Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blemishedgirl

Seeking a cause and cure

Acne is such a stupid little problem!!!! Why hasn't anyone found "THE CURE".

I notice that there are quite a few people who have been on accutane more than once. It seems to work for a few years after, but comes back. (I am on it myself for a second time)

What is different about those people that have clear skin??? Hormones? Come on! Clear skinned people have hormones too! And if it's hormones, why didn't my acne clear up when I was one the BC pill (The one that is supposed to be good for your skin)??? What makes us acne sufferers different and why can't researchers find a simple cure?

Is it in our DNA? Not one person in my family has this problem but ME. My mom has great skin. WHAT HAPPENED TO ME???

I am on accutane again because that is the only thing that ever worked. Even if it was for just a couple of years at a time. I hate having a crappy complexion. People view bad skin as a reflection of poor health. I also hate it when clear skinned people give you their hygene advice as if you didn't take care of yourself properly. They swear by their creams, soaps, and other topical remedies that don't do CRAP for someone who is truly inflicted with cronic acne. I've tried them all as directed, and if it doesn't get better it gets worse.

I drink lots of water. I eat healthy. I work out. I have good hygene. What the hell???!!!

So, Accutane. Here we go again. I'm loading more poison into my body in the hopes that I at least appear healthy on the outside if only for a couple of years at a time. I'm not kidding myself. This stuff is horrible to our bodies. I also know it's not a cure. eusa_wall.gif But I've litterally tried everything else.

Why hasn't anyone come up with a cure yet? Whoever comes up with a complete cure will mostly likely become a billionaire; don't ya think? There are literally billions of ppl living with this cursed disease. Phew... It's so frustrating.

I have visions of becoming a top dermatologist in the field after I've found my personal cure for acne. I also have dreams of creating a basic skincare/make-up line for people to use while they are on Accutane.

Neither one of these things will probably ever come to fruition but its the thought that counts.

Part of the problem is that what works for some people won't work for others. Therefore, everything is trial and error and for us few 'taners, just about everything else has failed or not worked well enough.

I think the question here is "is there a universal cure for acne?" The answer is "no, not yet." The fact that Accutane is the best cure out there and has been around for twenty/thirty years is pretty frightening. I think dermatologists and scientist are focusing on the more severe diseases of the skin such as cancer and not putting enough into finding other solutions for people suffering for acne.

I really hope there is a cure by the time I have a kid and they are a teenager I don't want them to have to go through what I have but I think there will be more out there for them to help them not necassarily a cure but something that will make it easier for them yea it is strange acne.... my b/f has a clear face and acne on his back and I have never had any acne on my back ever! and my face has always been bad I find that odd as well confused.gif

there is no reason for pharmaceutical companys to spend money on making a cure, why would they do such a thing while they make money off of your visits and medications......nobody makes cures...only treatments to futher their money hungry bellies....to be honest if i discovered a cure and treatment, i would sell the treatment....money makes the world go round

I think it would be possible to find a cure, but is is just that no one takes this seriously.

Almost everyone thinks that ppl are supposed to outgrown acne out of thier teens and that is it. Treatments seem to work for most ppl in that stage even without a cure.

Due to the same reason, the market will be so small , as compared to markets for diabetes drugs, heart problems etc etc.

I'm totally frustrated with the whole "why isn't there a cure yet" issue as well. I personally think that it has a lot to do with society's view of acne as a puberty thing. We're under constant pressure to look physically beautiful a la Hollywood (even pre-teen!), yet at the same time acne is labelled as a normal occurence, something that will go away eventually, just a regular coming-of-age phenomenon. It's so ironic that people can have a nonchalent attitude about acne as a condition, yet still be turned off by it and label it unattractive. I feel like nobody really cares if you have it, they just think, "haha, that's too bad for you, glad it's not me". Teens who are suffering from it, even when it IS a puberty thing for them, are completely depressed because while they're being told it's normal, they are also recieving messages left, right and center that it's undesirable. The explosion of hundreds of products in drugstores right now aimed to elimiate acne are proof of this mixed message. How many more Proactiv rip-off systems can companies come out with?

When you pass your teen years and STILL have acne (like myself and so many others here), you realize it's not going away like it's supposed to, and this really is a skin disease. I wish the medical community would take it more seriously, but for now Accutane seems like our only hope sometimes!

Arpazia --> After all I've learned about skin and acne over the years, I also seriously entertained the thought of being a dermatologist too! Haha. We'll change the world someday wink.gif

Mae

Mae, I can't agree with you more. Everything you just posted is so incredibly true that it just proves how ridiculously the world operates.

Mae & Arpazia Dermatology: Boldly going where no derms have gone before - - to the source of acne and finding the cure!

there is no reason for pharmaceutical companys to spend money on making a cure, why would they do such a thing while they make money off of your visits and medications......nobody makes cures...only treatments to futher their money hungry bellies....to be honest if i discovered a cure and treatment, i would sell the treatment....money makes the world go round

That's not true.  If I discovered a cure I'd make it incredibly expensive- people would pay.  I know I'd pay thousands if it meant a clear complexion forever.  People already pay indirectly thousands for accutane and that is a terrible excuse for a cure.

thats you....and it wouldn't matter if they made the cure expensive if they found one, becuase like i stated it would make no sense if they started curing people when they make millions off treatments that you will have to continue until the acne is gone, lets say the cure is thousands of dallors, they make that much off insurance for accutane so why on earth would they market a cure, just like treatments for diabetics or people with hiv, theres no need to cure people when you make money and yet the people are still living

thats you....and it wouldn't matter if they made the cure expensive if they found one, becuase like i stated it would make no sense if they started curing people when they make millions off treatments that you will have to continue until the acne is gone, lets say the cure is thousands of dallors, they make that much off insurance for accutane so why on earth would they market a cure, just like treatments for diabetics or people with hiv, theres no need to cure people when you make money and yet the people are still living

Guest Craigems

I dont know if you guys are aware but in England i think in about 2002 they discovered what they think is the cure for acne. They found out how to kill the bacteria in the oil glands which causes acne. I remember seeing a news report on it, they said that because its only new and no proper tests have yet been carried out for it ... it should be on the market in 2010 or something. I Honestly dont have any more information other than what i have just said. They said its almost an instant cure as it kills the bacteria instantly. I dont know if its a tablet or cream or anything yeh.

So guys there is hope out there! Heaps of generations have gone through this problem and there has been lots research in the area... Why else did they rush "Accutane" onto the market?

I totally agree with Mae, People do get turned off by acne I know because i do ... In some circumstances i know its ironicly harsh but its true! But i know first hand what people are going through so i can sympathise and in some circumstances feel bonded to them lol. Holywood and bitchy goodlooking people have ruined the life of some, but be strong people!

We got each other biggrin.gif and we still have alot going for us we are fortunate our problem can be treated to a degree.