Notifications
Clear all

Ice pick scar treatment at 50

MemberMember
(@fsheridan001gmail-com)

Posted : 09/17/2022 10:39 am

Now I have hit the big 50 I'm seeing the scars on my cheeks turn into odd wrinkles when I smile. Is it too late to do something about these scars? What treatment would work? 

20220918_012256.jpg

20220918_012224.jpg

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/17/2022 2:10 pm

3 hours ago, Rosiefly said:

Now I have hit the big 50 I'm seeing the scars on my cheeks turn into odd wrinkles when I smile. Is it too late to do something about these scars? What treatment would work? 

20220918_012256.jpg

20220918_012224.jpg

I have similar icepicks sadly, and they were like 3x deeper in my youth. Heavy duty dermabrasion was the only successful thing I tried but I had massive healing capabilities back then. Certainly you need some sort of aggressive resurfacing if you want to attempt to even out the nicks. Certainly that carries risks as well, like pigmentation risks. 

It's very hard to really be certain in a recommendation. I would say the only things I think wouldn't waste your time and would either produce a great result or a risky one is maybe a very intense laser or very aggressive dermabrasion. I would simply add, please do a test spot in anything you try. Don't try to push it all into one treatment no matter how cheap or easy. I absolutely despise doctors doing that at the expense of one's face. Demand a test or a slower process to be safer.

MemberMember
(@baylenbb)

Posted : 09/18/2022 11:35 pm

TCA cross, probably. Some derms might excise with punch tool but its a risk it could be bigger. Your skin looks beautiful though and I doubt its worth going through the process of attempting to eliminate them.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/19/2022 6:17 pm

If you do TCA do a test on 1-2 spots it often makes spots larger or wider for some people but he's not wrong, some people respond well. Test Test Test.

I disagree with above to the extent that if you want, at your age, to take one final try at getting a better texture or minimizing scars, you should go for the one that has the best change or the full monty so to speak which I think might be aggressive dermabrasion like really aggressive not some wimpy kind. Again, test test test a spot first.

But like above, you might wish to just avoid the risks and move on. If I were you I'd find it a hard choice. Either move on or go aggressive resurfacing, testing first. Remember healing is limited at older age too. More can, presumably, go wrong. That's not based on experience, just reading/assumption.