Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys, I posted this on the scar forum but all my buddies are here. I'm coming to realize that my daughter is going to end up with quite a few indented scars now here at the end of her treatment. (mom reaches for her chinese herbals). I was just looking for input on how people looked at the end of treatment. What did you do about the scarring. It's like accutane gave her cystic acne and then scarred her to boot. Do the indents fade away some? Her doc did tell us that alot of his patients have to have microdermabrasion after treatment. eusa_doh.gif

I’ve had microdermabrasion in the past - - prior to my major breakout because I thought I had wrinkles at age twenty-one (duh) and slight acne scarring. It didn’t do anything besides make my skin feel very soft afterwards. The imaginary wrinkles and slight acne scars remained. Dermabrasion and laser resurfacing usually produce better results but are definitely more invasive.

As you know, I haven’t completed my Accutane treatment yet but here is some good news. I asked my new dermatologist what he thought was going to scar and he said the only problem area is my right cheek. If you looked at my face right now, you would probably think that the problem areas would be more extensive than that. He went on to tell me that people’s skin continues to improve after their treatment with Accutane and some of the scars go away. Your daughter is young and has time on her side. Her ability to heal is probably much better than someone my age or older.

In an effort to heal any potential scars, I am taking (as per the suggestion of GO), Thiosinaminum pellets three times a day. Here is a link for the place where I bought them: http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S56.

Also, I have a bottle of Puredeming Intense Gel in my refrigerator, waiting for me to be done with Accutane and try healing some of the scar tissue. People who have posted on the Scar forum seem to have the best luck with this product.

I hope this helps a little bit and I am also curious to hear from previous ‘taners regarding their scars and the severity of them so please, everyone, post away.

Oh and Happy New Year, Boston to you and your daughter!!!

I have many scars from before accutane. The best thing your daughter did was go on 'tane, otherwise, she may get even more scars from countless years of acne.

Accutane helps scars a little, so there is hope in that.

I have many scars from before accutane. The best thing your daughter did was go on 'tane, otherwise, she may get even more scars from countless years of acne.

Accutane helps scars a little, so there is hope in that.

I think your daughter needs a second course of accutane.

Emanuel recently posted something about low doses for a long time that not only controls acne but helps existing scarring.

Why dont you take a printout of that article, go to your derm and ask him about it...

I think your daughter needs a second course of accutane.

Emanuel recently posted something about low doses for a long time that not only controls acne but helps existing scarring.

Why dont you take a printout of that article, go to your derm and ask him about it...

[/quo

If she needed a second course what do you suggest? Like 20 mgs for a month for a while? Do you need to wait like 8 weeks between courses? Funny , when we started this the derm said it would be easy to fix her case. I suppose it's possible that it's caused by something untouched by accutane

What is the current dosage?

I guess what your derm would suggest is the opposite of the current situation. If she is on a low dosage make it high or vice-versa.

That is what makes sense to me, but I wonder what your derm has in mind.

Also if the new breakouts are much less severe than the pre-accutane breakouts then maybe there isn't much to worry, accutane still did its job???

What is the current dosage?

I guess what your derm would suggest is the opposite of the current situation. If she is on a low dosage make it high or vice-versa.

That is what makes sense to me, but I wonder what your derm has in mind.

Also if the new breakouts are much less severe than the pre-accutane breakouts then maybe there isn't much to worry, accutane still did its job???

We all are seeking perfection. And most of us are seeking it immediately.

For me, personally, my initial breakout caused more acne scarring than any breakout I've had in my life. That damage was done within a few weeks. That is why this time around, I opted for a super-low dose. I am on 20 mg of Accutane for a longer period of time. If the chances of relapse are then greater, I don't care. Anything is better than having to worry about permanent scarring.

And I thought that Accutane slowed down the body's healing process therefore making it more difficult for scars to heal, right?

Boston, did you learn anything useful from the Scar Forum?

Hi Boston,

The derm also thought throughout my sons course that he would eventually need dermabrasion. The good news is no he does not need it. The doctor was amazed. I believe that the reason he did not need it was cause I insisted on him going on the accutane three months after he started breaking out. Believe me, he did not have mild acne. It was major and came with a vengence. In three months, it was severe enough for me to insist he start the accutane. The derm did not want to puet him on it as he thought other creams and pills would clear him but I knew it would just prolong the problem and the scaring would be difficult to treat at the end. How long did your daughter wait until she started the accutane? Did she have cystic. My son had severe inflammatory acne (stress induced) and it seemed nothing else worked. Wait and see and dont worry about the red marks, red skin, and scars. They really do seem to disappear on their own.

Boston, does your daughter ever post on here? It might be useful if she doesnt, as the emotional support forum would probably be quite useful for her

Hi Boston,

The derm also thought throughout my sons course that he would eventually need dermabrasion.  The good news is no he does not need it.  The doctor was amazed.  I believe that the reason he did not need it was cause I insisted on him going on the accutane three months after he started breaking out.  Believe me, he did not have mild acne.  It was major and came with a vengence.  In three months, it was severe enough for me to insist he start the accutane.  The derm did not want to puet him on it as he thought other creams and pills would clear him but I knew it would just prolong the problem and the scaring would be difficult to treat at the end.  How long did your daughter wait until she started the accutane?  Did she have cystic.  My son had severe inflammatory acne (stress induced) and it seemed nothing else worked.  Wait and see and dont worry about the red marks, red skin, and scars.  They really do seem to disappear on their own.