Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick-e

Is it okay to tan/use sun beds whilst on accutane?

I never see the sun, especially now in the winter. In fact, I'm so pale i glow in the dark! tongue.gif

Would it be OK if I used our Philips Home Solarium for like 10mins MAX every day (or every other day) ?

I'm on 40mg roaccutane / day and almost starting my 4th week. Not very satisfied with the results thus far sad.gif

I used a tanning bed a few times while on accutane...

I haven't developed skin cancer YET.. but i still wouldnt advise it for you.

Please don't go tanning while on Accutane. Read the pamplet that comes with the Accutane it pretty much tells you not to expose your skin to the sun. Your skin is so much more fragiles while on this drug. It's not worth the risk.

I never see the sun, especially now in the winter. In fact, I'm so pale i glow in the dark! tongue.gif

Would it be OK if I used our Philips Home Solarium for like 10mins MAX every day (or every other day) ?

I'm on 40mg roaccutane / day and almost starting my 4th week. Not very satisfied with the results thus far sad.gif

Guest Craigems

Okay i was told to help with my skin pigmentation whilst on accutane, i should go swimming in the mornings and afternoons so my skin is exposed to sunlight but harmless rays. The skin is always tanning we just dont realise it half the time. So if your in a country where its summer i.e. here in sunny old Aus go out in the mornings and afternoons, if you go out in the middle of the day your asking for cancer.

This is what my derm told me, because i have a lot of pigmentation scarring and he's like well its good to do it this way .. dont tan in full sunlight or tanning beds coz they arnt good for you in the best of times!

Your skin is getting damaged by the sun's rays regardless of whether you see the tan or burn or not. Accutane makes your skin ULTRA SENSITIVE to the rays regardless of whether you see the tan or burn or not. My point being is this: You're tanning in a bed or outside during your treatment is amplifying your chances of skin damage from the sun so much more than when you weren't on 'tane - even if its 5 minutes, even if you cannot see it. I know older women who are fair skinned, never spent much time in the sun and are in their 50's and they skin looks awesome - and then I know women in their late 30's early 40's who spent so much time unprotected in the sun (no spf) and in tanning beds and they are a wrinkly mess. Is it worth it for a little color now, and spending only half of your life looking youthful? I don't think so. And especially w/the tane which makes your skin so much more vunerable to that damage. Im fair skinned, but i'd rather have clear (hopefully w/the the 'tane's help) and youthful skin when im 50 rather than be tan now and a raisin at 50. smile.gif