Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPALMBABZ

DO I LET MY 16 YR OLD TAKE ACCUTANE

DO I LET MY 16 YR OLD (D) TAKE ACCUTANE  

6 members have voted

1. 1. DO I LET MY 16 YR OLD (D) TAKE ACCUTANE

• Do I let my 16 1/2 yr old daughter take accutane? She has moderate cystic acne (to her it is severe and I do understand her point of view). We have family history of depression, bi-polar disorder, lupus, diabetes, and high blood pressure (lupus is only on her maternal side). She has been treated once for mild depression. She has great grades, popular in school, many friends, many extra activites, a varisity cheerleader, a boyfriend and many other boys wishing to date her, very pretty and all the positives a teen could have. She is taking the "pill" I found out because she has been sexually active and the pill has "added" to her acne when it should help it (4 months on the pill now). I'm not comfortable with the side effects I've read about accutane and don't feel right allowing her to take it. We have tried all those things that promise to clear the skin (Proactive was one and she still uses it) We've tried creams and antibiotics of a few different kinds. She Eats very healthy and gets lots of exercise and rest. Any ideas of what I should do about desiding to allow her to take this accutane or not. Please help she is desperate and I just don't think it's a good idea.
    • post and e-mail me a responce
    • [email protected] Thanks from a concerned Mom who wants to help
    • Sue

Do I let my 16 1/2 yr old daughter take accutane? She has moderate cystic acne (to her it is severe and I do understand her point of view). We have family history of depression, bi-polar disorder, lupus, diabetes, and high blood pressure (lupus is only on her maternal side). She has been treated once for mild depression. She has great grades, popular in school, many friends, many extra activites, a varisity cheerleader, a boyfriend and many other boys wishing to date her, very pretty and all the positives a teen could have. She is taking the "pill" I found out because she has been sexually active and the pill has "added" to her acne when it should help it (4 months on the pill now). I'm not comfortable with the side effects I've read about accutane and don't feel right allowing her to take it. We have tried all those things that promise to clear the skin (Proactive was one and she still uses it) We've tried creams and antibiotics of a few different kinds. She Eats very healthy and gets lots of exercise and rest. Any ideas of what I should do about desiding to allow her to take this accutane or not. Please help she is desperate and I just don't think it's a good idea.

post and e-mail me a responce

[email protected]

Thanks from a concerned Mom who wants to help

Sue

I'd say yes.

Your daughter has all these wonderful things in her life, but it's sad taht acne is preventing it from shining all the way through. I'd definately take her off the pill and go see a dermatologist.

First of all: Yes. I do believe that allowing your daughter to go on Accutane would be a good idea.

I am twenty-seven and thankfully removed from all the insecurities of her age. My major concern about taking Accutane was the fact that depression runs in my family as well. My aunt committed suicide. My mother, grandmother and I have all been hospitalized at different points for depression. Personally, I’ve been committed three times, the last of which was 2002 for a suicide attempt. Currently, I am on maintenance medication and, in combination with therapy, it is working wonders. I never want to loose what I have right now and would fight tooth and nail to keep my life the way it is.

Taking the first dose of Accutane was frightening. Was I going to loose my grip on reality again? Would I loose my job, my house, my fiancé? Was I actually putting clear skin before my mental health? In short, at the time, yes, I was.

I’ve been on Accutane since September. My only low point took place during the initial breakout. Nearly every user has this breakout and it makes your acne worse than ever. I spent an entire lunch hour crying in my car to my mom over my cell phone. I thought I was ugly and being punished for some unknown crime. After an hour or so of sobbing, I got sick of myself and thought I am not going to let this take me down. There was enough passion in my disgust with the situation in order to motivate me. And that was it. That was the end of my “depression� on Accutane, if you even want to call it that.

