Notifications
Clear all

Advice on acne scars w/limited options (pics)

MemberMember
(@miguel98oliveiragmail-com)

Posted : 08/28/2022 3:04 pm

Hello

I would like some advice about what acne scar types do I have and which treatments would probably do best.

From my analysis, my left side has two big depression on the side, wide scars, probably rolling scars? which are interconnected (the left side pica arent the best). Those are very noticeable under the sun. You can see a depression line from scar to scar. Other than that, I have textural issues. A lot of small shallow scars creating a super wavy texture under directional light.

My right side has two depressions on my cheeks very close to one another. Im not sure what scars are those. Beside that I have some other wide but shallow scar and a couple of small but deeper boxcars? 

I want advice about my scars, how deep/complicated to resolve are they, what types, what realistic results should I be expecting and which treatments.

In my area I havent found any good doctors yet. From the research I've been doing, my alternatives are: CO2RE laser, fraxel, microneedling (home), microneedling rf, peels. 

Ive done multiple 15% TCA peels, multiple microneedling at home (1 to 1,5mm) and recently CO2RE (10 days ago). My scars are pretty much unchanged since idk. I really like the TCA peels, It didnt help the major scars much but It made a huge difference in my skin texture and glow. Texture was smooth, colour was more even.

Given my options I'm considering trying rf microneedling or consider new laser treatments but perhaps more potent settings this time (i don't think it made any difference). Also 25% TCA peels. Thoughts? 

20220828_190650.jpg.27f16a15f2c1e2125656fec743909012.jpg

20220828_190404.jpg.84eaf44f8ef6222243a6be6d16a126d3.jpg

20220828_194551.jpg.ec217b9e5eba172b87549e1f369ca32a.jpg20220828_190429.jpg.d42c830e6906d1fe051c5a869bc85b83.jpg20220828_191833.jpg.c950ce99e45a0d9ca5373540e30c6df0.jpg20220828_194529.jpg.5b8e24cd41e5530a0a12d2c2f22eecd3.jpg

20220828_194544.jpg.bae9a8201b9cedc6cbbab153c43f8a31.jpg

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 08/28/2022 4:05 pm

None nothing needed maybe fillers on the spot

MemberMember

Posted : 08/28/2022 5:08 pm

Nothing? How so?

Ill try to upload new pictures tomorrow with directional light

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 08/28/2022 11:27 pm

You're obsessing. Leave your face alone.

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 08/29/2022 9:05 am

reading the text without the pictures, i would have thought you had acne scars

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 08/29/2022 10:43 am

Your skin is great. I do not think its worth the money and effort to do anything.

MemberMember

Posted : 08/29/2022 1:50 pm

20220829_194839.jpg

20220829_194752.jpg

20220829_194408.jpg

20220829_194440.jpg

20220829_194629.jpg

Guys please. I need your help. Wouldn't be here if I didn't have any issue. A few scars I have are noticeable and I want to fix those.

21 hours ago, getsmart121 said:

Where would you use them? Which fillers would you recommend? Do you recommend subcision as well?

I'm not very educated in fillers, are the results permanent?

What do you think about multiple TCA peels medium or deep (was thinking around 25%)? Do you think that would fix them?

4 hours ago, Insearch said:

reading the text without the pictures, i would have thought you had acne scars

3 hours ago, Fehheh77 said:

Your skin is great. I do not think it™s worth the money and effort to do anything. 

14 hours ago, Urbanite said:

You're obsessing. Leave your face alone.

Guys, take a look at the new photos I posted. I know it's far from severe but It bothers me and I want to change that.

Also, which type of scar are those?

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 08/29/2022 2:59 pm

1 hour ago, Seelfed said:

20220829_194839.jpg

20220829_194752.jpg

20220829_194408.jpg

20220829_194440.jpg

20220829_194629.jpg

Guys please. I need your help. Wouldn't be here if I didn't have any issue. A few scars I have are noticeable and I want to fix those.

Where would you use them? Which fillers would you recommend? Do you recommend subcision as well?

