Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blemishedgirl

Can someone please explain...

What's really happening here? Where are these pimples comming from? Are these pimples from deep within that would have eventually surfaced without the drug?

I'd like to know exactly what causes the initial flare up. It's kind of a mystery to me how the drug works anyway. All I gather is that it basically dries up your oil producing glands.

Can someone point me to a diagram or drawing? I'd like to see where these glands are located. What layer of the skin?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they'd eventually surface. Mine didn't after having my acne under control on antibiotics.

No one knows for sure how accutane works. Not even Roche. It does stop your glands from producing oil, but it's not known how it does that.

There are pictures of a normal and infected folicle on this page: http://www.acne.org/whatisacne.html

I thought that Accutane worked by decreasing the size of your sebum glands and the reason why so many pimples surface during the first couple of weeks (the initial breakout) is because as the gland shrinks, the oil is being pushed out of the gland and to the surface thus causing a lot of breakouts. As the size of the gland decreases, it holds less oil and in a few months, the breakouts are less frequent.

I thought that Accutane worked by decreasing the size of your sebum glands and the reason why so many pimples surface during the first couple of weeks (the initial breakout) is because as the gland shrinks, the oil is being pushed out of the gland and to the surface thus causing a lot of breakouts.  As the size of the gland decreases, it holds less oil and in a few months, the breakouts are less frequent.

It appears that the sebum is the oil and the sebacious is the gland. Sorry. I'm not really good with all these medical terms.

Anything can trigger a breakout: stress, genes, hormone imbalance, poor diet, the wrong skincare products, and sometimes (in most of our cases) absolutely nothing.

Like everything else in my life that sucks or has sucked, I view it as character building. Through this experience, I am learning that I am more than just a pretty face (I modeled as a teenager and was brought up to believe that image is everything). I am learning to focus on other things like getting my manuscript published and finding out how fortunate I am to be with a man who loves more than my looks. I am starting to learn that the media-induced image of beauty is bullshit and that beauty has a lot more to do with grace, kindness and the warmth of someone's eyes. Through this experience, the world is showing me its inner points and I find myself never wanting to loose that insight again: acne or not.

It certainly takes over your life and then (if you're like me), you feel stupid for letting such a minor thing take over your life. The trick is to keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other. The other trick is to turn your thoughts away from your skin and onto something more positive and wonderful about yourself.

I can't tell you all how lucky we are to have friends and families who love and support us no matter what our skin looks like. That means more than anything else to me.

It appears that the sebum is the oil and the sebacious is the gland.  Sorry.  I'm not really good with all these medical terms.

Anything can trigger a breakout: stress, genes, hormone imbalance, poor diet, the wrong skincare products, and sometimes (in most of our cases) absolutely nothing.

Like everything else in my life that sucks or has sucked, I view it as character building.  Through this experience, I am learning that I am more than just a pretty face (I modeled as a teenager and was brought up to believe that image is everything).  I am learning to focus on other things like getting my manuscript published and finding out how fortunate I am to be with a man who loves more than my looks.  I am starting to learn that the media-induced image of beauty is bullshit and that beauty has a lot more to do with grace, kindness and the warmth of someone's eyes.  Through this experience, the world is showing me its inner points and I find myself never wanting to loose that insight again: acne or not.

It certainly takes over your life and then (if you're like me), you feel stupid for letting such a minor thing take over your life.  The trick is to keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other.  The other trick is to turn your thoughts away from your skin and onto something more positive and wonderful about yourself.

I can't tell you all how lucky we are to have friends and families who love and support us no matter what our skin looks like.  That means more than anything else to me.

Accutane does a lot of things. It not only reduces the size of oil glands but also changes protien structure in the skin, increases collagen and messes up all other parts of your body as a perk.

It is easy to explain effects based on this, but the reason , from what I heard from my derm, they are so unclear and varied among ppl is that the absorption of accutane is very inefficient in the various parts of body.

So some ppl develop eye problems instead of a clear skin, some ppl break a bone instead of clear skin etc etc.

By the same token the init breakout should be uniform and concentrated in the first 2/3 weeks but because the absorption is so inefficient in some ppl the breakout contiues for a long time, for some tane does not work at all etc etc.

In spite of all that, the majority of ppl do benefit from accutane which is why it is still in the market.

My derm could be completely wrong but he at least has a theory which he shared with me ( after I asked him many times), as opposed to derms who say "I do not know, but here is your bill" smile.gifsmile.gif

It certainly takes over your life and then (if you're like me), you feel stupid for letting such a minor thing take over your life.  The trick is to keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other.  The other trick is to turn your thoughts away from your skin and onto something more positive and wonderful about yourself.

I dunno i wouldnt believe naturalis/ some wonder topical in general. Especially when its people with like 6 posts posting it all over the forum. Stick with tane, ride it out and trust me you'll be happy because I am just getting done with the initial breakout and the new zits that do form are pretty weak/shortlived

I hate to say it but I completely agree with WZA. Most of us have tried every acne product and prescription known to man. That is how we came to Accutane. I am the test-bunny of acne and scar products and will try anything once. Thus far, nothing has worked for me the way that Accutane is working for me right now. Everyday I am getting compliments on my skin and it feels wonderful.

I understand the initial breakout, but what makes you still be breaking out in the sixth month!! Hopefully, the derm will have some answers. I can't help but think it's holiday junk. In this case, she'll still be breaking out after the holidays because of junk eating. That's not going to stop on her part I think. I was kind of hoping accutane would stop breakouts no matter what she ate. She's got like two new ones today. eusa_wall.gif

Like everything else in my life that sucks or has sucked, I view it as character building.  Through this experience, I am learning that I am more than just a pretty face (I modeled as a teenager and was brought up to believe that image is everything).  I am learning to focus on other things like getting my manuscript published and finding out how fortunate I am to be with a man who loves more than my looks.  I am starting to learn that the media-induced image of beauty is bullshit and that beauty has a lot more to do with grace, kindness and the warmth of someone's eyes.  Through this experience, the world is showing me its inner points and I find myself never wanting to loose that insight again: acne or not.

I can't tell you all how lucky we are to have friends and families who love and support us no matter what our skin looks like.  That means more than anything else to me.

does it really matter what is happening? the point is with most acne drugs you usually get an initial breakout, and accutane is one of them. I got my initial breakout a month after i started taking the drug and just toughed it out. just tough it out. I'm done my accutane now and my skin is great except for the red marks but who cares about them anyway.