, I could really see all my small imperfections that I cannot see in my back bathroom.

Oh yes, lighting makes a hugee difference in the appearence of your skin, or how makeup looks, etc. My skin always looks great in my bathroom which has very dim lighting compared to the rest of my house.

There are certain colors of fluorescent lights that are better than others. Some classrooms at the university I go to have these nices ones with a soft, almost incandescent look. I love those. I wish those were those only ones anyone used. Soft color of light for the eyes too.

Yeah, I find that my skin looks the worse in places like restrooms,restraunts,school anywhere. I find that my skin looks much better in rooms that have an orange lighting... it makes my skin look good. I'm confused though maybe it's me but sometimes my skin looks good under floresant (sp?) light & sometimes it doesn't... depends on the store lol. When I look in the mirror & see that my skin is looking good... I leave the store feeling good... I go to another one & it looks terrible... Lol it's confusing....

Anyone use one "trusted" mirror where they think it gives the most accurate version of their skin? Mine is the lighting in my bedroom and I also look at my skin under the same lighting except with the light hitting from overhead to pick up every dent, mark, and pore. Strangely my skin sometimes looks better under brighter lights because a lot of my marks still have pink in them which could look like indents and brighter ligting sreveals that it's actually discoloration versus a permanent scar. Also, unnatural shadows etc can make skin look uneven when it's not, it's like when you get shadows under your eyes

Certain lights actually make skin look worse than it really is. Flourescent for one thing even makes flawless skin mottled, uneven, etc...I never look at myself in them because even when I had flawless skin I felt I had a ton of flaws in that light. If you looked at your skin magnified 1000 times under a microcope you wouldn't think Oh THAT'S what it really looks like, would you?

Natural light and bulbs that resemble daylight are most accurate I think.

Pick the light that's in between super forgiving and super harsh

Not only your acne changes but your whole face too. Angle, amount of light and the type of light makes you look different.

The lighting at Walmart makes my skin look absolutly terrible. It's not even just the blemishes, because those are covered up in public. It just makes my pores looks huge and my tone look really really uneven and it looks all rough and bumpy and disgusting. Blah I hate walmart light.

I think sunlight makes my skin look like shit though.. like when I look in a mirror outside I can see my blemishes and redmarks right through the concealer.. and even in the brightest indoor lighting that's never the case. It also makes my bronzer and loose powder look all uneven and shitty. Maybe I'll go apply my makeup outside one time and see if I can make it look good. But its so weird that my makeup can look perfect under really really bright indoor lighting and look completely shitty under sunlight.

I never do my make up in direct yellow bathroom light. I try to do it as close to a window as possible to get real light in, because if you can make it look good in sunlight, it will look good in ANY light. tried and true. But in the worst case, like if I'm in a windowless bathroom or it's night time, I turn on the lights in the two rooms surrounding it and use those. That harsh yellow light a lot of bulbs produce can be such a liar..

Luckely I never even go out in the sun because I'm completely nocturnal.. so it doesn't really pose much of a problem. Although I am at Walmart alot.. but last night I went there and I mustve done my makeup better.. because my skin looked great. Don't ya just love good makeup days?

I never do my make up in direct yellow bathroom light.  I try to do it as close to a window as possible to get real light in, because if you can make it look good in sunlight, it will look good in ANY light.  tried and true.  But in the worst case, like if I'm in a windowless bathroom or it's night time, I turn on the lights in the two rooms surrounding it and use those.  That harsh yellow light a lot of bulbs produce can be such a liar..