What do you think about multiple TCA peels medium or deep (was thinking around 25%)? Do you think that would fix them?

Guys, take a look at the new photos I posted. I know it's far from severe but It bothers me and I want to change that.

Some super shallow rolling scars. Microneedling cannot do any harm. 

MemberMember

Posted : 08/29/2022 3:24 pm

21 minutes ago, Fehheh77 said:

Some super shallow rolling scars. Microneedling cannot do any harm.

Thanks for the input. I was doing dermapen for awhile (havent been doing it consistent though). I did 1 to 1.25mm. Can't say Ive noticed remarkable improvement. Maybe try 1.5mm to 2mm?

Both right and left cheek are rolling scars? So TCA is useless, right?

My options based on my location are at home needling, CO2 fractional and rf microneedling.

What do you think about doing CO2 every 2 to 3 months and 1 session of needling in between?

23 hours ago, getsmart121 said:

Do you think there is tethering?

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 08/29/2022 9:25 pm

7 hours ago, Seelfed said:

20220829_194839.jpg

20220829_194752.jpg

20220829_194408.jpg

20220829_194440.jpg

20220829_194629.jpg

You also need to accept that treating your scars when they are so minor, runs the very real risk of your scars becoming worse. So really weigh the pros and cons before starting any treatment 
Are you willing to take that risk?

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/29/2022 10:14 pm

I'm going to be blunt. You have some texture stuff but I warn you that treating superficial scars are very difficult. There are people to this day that still don't have answers for texture or just rolling superficial stuff.

I don't want to steer you to things that are very short lasting like a peel that presumably only works for a few months or could make your texture murkier.

I get your angst and desire to fix texture but I would just say get a little filler for any indenture that is highlighted by sun or shadow respectively. I can see where that might help. Maybe a tiny little subcision with a little filler. But steer clear from needling or super aggressive procedures too risky for you.

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 08/29/2022 10:48 pm

I think you are going to really screw up your face if you aren't careful.

And I think you are obsessing. There's more going on here than barely noticeable imperfections which likely you are the only one who sees.

I wish someone had told me that years ago and I wouldn't have screwed up my face with fillers.

MemberMember

Posted : 08/30/2022 2:37 am

5 hours ago, Catharsis2018 said:

You also need to accept that treating your scars when they are so minor, runs the very real risk of your scars becoming worse. So really weigh the pros and cons before starting any treatment
Are you willing to take that risk?

Honestly yes. A few scars are noticeable as you can see, others I don't mind. I still got discoloration too. Also, from what ive understood scars tend to get worse as we age because of the underlying fat structure. If I want to improve it, I have better chances to do so when Im still young imo.

However, Im not looking for no miracle treatment. Im fine if I get 5 or 10% improvement over a treatment or several. If I get 50% improcement on my biggest scars, Im good. Idk if thats reasonable.

4 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

I'm going to be blunt. You have some texture stuff but I warn you that treating superficial scars are very difficult. There are people to this day that still don't have answers for texture or just rolling superficial stuff.

I don't want to steer you to things that are very short lasting like a peel that presumably only works for a few months or could make your texture murkier.

I get your angst and desire to fix texture but I would just say get a little filler for any indenture that is highlighted by sun or shadow respectively. I can see where that might help. Maybe a tiny little subcision with a little filler. But steer clear from needling or super aggressive procedures too risky for you.

Why is it hard to treat these scars? Are they rolling scars? I think fillers would work on my right cheek at least.

Now that you've mentioned peels, Ive had a positive experience with TCA peels 15% to the point where I thought most of my scars were very diminished even a couple of weeks after. If I have rolling scars indeed, TCA wont do anything to them?

What are your thoughts on doing several 25% over a year?

MemberMember

Posted : 08/30/2022 2:58 am

Also what you consider dangerous/aggressive treatments I should avoid?

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/30/2022 10:02 pm

18 hours ago, Seelfed said:

Also what you consider dangerous/aggressive treatments I should avoid?

Filler and/or subcision might be worth looking into but the more superficial the scarring the harder it is to fully heal. That's just how it is. If you mess with mostly healed scarring it could cause more damage.

