Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lalason

Is surgery the next step?

Hi, I have tried all sorts of at home procedures and wonder if surgery is the way to go next. I think punch excision would be the best for me.

List of things tried; needling, lemon juice, self dermabrasion, glycolic acid peels, glycolic acid skincare products.

Hi, my scars are on my nose, one right slap bang on the front of it mad.gif and about 4 on the one side. They are all about 2-3 mm wide and probably about 1-2 mm deep. I also have a few ice pick scars on the area but if I could get rid of the main ones I wouldnt be that bothered about them. Its REALLY getting me down. The silly thing is that I always new they were there, and in certain lighting they look worse, but Ive moved to a new house and the lighting is so bad that every time I look in the mirror I want to cry sad.gif I cant go on like this any mor and need something done eusa_pray.gif

Yes, punching them sounds like the best thing to do. Make sure you go to an experienced plastic surgeon who is at least 50 years old. They younger ones have less experience you see.

Thanks Yellow Kid. Im trying to find a surgeon in my area. Would it only be surgeons who do this? Do dermatologists not do it also? Thanks all.

Dermatologists don't have anywhere near the experience in carefully opening a wound and then sealing it. And the way a wound heals determines what kind of scar will be left.

You might consider scheduling appointments with local Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons in your area and find out what they recommend. If you think that punch excision would be best for you then you might want to contact or read about Dr. Yarborough who is in New Orleans.

How many rounds of needling did you have done? If your scarring is moderate to severe then it is possible you'll need 3-4 treatments. I am not sure what you mean by "self dermabrasion". Are you talking about microdermabrasion? To my knowledge there is no way to do dermabrasion to oneself.

Self dermabrasion....... well some of the scars were at the top of my nose, on the bridge. Basically I got a nail file and filed away. Stupid yeah but it worked for me, they are about 75% gone. I had heard of some people using sandpaper?!?!?! But i used the smooth side of the file and did 2 or 3 mild procedures.

As I said that was stupid but for me it worked. One that didnt work was the lemon juice, that actually worsened one of my scars sad.gif so now Im doing no more and am seeking professional help.

NB I did pluck up the courage to ask my Doctor, his only advice was 'polyfiller type makeup' cry.gif

Alison,

What city/state do you live in? Maybe people can recommend a doctor in your area. Have you looked at the thread for "having dermabrasion with Dr. Y" (or something like that)? A couple of people have posted pictures of punch floats for deep scars, and it seems like a fairly sure method to get good results. Subcision seems to help some people with deepish scars but some people don't get any results, it seems. The other thing to think about is a temporary filler. I did collagen injections into deep scars for a couple of years, and they looked ok. (I just decided to look for more permanent improvement). A temporary filler might make you feel a little happier while you research other options. (Even with collagen you should really choose your doctor carefully).

I have definitely had the same feeling you write about--feeling desperate to do something to fix my scars as soon as possible. It's hard to make yourself slow down and do the research, but it will really pay off to learn what your choices are and really check out any treatment and doctor you're considering. All the best to you! Alice

Punches are available in the following sizes:

0.5mm, 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 5.0mm, 6.0mm and 8.0mm.

I actually live in Scotland (Glasgow)

I had fillers done years ago and it was the kind that needs redone, once it faded I didnt get it done again. But I reently read about a new filler that was permanent, I was maybe considering that?

The lemon juice method was one I read about on this forum about the same time last year, it involves putting it on your skin (kinda like the vinegar method) I didnt delute it enough and held it on the one area, it just acted like acid and burned away the skin, I thought it would have healed over nicely with some nice fesh new skin but sadly it didnt.

Alison,

Would you consider a trip to see Dr. Chu in London? He's very well known for treating acne scars. He does Isolagen, which may be the permanent filler (although I'm not sure it technically is a filler) you've heard about. I think he's had some luck with doing it in combination with subcision. I looked into this a few months ago (as isolagen should be available in the US soon). Seems like some people are getting some help from this procedure but it is by no means a miracle. I would search this board for Dr. Chu and isolagen and see what you find. A trip to London sounds quite a bit less painful than some of the stuff you've been doing. Just out of curiosity, did you not like the results from the temporary filler? Why didn't you have it redone? If it was because of money, you may find the cost of collagen and other injectables has come done in the past few years. Good luck to you. Alice

Alison,

Just out of curiosity, did you not like the results from the temporary filler?  Why didn't you have it redone?  If it was because of money, you may find the cost of collagen and other injectables has come done in the past few years.  Good luck to you.  Alice