Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mutant

Body Acne getting worse

I have moderate acne on my back, shoulders and chest. I was on Tetracycline tablets and betadine body wash, and it was (very slowly) starting to clear. Then I decided to use B5 supplements roundabout the same time my doctor decided to prescribe Retin-A gel. Since using this my acne has got a hell of a lot worse with a lot more breakouts. Would you think its the B5 tablets or the Retin-A that is causing this? The spots have also started itching, its really beginning to p**s me off!

I would suggest it's probably the Retin-A causing an initial flare-up. This often happens with this topical. It will probably subside within a month. If it continues to exacerbate your acne, you should see your dermatologist about it - it may be that you are sensitive to one of the ingredients.

I would definitely say it was the B5 supplements that inactivated the tetracycline. I just had it prescribed to my today for the same problem and on the brochure it specifically mentions not to take any supplements of any kind (including antioxidants) while taking this. It also states this on the container of pills

hmm, i'll stop using the supplements then, but on the tetracycline the only supplements it said not to use were zinc or those that contained zinc. Plus, the flare up was only on the bits that i applied retin-A to. Will lay off the B5 for a while and see what happens.

hmm, i'll stop using the supplements then, but on the tetracycline the only supplements it said not to use were zinc or those that contained zinc.  Plus, the flare up was only on the bits that i applied retin-A to.  Will lay off the B5 for a while and see what happens.