Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarentinos

Do you suppose it's the water itself?

Both my mom and I have sensitive skin--my skin breakes out a bit after touching animals, and I can't wear anything metal as I will form a rash. I've had mild to moderate acne for the past few years. I've tried several products, diet, and medicinal solutions, including the regimen. The regimen seemed to work for awhile but now I have reached week 3ish and my face is VERY dry and flaky. I think the onset of the winter season plus BP day and night is way too drying. (I'm not an oily person at all. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I produce oil eusa_angel.gif ) I've also developed a couple of cysts. So I've decided to take a break and just "spot" BP and moisturize.

All that said, my mom was talking about how she would take home hotel soaps because her face seems to clear when she washes at the hotel. Mind you, she doesn't really have a problem with Acne... but all the same, she has to watch her face very carefully (moisturize, clean, etc.) to keep it healthy looking. As I said, she just has sensitive skin--she has some weird skin type allergies too.

However, she added that when she brought these hotel soaps home that they didn't seem to clear things up like they did at the hotel. "Maybe it's the water," she said. Now I had some ideas before... but this really struck me. Other people complain about the "hardness" of the water where I live. The runoff from water on our street has actually stained the street. Not to mention, I'm allergic to metal and water travels through quite a bit of metal piping on the way to my house.

Moreover, I've noticed the same thing my mom noticed. When I'm away from home, my Acne clears. Period. I went on a ski trip last Spring Break--and my skin cleared. I even got comments about how much "fuller my face looked" when I got back. On the other hand, it may have been the combination of excercise, mountain air, sunshine, etc. BUT my face even clears when I visit my friend's house in a nearby city. He has a water filtration system for his whole house... and he is 99% clear of Acne all the time.

Some of you may read this and say "Bah... I have a filtration system and I still have Acne." That's alright, I'm not presenting this as THE CURE--but I'm going to go by Sears as soon as I can and buy a little $18 sink filter to use to wash my face. It can only help, right?

Trying all these washes and chemicals, I seem to have overlooked a common thread in each one--WATER.

Im no expert about this issue, but I know that Cameron Diaz wash her face with some kind of special spring water bottles that she orders from France (if I recall right). So yes it can probably have a little to say, what kind of water you use to wash yourself with.

To start off, I am 16, American living in Poland. I moved here about 3 months ago. When I was in the States my skin was practically perfect, besides maybe needing a tan, I only had about 3 zits a month, small in significant little things. When I moved to Poland....BOOM......broke out like crazy and still am fighting a losing battle. I am almost sure it's the water here but I can't be for sure......

Timychka

To start off, I am 16, American living in Poland. I moved here about 3 months ago. When I was in the States my skin was practically perfect, besides maybe needing a tan, I only had about 3 zits a month, small in significant little things. When I moved to Poland....BOOM......broke out like crazy and still am fighting a losing battle. I am almost sure it's the water here but I can't be for sure......

Timychka

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if this were true... all kinds of things can irritate your skin and minerals or chemicals in the water could easily give you acne. Chlorine is known to cause acne, it's called "chloracne". And while it's not exactly the same thing as "normal" acne it is very similar. If there is a lot of chlorine in that water, it could be that that is breaking you out. I live in an area with pristine tap water, so I don't bother to filter it even when I drink it, so water has never really been an issue but this sounds like something in the water could definitely be breaking you out.

edit: look at this site : http://dermnetnz.org/acne/chloracne.html

Pretty good description of it. Some of those pictures are TERRIBLE sad.gif

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if this were true... all kinds of things can irritate your skin and minerals or chemicals in the water could easily give you acne. Chlorine is known to cause acne, it's called "chloracne". And while it's not exactly the same thing as "normal" acne it is very similar. If there is a lot of chlorine in that water, it could be that that is breaking you out. I live in an area with pristine tap water, so I don't bother to filter it even when I drink it, so water has never really been an issue but this sounds like something in the water could definitely be breaking you out.

edit: look at this site : http://dermnetnz.org/acne/chloracne.html

Pretty good description of it. Some of those pictures are TERRIBLE  sad.gif