Find results in...
Boston50

Scars after Accutane

Hello all. I was just wondering about what I perceive to be

scarring due to the initial breakout on accutane. My daughter is

pretty clear now in her 6th month but still not totally clear. Like

there are some healing bumps still evident. What bugs me is that

her skin kind of has the orange peel look to it. She has never had

this in the past. When she used to break out she'd just heal up with no scar even if she had picked at it. She had a real bad initial breakout from the accutane. I was wondering if her skin will plump out in time.

Have any of you experienced this only to have it start to look

better later?

hi boston,

if your daughters scars aren't very deep..it doesnt sound like they are, then i think with some mild treatment her skin will improve. but i dont think improvment happens naturally unless many many years pass. but that is just from experience.

i was on accutane too,and always wondered if the accutane caused scaring on my face. i dont remember having scars before..could just be fuzzy memory though. the way accutane strips oil from your face is pretty harsh,and i've always wondered if the lack of oils prevents skin from healing damage done by acne and leaves skin more prone to scars.

it could just be that you cant see all the scars because of acne,and then after it clears you see them.

jane

Hi,

I agree with what Rachel has said. I do think that, whilst accutane cleared up my severe cystic acne very well, it did exacerbate my scarring somewhat.

Don't worry too much about the strange tint to your daughter's skin. The inflammation that accutane causes will subside within a few weeks of finishing her treatment. I had a very ruddy look to my skin throughout my treatment but it faded away very quickly.

It sounds as though your daughter may be left with some mild scarring. There are treatments out there which can give very good results with mild scarring, but your daughter will have to wait about 6 months before she can undergo any of them.

I'd recommend a series of lactic acid peels, along with a microdermabrasion and possibly skin needling.

Your daughter's scars may improve a little of their own accord after accutane, but she will probably need treatment if she wants to improve them considerably.

Good luck. smile.gif

I remember my initial consultation with the derm that prescribed me accutane, she said "you're lucky 'cos you dont have any scarring" Four months later I went back to the derm and she told me I had shallow scarring. Before I took accutane I had mild/moderate but very persistant acne, during the initial breakout period of the accutane however I developed cystic acne, and it is this, combined with the severely dry skin caused by accutane, that I have to thank for my scarring. I think accutane is a very effective drug, but it should only be prescribed to patience with severe acne, it is overkill for anything less. People on accutane should definetly moisturize A LOT! Had the derm stressed this enough, I think my scarring would be much less noticable. The irony is I took accutane in the hope that it would eliminate the development of scarring.

I remember my initial consultation with the derm that prescribed me accutane, she said "you're lucky 'cos you dont have any scarring" Four months later I went back to the derm and she told me I had shallow scarring. Before I took accutane I had mild/moderate but very persistant acne, during the initial breakout period of the accutane however I developed cystic acne, and it is this, combined with the severely dry skin caused by accutane, that I have to thank for my scarring. I think accutane is a very effective drug, but it should only be prescribed to patience with severe acne, it is overkill for anything less. People on accutane should definetly moisturize A LOT! Had the derm stressed this enough, I think my scarring would be much less noticable. The irony is I took accutane in the hope that it would eliminate the development of scarring.

I noticed more scarring after I came off Accutane. It's possible that Accutane contributed to my scarring, but I think the likelier explanation is that the scarring was simply more noticeable/salient once all my active acne went away. I remember going into the dermatologist's office BEFORE going on accutane and looking at my face in his mirror from an odd angle and seeing lots of minute scars -- few of which I had seen in my bathroom mirror.

I think that Accutane is best if used by people who's acne has not responded to other treatments and who's acne is already scarring. Just my thoughts.

I think that Accutane is best if used by people who's acne has not responded to other treatments and who's acne is already scarring. Just my thoughts.

I agree she should use a decent moisturizer to keep the skin supple and less fragile. Also, have her put Spenco 2nd Skin Quick Heal on the active spots. It facilitates healing.

My MD told me accutane should help my scars, but not to expect a miracle.

