Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wza

Stupid relatives...

I just got home from seeing my dad's side of the family. Of course he has to bring up the fact that I'm on accutane to my cousin because she is a doctor. My acne then becomes the topic of discussion while I'm sitting at a round table with like 15 family members in a very bright resturaunt; I wanted to shoot myself for the next 20minutes. I wanted to vanish behind a cloud of smoke.

I didn't even think my acne has been THAT bad (or at least I had tried to cope by convincing myself of this) , but who am I kidding... right when I got home I went and looked in the mirror and damn it is pretty bad. Bunch of new zits that are large and painful, add that to my widespread hyperpigmentation and some scarring and I = a mess.

The most unnerving part about it wasn't when my aunt gave me the run down on what cleansers and creams to use as if I don't already know 10x as much as she does about acne; it was those looks that my family members gave me- their eyes don't lie. I could see they thought I looked terrible and could tell they pitied me. Why the hell does this type of skin evaluation have to occur on Christmas? I have a derm to give me a second opinion on my skin, couldn't my family just treat me normally so that way maybe I'd forget about it instead of becoming self conscious all over again?

sad.gif

word.

my mother, i have noticed, loves to announce at the last two family gatherings, have u takeny our pil yet?... or, also, announcing to my uncle, for no reason, ya she just satrted accutane.

like.. sheesh peopel? wheres the decorum?

fack it you know.

Yes my parents used to do that all the time... then i would just get really nasty back and they dont mention it anymore. I can go around looking really bad and they wont say it cause i will get mad. LOL

Yea, anytime they bring it up I am just like "do you have any suggestions" even tho I'm on tane and their suggestions are worthless. hehe. I got yet another f'n family gathering tonight in like 20 min, bunch of ppl coming over including this crazy ass grandma from the other side of the family who i aint seen in like 10yrs.

Gonna be interesting to say the least, i bet she will disrespect me in my own house and be like "what's wrong with your skin?". Im so tired of the holidays, I cant enjoy them when my face is broken out. Three days in a row ive had to see my f'n family, ba-humbug

My grandmother was over yesterday and she says to me, you should try this Aveeno lotion on your face or you should try this....blah blah blah. As if I haven't tried every single thing on the market. I'm on Accutane, I don't need to try any of that OTC crap it doesn't work. My parents are really cool and don't ever mention my skin, even when it's at its worse. People who are never around someone with acne don't really understand how if affects us and think that their suggestions are helpful. I know they're just trying to help, but I wish they knew just how embarrassing it is.

Word up. I know exactly how you feel. Most of my family never mentions it, but my Grandma... that's a different story. Every time I see her she says "just make sure to wash it every day and keep it clean, blah blah blah..." As if I don't know that? Jesus Christ. Oh yeah Grandma, I'm too lazy to even use soap, I don't give two RIPS about my face. Oh well. I guess she has good intentions.

why didn't you just tell them, "excuse me. this topic is closed for discussion. i don't want to hear anyone talk about it starting now." i mean, seriously. why don't you? don't be passive. that's what people did all the time around me. one day i told them i basically wanted them to shut the hell up and they did. they needed a wake-up call to shut their mouths. sometimes you have to just shut people up. they don't know any better. you need to stand up for yourself. tell everyone in your immediate family you don't want your business talked about. they HAVE to respect that. if you had told your dad beforehand not to tell anyone about the accutane, i think he might have listened to you. you have enough to deal with. you don't need other people's opinions getting on your nerves, too.

That's true but I feel like if I come out and tell everyone not to mention my acne it will blow my spot up even more than not saying anything at all. Coming out and saying "dont talk about my skin" makes it look like it really bothers me, which it does, but I don't want people in my fam thinking that- ones I rarely see.