I can understand your concern over the other side effects as well. The majority of them strike me as over-exaggerated. The thing with prescription drugs is, the manufacturers have to tell you of all possible side effects - - even if it only occurs in 0.000009% of the users. Judging from my personal experience and those experiences that I’ve read on Acne.Org, the majority of Accutane users suffer from lesser side effects: extremely dry lips, an initial breakout, dry eyes, a slight headache for the first few days, joint pain, insomnia/exhaustion. There is a rarely a post regarding brain swelling, liver damage or suicide/depression.

Some birth control pills can aggravate your acne. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a few months and it neither made my acne better nor worse. I am currently on month two of Yasim and it rocks. Not only is the pill a more intimate form of birth control but it also has made my cramps less painful and my mood swings have stopped swinging. If her current pill is making it worse, I suggest trying this low-hormone, Spiro-containing, skin-clearing pill instead.

There are several concerned moms who post on Acne.Org whose children are on Accutane. I think it is wonderful to see such parental support. I would suggest doing what mom’s do best. Research the hell out of this drug. Weigh the pros and cons. Be aware of all the potential side effects and be her strongest advocate. There is a negative shadow cast over Accutane which makes it difficult for a lot of us to explain our decision to take it to our friends and families. The fact that you are willing to give it a try says a lot. eusa_clap.gif

I wish you and your daughter a Happy New Year filled with clear skin and cheer!

I would say no. With the information available about accutane I just wouldn't advise it.

There are alternative ways to dealing with acne. See my post BP FREE ACID FREE SKIN CARE - ZIT FREE. It tells everything I do that works for me. Patience and Persistence pays off. Do everything to avoid drastic means.

I wish you and your daughter well. I hope you make a choice that works best for her.

Shaz aka Slim

Accutane sounds scary, but it really isn't. The chances of all the "big" side effects are very very slim, comparable to the risk of blood clot/stroke while taking the birth control pill. Most people only experience one common side effect, and that is dryness - dry lips, face, hands, eyes, nose - which is essentially the point of Accutane, to dry up your oil glands. The side effect of depression is very uncommon, but I completely understand why it sounds scary when you have a family history of it. My best response to that, is to reassure that it really is a rare side effect, in fact most people feel great because their face is clearing (which was the original factor causing depression!). Some doctors advise that you "monitor" her while on Accutane, essentially keep a close eye and watch for anything that indicates depression. She should also let at least one close friend know she is on Accutane.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but when I was 16 I started to break out more and I became self-conscious about it. I asked my mom if I could go to a dermatologist and she said No, because I guess she thought it wasn't necessary. When I was 20 I finally took it upon myself to see my family doctor and get a referral to a derm, because my acne was so much worse and my self-esteem was awful. I really regret not doing it sooner, because now I have acne scarring and red marks all over my face that can take years to fade, or won't fade at all. I don't think my mom really understood how badly I felt until just about a year ago, when I broke down in tears and sobbed "I hate my skin" for a half hour at the dinner table, haha!

If your daughter has moderate cystic acne, I would definitely urge you to consider Accutane for her before it leads to scarring. As for the b.c. pill, if she is sexually active and on Accutane she will need to be on the pill anyways, so don't bother taking her off of it. However, you could definitely change brands - some brands can aggravate acne, some claim to help it. You can ask us Accutane users here absolutely anything, we're always happy to answer any questions you have about side effects or whatever!

There is a member here named Boston50, she is a mother of a young daughter on Accutane and I'm sure she'd be of immense comfort/help to you!

I hope this helps a bit! You're a fantastic parent for researching this for her, I really wish my mom had done this for me at your daughter's age! smile.gif

Mae

EDIT: Oh gosh, while I was writing this, a bunch of us responded, hehe! I hope you find the help you need smile.gif

Also, just in case you don't read my post. Examine her hair products. I found that some ingredients in hair products like sillicone do contribute to acne.

If she's using hair sprays etc they will get on the face and make matter's worse.

Try changing her hair care products. Use aloe gel instead of hair spray etc.

Encourage her to wear her hair away from her face.

If she wears makeup use disposable sponges and throw them out after each use and wash her brushes often.