Your pics I mostly see textural stuff and shadows from some rolling depressions. I doubt any procedures will help much on the textural end because I've been grasping that since forever. The slight depressions could be filled or subcised with care, but just be careful.

Aggressive stuff you should avoid is like lasers, dermabrasion, possibly strong peels. They'd just be high risk for little benefit.

I mean if you find a good solution for superficial texture let me know, I haven't found any in a long time. But you're lucky it's may cast shadows I get it and may shine a bit that's how texture works but it's very shallow in most lights and overall.

JMHO

MemberMember
(@orangelaser162gmail-com)

Posted : 08/31/2022 3:52 am

Dr Pozner in Florida swears by his micro laser peel which is full ablative erbium up to 100 microns (no blood) for fixing texture.

MemberMember

Posted : 08/31/2022 9:17 am

11 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Filler and/or subcision might be worth looking into but the more superficial the scarring the harder it is to fully heal. That's just how it is. If you mess with mostly healed scarring it could cause more damage.

Your pics I mostly see textural stuff and shadows from some rolling depressions. I doubt any procedures will help much on the textural end because I've been grasping that since forever. The slight depressions could be filled or subcised with care, but just be careful.

Aggressive stuff you should avoid is like lasers, dermabrasion, possibly strong peels. They'd just be high risk for little benefit.

I mean if you find a good solution for superficial texture let me know, I haven't found any in a long time. But you're lucky it's may cast shadows I get it and may shine a bit that's how texture works but it's very shallow in most lights and overall.

JMHO

I appreciate your advice.

Imma be honest this was far from the feedback I was expecting. Since my scars are mild, I thought It wouldn't be hard to get rid of them.

Just one question, what are the easiest and hard scars to treat?

Im going to look into fillers Im not sure I can find someone skilled with subcision right now. Do you reccomend any in particular? Is it risky? What results should I expect? Does it promote collagen or do I have to replace it every so often?

Sorry for asking a bunch of questions.

Also, I did CO2 Core fraction recently (about 3 weeks ago) and Im still recovering. Super mild settings. Based on your feedback and my experience (i think it didn't do much for my scars nor texture really) Im not going to continue the treatments. How long does it take to see results? Was I supposed to notice them by now? If anything some scars are wider.

What is your take on rf microneedling in my case? Does it make sense? Ive heard very good things about it. User beautifulambition and Dr Lim videos if im not mistaken.

Once againn, thank you for your help

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 08/31/2022 10:21 am

Just the way scars work the smaller and more superficial they are the harder it is to heal that almost 100% level otherwise people would have no scars. The deeper and wider the more potential and the better risk reward.

I don't think you'll see much from lasers. I think microneedling is a waste but rf microneedling bundled with other things with an experienced surgeon has shown some good stuff based on these boards.

Subcision is hoping to poke the shallow rolling scars bottom layer to generate more healing and volume than before and the filler seeks to aid that by keeping the scar from reattaching for a bit before it's absorbed. It can work for some and for others it's either done by inexperienced people or turns out poorly. It's.overall a safer procedure than others but I'm not super familiar.

I would try to work on the very shallow rolling scars rather than that texture which is hard to cure and risky. I have the same texture. It's not something you can throw dice at easily or know what to do easily. If it was more scarring then you could risk it maybe

MemberMember

Posted : 09/01/2022 2:58 am

16 hours ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Just the way scars work the smaller and more superficial they are the harder it is to heal that almost 100% level otherwise people would have no scars. The deeper and wider the more potential and the better risk reward. 

I don't think you'll see much from lasers. I think microneedling is a waste but rf microneedling bundled with other things with an experienced surgeon has shown some good stuff based on these boards.

Subcision is hoping to poke the shallow rolling scars bottom layer to generate more healing and volume than before and the filler seeks to aid that by keeping the scar from reattaching for a bit before it's absorbed. It can work for some and for others it's either done by inexperienced people or turns out poorly. It's.overall a safer procedure than others but I'm not super familiar.

