Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoLimiT

Your Fav. Cleanser/Moisturizer

Ok so I'm on my first week on Accutane and I need to stop using my acne treatment....like the cleanser and moisturizer since they seem to target oil which is not good. Already week 1 and my face is dry and flaky. But oil still exists....BLAH!

So....Accutane users....what do you use for a cleanser and a moisturizer. I'm kind of stuck on what to buy. I used Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion once (sample size) and it was nice and I'm considering buying the full size. Hope it doesn't break me out....EEKS!

Thanks a lot,

~JiN

POST UP! I'm curious on what you guys use during Accutane!

i am using a bunch of stuff

usana senè skin care line

good, but i imagine ill be phasing some of it out eventually, cos theres a toner involved

but im not that happy at this poit in my treatment, it seems like these inevitable breakouts right now are causing me alot of discomfort surroudning the entire thing... so, ill update here ina week and tell u how the sensè is treating me post-breakout (hopefully it will be over by then)

but, other than the obvious, i am not dry on my face at this point.. just a bit around my chin, because ive been afraid to touch the area breaking out with moisturizer.

confession- i have been bad and soemtrimes revert to pre-accutane face care regimen... but i am stopping is wear!

i hope alot of others post! luck!

ps- @ the end of my 2nd week on the tane.

cetaphil cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer

I do not moisturize often. This moisturizer makes my face look super oily and shiny - not good.

That's all I use.

I use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion. I also use Cleocin-T lotion occasionally and, if my face is feeling dry, I put a little Apricot Scrub in with the Cetaphil cleanser.

(On 7th week of Sotret [accutane])

I also use Cetaphilcleanser- but the best moisturizer that has only helped and not made me break out- is Proactive non-tinted moisturizer.

I think the other Proactive products are Horrible, but the moisturizer is fantastic - very very light.

Also- Hylunia mist- sprays on and air dries- takes away reddness and adds light moisture.

good luck on your accutane treatment!

Emmanuel,

yaa I agree. I put a separate post about it last evening. Basically it does contain macadamia nut oil and I have a strong feeling , it is causing some breakouts for me, so I was just trying to get some ideas of better mositurizers over it in that thread...

I feel like maybe it is messing up my skin a bit too. It is good for the body, but not the face(I don't think). Elsa* took it and swore by it, but she broke-out her whole 'tane course now that I think about it. eusa_think.gif

The question is: which moisturizer to use? It seems every one I look into has offending ingredients even if they are listed as "non-comodgenic."

To complicate things, my derm does not beleive that moisturizers can cause breakouts and told me I can even use vegetable oil. what the hell, that has the one of the highest probability of pore clogging among all oils.

Fave Cleanser(s): Dove Sensitive Skin bar, Noxzema Triple Clean

Fave Moisturizer: Olay Total Effects w/SPF 15

Once-a-Week Exfoliator to get rid of flakes: St. Ives GENTLE Apricot Scrub (for Sensitive Skin)

Mae smile.gif

WOW....i guess it's true. Cetaphil isn't as good as I thought.

Mae.....you use Olay Total Effects? I was thinking of getting that too. But I also need a moisturizer to use at night you know. Hope that moisturizer is working for you.....haha....I've heard great great reviews on that moisturizer

EDIT: Oops....it wasn't Total Effects I wanted...it was the Olay Complete w/SPF 15

Hi girls! I'll address both of you at once since we're all talking about Olay, hehe biggrin.gif

Yup I use Total Effects, and I love it... I think I started using it in 2002. I just find that it sinks into my skin really well and doesn't leave me greasy at all. Everyone is different though.. it took me a few trial and errors before finding this one! It really suits my skin or something.

I have tried the Complete with SPF 15 too, and I also like it. It's got a thinner consistency and on me, it's a tad greasier looking, but the plus side is that because it is lighter it might make you feel better about the non-comedogenic factor.

In general I'm a big Olay fan, I think it's quite a good skincare line, been around a long time and it's gentle. I love the body washes too, and I love the smell of it. Of course it's not really geared towards acne-prone skin, but as some of you know I have a grudge against all products specifically for "acne-prone skin" because I think they just worsen the situation. Less is more, gentler is better!

Alright anyways, if you try Olay let me know what you think! At night time, I haven't been applying moisturizer in the last week. I think that Olay Total Effects has a specific cream for night, but I'm a little scared it might be too thick? I might give it a shot smile.gif

Mae

EDIT: oops I forgot to add, that a downside of Olay Total Effects is that it is expensive (at least here, it is). It costs me about $25 after taxes and to be honest, doesn't last me all that long, maybe a month or so. To me, it's worth it because it really is the best moisturizer I've found for my face... my skin just really likes it! So I figure sometimes you gotta pay for quality. wink.gif The Complete though, is not nearly as expensive!

Curel! It isn't greasy AT ALL, and moisturizes for 24 hours! I put it on after I shower, after letting my skin dry, and I don't need to moisturize til my next shower! I use the fragrance free version. Cetaphil irritated my skin and made it red. Curel is soooo gentle, my skin loves it!

I would suggest creams as moisturizer. Lotion will dry your face out more. This is my experience, anyway. I have been using a Vitamin E cream that does really well. My face doesn't shine if I rub it in well, and it makes my skin feel really great. It says on the small tub that it comes in that it increases collagen among other things. Just my two cents though.

I'm on my 5th week of Accutane and got 2 pimples this week for the first time in about two weeks. I was really shocked. Is this normal?!?! I took Accutane a couple of years ago and I can't remember too much from that treatment. I just pricked a pinhole in a vitamin E pill and put some of the oil on the two spots.

I'm in my fifth week and I got a bit of a breakout for the first time in two weeks too. I am PMS , upped my dose, and am still under the six week initial breakout window, so who knows what to attribute it to.

I didn't even expect to be this clear for two months.

I am thinking of using coconut oil on my skin for moisturizer. I had forgotten about that.

Hey everyone! ive been on the tane for 13wks now, and i have to say i LOVE cetaphils gentle skin cleanser! i used to use spectrogel religiously and remember trying the cetaphil once and disliking its waxy feel. however, i tried it again when i started accutane, and i really acquired a liking for it. it does have taht waxy feel, but it also makes the skin feel smooth afterwards and its completely non irritating. for moisturizer, i use Dormer 211, however im in Canada and im not sure if they sell this in the states or the uk. but its been the moisturizer of choice for quite some time; its a lotion, not a cream, so its light weight, but it absorbs well into my skin and does the job. good luck to everyone on their accutane adventures! wub.gif - Lisa