I dont remember having scarring before Accutane. I thought I was the only one who thought Accutane caused my scarring. Guess I'm not alone. Thank God for Dr. Y and dermabrasion.

I agree she should use a decent moisturizer to keep the skin supple and less fragile. Also, have her put Spenco 2nd Skin Quick Heal on the active spots. It facilitates healing.

Whenever I see this topic coming up I chip in with my knowledge on it which is now backed up by a very credible source - Dr Chu.

When I first saw Dr Chu I told him that I didn't have a single scar before accutane yet every single spot I had whilst on accutane scarred (horribly) and I had the photos to prove it (I kept a photo journal).

He looked at me and rather than make up rubbish like other derms do beause they are so unknowledgable he went,

"I see this all the time".

" Did the spots take a long time to heal when on roaccutane?"

My answer - "yes".

You see its not about finding excuses and saying that maybe it was the dryness that cause the scarring etc etc. The fact is that if you feel accutane caused your skin to scar it more than likely did. Roaccutane can alter the way your skin heals (especially whilst on the drug) and instead of the normal healing happening, scarring occurs instead.

Now of course there are plenty who don't scar with accutane, of course. But many do fall into this unfortunate category which can be devestating. I'm certainly the worst case I've ever seen of this. My scars are deep!

However what concerns me more about accutane is the permanent health problems it evidently causes so many. Your derm probably doesn't know the half of it. In fact ask him by which chemical route Accutane is made, they will not answer because they know nothing about the drug.

Why would it affect the skin for an average of nine years? Listening to a dimwit like Professor Cunliffe guessing that it is due to killing diseased sebaceous glands is quite laughable and welcome to the more likely reason of altered gene transcription.

Roaccutane (isotretinoin) is a synthetic retinoic acid. The body uses retinoic acids to regulate gene expression. Gene expression means the way that cells are created (simplified a lot). Cells to be created needs transcription and replication of DNA. To put it simple, it’s like making a cake. You need the ingredient list to be able to make the cake. The body needs DNA to be able to make the cells. Retinoic acids comes in this process by regulating the gene expression. It means that retinoic acid is a part of the creation of the cells. Retinoic acids binds to specific receptors in the body and play the role in the transcription and replication of DNA.

Because Roaccutane and retinoic acid play a key role in the skin keratin gene. Acne is a keratin problem. So to fix acne you need to change the way DNA replicates for the keratin process to be brought to normal in patient with acne (having keratin problems). Roaccutane is the best known retinoic acid when it comes to keratin problems. So where is the problem with Accutane? Well the problem with Accutane is that unfortunaltely it doesn’t act only on the Keratin gene. It also act (to a lesser extent on many other genes). And hence the psooibility of permanent side effects.

IMO most worrying is the known effect of isotretinoin on the growth and death of cells. Isotretinoin was originally a cancer drug in much smaller doses than is given for acne (it does make me angry). It worked by causing cells to die far too early, hence controlling tumours. The possibility of permanently increased rate of cell death in other parts of the body was more tolerated as the alternative with cancer is death. Now acne is not life threatening. IMO think carefully before you take isotretinoin. Or at least tale a small dose to reduce your chances of permanent injury.

Thanks for that insightful information, Rupert. I think it would be good if you could post that in the 'prescription meds' forum, perhaps to help people consider more carefully whether they want to go on the drug.

I'm not against going on accutane - I don't regret it - but I do think that the consideration you should take over it beforehand can't be emphasised enough.

By people saying that they didn't scar before accutane doesn't make sense.

You were put on accutane because your acne was so bad nothing else would clear

it. So you never really knew how your face would look unless the acne was gone.

Either way you would have scared with severe acne being on accutane or not.

This thread has me paranoid now..

I guess I have been lucky so far. I have had acne around 5 years, sometimes the very bad cystic form of it, but have only one semi noticeable scar, ice pick scar I believe, on my cheek.