I would try to work on the very shallow rolling scars rather than that texture which is hard to cure and risky. I have the same texture. It's not something you can throw dice at easily or know what to do easily. If it was more scarring then you could risk it maybe 

Thank you. I won't give up though. I barely tried anything so far. I won't do anything super aggressive.

Based on your advice and some of my convictions, Im going to find a doctor to perform subcision and look into fillers (do think HA fillers would work?).

In the mean time, Im going to buy 25% TCA peels. I would like to try rf microneedling too. No more lasers.

Another question. I think I have an ice pick scar in my right cheek close to those scars/texture. You can actually see the dot. It looks a bit like a mole because it is insanely red (its not pigmentation, its more like a macuke, bloodlike). It hasn't gone away in years. Do you have any thoughts?

I'm also looking for a away to remove the overall redness from the scars mostly in my right side (pictures didn't quite capture as Im still a bit red from the laser too). I think if they are even in colour they will be barely noticeable. 

image.png.49696321452c9e86d62974b5c09e68ca.png

20220829_194440.jpg

MemberMember
(@meshell22)

Posted : 09/01/2022 3:26 am

I agree with Catharsis. I have mild rolling scars and had subcision with filler done in May. In all fairness the indents did raise but not perfectly (I didnt expect perfection) but now I have some raised areas which are hopefully not permanent . I think because the rest of the skin is smooth its easy see these raised areas whereas If a larger surface area all around it was uneven in texture, these might not be noticeable. At this point I 100 percent regret having this procedure done. Im even more self conscious than I was to begin with. I know you want to get treated but just know there is a risk. Whatever you decide I hope you end with a success story. Maybe Im an outlier idk.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/01/2022 3:33 am

Nah, you arent. Its a bit like harmlessboy said. You flip a coin. Hopefully the filler will get absorbed and you will look like you did before in the worst case. But I really want to try something. Doing nothing is killing me. Just a little improvement, I'm not asking for perfect skin.

Btw do you have pics of your before and after?

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/01/2022 10:07 am

I think if you do subcision or filler do 1 spot and see. Don't do like 10 spots to save money or ruin your face to save the doctor time.

Acid may have a place for certain cases but I tend to think it's harder for permanent results unless you go to the riskier stronger acids.

I can't speak to the specific redness of that scar it could be for many things but it's likely hyperpigmented and requires it's own treatment to try and solve. Has it's own risks and complexity.

Personally if I were you I might try asking a surgeon if testing one spot with subcision and filler would be reasonable. But again you can't really control entirely how it heals if at all either. If you poke underneath you hope for mostly uniform volume generation but certainly a doctor could suck or you could get a worse outcome. That's why like with TCA cross I see these people do 10 spots at a doctors lazy request and all 10 spots worsen and doing 1 is an educated gamble.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/02/2022 8:31 am

I think I get your point. That's good advice. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/03/2022 3:32 pm

Your scars are very treatable, subcision is the answer. I see you have done microneedling at home, well... you can do subcision at home if you are up for it. There's a few users on this board in the past that have successful treated their scars at home doing this method but subcision is your answer; anything else is a waste of time and you will be disappointed. Those scars bands need to be cut apart.

But honestly, you have great skin... like you have to be in a cave under one light bulb for me to see your scars and that's what I'm working towards. My reply above would erase your scars but it takes time and work.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/05/2022 4:29 am

On 9/3/2022 at 9:32 PM, Insearch said:

Your scars are very treatable, subcision is the answer. I see you have done microneedling at home, well... you can do subcision at home if you are up for it. There's a few users on this board in the past that have successful treated their scars at home doing this method but subcision is your answer; anything else is a waste of time and you will be disappointed. Those scars bands need to be cut apart.

But honestly, you have great skin... like you have to be in a cave under one light bulb for me to see your scars and that's what I'm working towards. My reply above would erase your scars but it takes time and work.

Im listening. I haven't found a doc so far to do subcision and I'm not sure if I'm goinf ro find a acne scar specialist (atm its very hard to go abroad).

Do you think there is no fat loss? How do I tell?