Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello I am currently on differin and oxytetracycline for my acne. I've seen some improvement with this but i've still got about 15 pustules and papules at any one time as well as plenty of red marks and oily skin. I'm going to try and get on accutane next month as i've tried virtually all topicals and they just arent effective for me. What I wanted to know is, how bad will the initial outbreak be for me? I've never had any cysts in my life and maybe just one or two nodules years ago. Am i likely to get these spring up? and do mild acne sufferers see quicker results than severe cases or is it just the same?

We can't really tell you how bad your initial breakout will be or if you'll even have one. It's different for everyone.

Good luck.

My acne is mild to moderate. It goes through phases, lets put it that way. Im on 'tane. im entering my 3rd month. I did have an initial breakout. At some points it got pretty bad - as in - worse than it ever was pre-'tane but it was tolerable. Im a girl so im fortunate enough to be able to cover it w/make up. Things are looking better right now other than the remnents of the breakout - aka RED SPOTS. But, i can deal w/that. Just because your acne is mild, like mine was , actually it sounds similar to mine - doesn't mean that you'll fly through accutane w/out breakouts. I believe that just because my acne wasn't as bad as some, it had the potential because I know there was SO much crap stuck under the surface of my skin - whichis why my acne is so consistant. And tane had to push that out - so to answer your question - your skin pre'tane - good or bad, doesn't determine how it will behave while on 'tane. Good luck!

My daughter had acne that went from mild to moderate for most of her teen years. She's in her 6th month now and from what I can tell, she has a lot of scarring. I'm not very happy about this since she had no scars pre-accutane. So now we'll probably be looking a remedial scar treatment. She had a really bad initial outbreak that made her acne go cystic. Accutane behaves differently from case to case. I'm beginning to think that accutane should only be reserved for severe cystic acne because of the potential for scarring.