I haven't had much luck with bp or sa.. so i'd been considering starting accutane, just to get some longterm relief, and more importantly so I don't get any more scarring.

But if accutane is making people more prone to getting scars as sounds true from this thread, I'm not so sure I would want to risk it.

This thread has me paranoid now..

I guess I have been lucky so far. I have had acne around 5 years, sometimes the very bad cystic form of it, but have only one semi noticeable scar, ice pick scar I believe, on my cheek.

I haven't had much luck with bp or sa.. so i'd been considering starting accutane, just to get some longterm relief, and more importantly so I don't get any more scarring.

But if accutane is making people more prone to getting scars as sounds true from this thread, I'm not so sure I would want to risk it.

I had zero scars before taking accutane, now i have lots of scars...which really depresses me. In fact i`ve been off Accutane for 2 years and i still get scars from acne. I used to have really good skin with maybe 4 or 5 spots.

My acne was actually made worse by Accutane, and my skin just doesn`t heal well at all now. Scars wouldn`t bother me so much if it wasn`t for the fact that i caused them by taking that horrible drug.

I voiced my concerns with my derm some time ago, she said that i would have scarred anyway and that it would have been worse had i not taken.....to be honest it was very difficult to fight the urge to knock her teeth out. It doesn`t take a genius to figure out that if someone doesn`t scar, they take a drug and then a a month later they start scarring, the drug caused it....stupid b*tch i`m going to fix her.

im almost positive that accutane and even topicals such as Retin A does indeed thin the skin and make it more scar prone.. I went on a very Very Mild Dosage of Accuatane for 1 month and my skin became more scar prone.. There isnt a doubt in my mind that Accutante does this.> So beware

im almost positive that accutane and even topicals such as Retin A does indeed thin the skin and make it more scar prone.. I went on a very Very Mild Dosage of Accuatane for 1 month and my skin became more scar prone.. There isnt a doubt in my mind that Accutante does this.> So beware

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/skindoctor/accutane.html

this doctor Audrey Kunin, M.D. posted this on the above web site ..anyway she kind of gives a good description of the skin healing wounds ..

"Also, the skin becomes more fragile during the time while on Accutane, so patients are informed not to wax their skin for hair removal. The skin can literally rip when the wax is removed. I have also seen patients who were exercising or doing sports who found their skin was much more prone to injury, (and also didn’t heal as well as normal), during this time frame. "

"Now that you’ve finished your Accutane, what can you do? As for dealing with any acne scars, it’s important to know that Accutane can cause excess wound healing. That means no dermabrasion, laser surgery, or I’d recommend no cosmetic surgery, for 3 years out. There have been reports of significant keloid scar formation due to dermabrasion if performed early on after stopping Accutane. Certainly, life-threatening or major surgery, which needs to be done will be, but there is a small chance that the scar may not be quite as pretty as you might like it. For the right patient, I may perform some very mild glycolic acid peels by M.D. Forte about 3-6 months out from the Accutane to help improve the appearance of their acne scars. This time frame for chemical peels is somewhat controversial, and I can’t caution you enough that if a peel is done, it needs to be VERY mild, without inflammation of any kind to try to prevent any problems. Discuss this very thoroughly with your physician. "

My sister who had mild to moderate acne in her teens and in her adult life never took Accutance. She was always on some topical or anti-biotic. Today her skin looks like shit - deep holes and craters that she covers-up with make-up. She has no self-confidence whatsoever.

I took Accutane in my teens because I had a moderate case of cystic acne. My skin cleared up and my cystic acne never came back. My scarring was mild. But nothing compared to my sis's.

Thank god for accutane.

My sister who had mild to moderate acne in her teens and in her adult life never took Accutance. She was always on some topical or anti-biotic. Today her skin looks like shit - deep holes and craters that she covers-up with make-up. She has no self-confidence whatsoever.

I took Accutane in my teens because I had a moderate case of cystic acne. My skin cleared up and my cystic acne never came back. My scarring was mild. But nothing compared to my sis's.

Thank god for accutane.