Also use paper towels or clean towels every time she does her face.

These suggestions may seem simple but they do make a difference.

Has she already tried some antibiotics/topicals combination?

If not ,then it is not right to directly jump to accutane without going thro them first. Also it will be tough to find a derm who will directly go to accutane without going thro the antbiotic/topical route.

For most of ppl antibiotics is really successful.

So just go to a derm, he will start off with antibiotics.

I was very close to going on accutane. My dermatologist kept pushing it on me. I decided it wasn't worth the risk and cost.

I've read a lot of recommendations for people with depression and other mental health issues that say they should really think about it. You say she was treated for mild depression once. If things are better now and there's no bi-polar issues with her then it might not be so much of a risk. A mental health doctor or physician would probably give an ok. Many derms actually require an official ok from one.

Another big issue is the cost. It is VERY expensive. The liver has to be monitored closely since it has to deal with all the vitamin A. Doctor visits and labs tests on blood every month or month and a half, plus the high cost of accutane, really add up in no time at all.

Something to consider is what topical medicines she has already tried. If they were prescription ones then maybe accutane would be the next thing to try. If she's not already seeing a dermatologist, regular visits would probably be good. Retin-A or Tazorac might help.

I remember proactiv is based alot around benzoyl peroxide. Maybe there's something more suitable for her. I've always handled salycilic acid much better. But it only does so much. And from my experience proactiv isn't at all what it's cracked up to be. "The Regimen" on this site would probably work as well, if not better for minor to mild acne.

I didn't have very good results from over-the-counter products on my cystic acne either. They reduce the severity and frequency of breakouts for me some, but that still isn't enough. I'm taking an antibiotic in pill form now. It really prevents more breakouts for me when I take it like I'm supposed to. But antibiotics and birth control can conflict sometimes (from what I recall reading, I'm a guy so I don't have to concern myself with that).

So my recommendation is to hold off on the accutane unless you've exhausted other possibilities. I agree with slim's post, there are alternative ways. Get her into a dermatologist office on a regular basis if she already isn't. I'll admit that I don't think my doc always know what's best, but she has helped a whole lot. I realize there are tons of recommendations for regimens to try on this board (information overload for sure) so I hate to add another, but I'll add a little advice anyway.

Gentle cleanser to wash the face. Eucerin is THE BEST I've found. Very gentle. Rarely drys me unless I use it more than twice a day and keeps the oil down. I can only find it on drugstore.com though. Cetaphil and Neutrogena are gentle brands too that most people don't have problems with. Find a moisturizer that doesn't make her skin oily and actually does it's job. 100% aloe vera is getting quite a bit of praise now. I'm going to try it myself. She already has a good diet, rest, and exercise going for her so that's great. I suppose the rest is up to her experience of what works and what her dermatologist advises.

Apologies for the long post. I am as biased about my opinion as everyone else here. Just don't let accutane be the only answer. There are no quick fixes and I don't think 5 or so months of accutane is any better than 5 or even more months of something else. Best wishes.

Josh

Guest Craigems

Accutane is safe monitored. Its only 6month of treatment if that so its not that bad, just yeah report stuff you think is abnormal.

don't forget the biggest side effect for a person her age.....it can stunt growth and the chances of relapse are higher for young people

so i would say no unless she is above 5'6

Sometimes accutane is blamed for stunts in growth but some people are just short like me. Im only 5'6 and im 17 years old. My dad is that height...it sucks! OH WELL! I recommend that anyone take accutane that feel bad about their skin unless they have blood tests that say otherwise. And about that depression thing...I think that it is totally overrated. The ability to walk out infront of everyone and not feel as ugly doesnt make you depressed...it empowers you. People only get depressed if they still think that they are unattractive. Accutane doesn't cure ugliness, it just destroys acne that makes people think that they are ugly....yeah... eusa_snooty.gif

Sometimes accutane is blamed for stunts in growth but some people are just short like me.  Im only 5'6 and im 17 years old.  My dad is that height...it sucks!  OH WELL!  I recommend that anyone take accutane that feel bad about their skin unless they have blood tests that say otherwise.  And about that depression thing...I think that it is totally overrated.  The ability to walk out infront of everyone and not feel as ugly doesnt make you depressed...it empowers you.  People only get depressed if they still think that they are unattractive.  Accutane doesn't cure ugliness, it just destroys acne that makes people think that they are ugly....yeah... eusa_snooty.gif

Try dan's reg for a few months first. Seems like a lot of people had moderate to severe acne and are clearing up fine. At least if she does the accutane, shes still young enough that she lives at home so you can monitor her behavior, and if you notice her being depressed take her off. Good luck!

I voted for Sue.

lol

Uhh, let her go on Accutane because acne sucks and I would punch my mom in the face if I had cystic acne and I couldn't go on accutane.

the concern about accutane and depression is unrelated to the actual feelings that acne causes. accutane can make depression worse and there are some concerns (controversial and uncertain) that it might even increase suicide risk in normally nonsuicidal people. depressive feelings have either psychological or physiological causes, or both. I know in my own case, acne is only a very tiny part of it. Taking care of the acne is empowering, but my overall mood isn't governed by the condition of my skin. but I vote against accutane for many reasons other than the slim chance of suicide risk.

I don't know what ltplcap is going on about, but depression usually isn't affected by the state of the world. even if we lived in a utopia people would still be depressed. drinking has never made me suicidal. if someone were suicidal alcohol might only make it easier for them to go through with it. as with everything else, it depends on the person.

I THIK U SHOULD IF YOU OR HER ARE SCARED OF THE SIDE EFFECTS THAN JUST START ON A LOW DOSE AND WATCH THE PROGRESS CLOSELY.

WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE YOU HAVE TO TAKE BIG RISKS TO GET BIG REWARDS

Also, just in case you don't read my post.  Examine her hair products.  I found that some ingredients in hair products like sillicone do contribute to acne.

If she's using hair sprays etc they will get on the face and make matter's worse.

Try changing her hair care products. Use aloe gel instead of hair spray etc.

Encourage her to wear her hair away from her face.

If she wears makeup use disposable sponges and throw them out after each use and wash her brushes often.

Also use paper towels or clean towels every time she does her face.

These suggestions may seem simple but they do make a difference.

don't forget the biggest side effect for a person her age.....it can stunt growth and the chances of relapse are higher for young people

so i would say no unless she is above 5'6

I do believe you should allow your daughter to take accutane. I am the mother of a 15 yr old son who took accutane last year. I cannot tell you what a change I saw in my son once his skin started to clear. Was it a difficult decision, yes. Did I have as many questions as you do with depression, yes. My son was in a major accident three months prior to his treatment with accutane. He had major injuries (facial) and as a result of the stress from his accident, he got severe acne. We worried about depression cause he was depressed from his accident already. My husband and I watched him carefully. Thankfully, I noticed his mood changing as his skin was progressing. Being a teenager is tough enough without going through acne. He is now clear, looks wonderful and thanks me every day for getting him to a derm and insisting on the accutane before he had scarring (which is none). Talk to your derm and see what they think. Good luck!

I do believe you should allow your daughter to take accutane.  I am the mother of a 15 yr old son who took accutane last year.  I cannot tell you what a change I saw in my son once his skin started to clear.  Was it a difficult decision, yes.  Did I have as many questions as you do with depression, yes.  My son was in a major accident three months prior to his treatment with accutane.  He had major injuries (facial) and as a result of the stress from his accident, he got severe acne.  We worried about depression cause he was depressed from his accident already.  My husband and I watched him carefully.  Thankfully, I noticed his mood changing as his skin was progressing.  Being a teenager is tough enough without going through acne.  He is now clear, looks wonderful and thanks me every day for getting him to a derm and insisting on the accutane before he had scarring (which is none).  Talk to your derm and see what they think.  Good luck!