Notifications
Clear all

Deep scars on cheeks - what should I do?

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 07/10/2022 8:10 am

Hey,

I had in my opinion deep scars on my right cheek and they bother me a lot, because in bad light they are strongly visible :( My confidence is not very good because of the scars. 

Had 4 sessions of fractional co2 laser without any improvement

Also I had 4 sessions of microneedling (with only 1mm needles) also without a visible improvement

I think about More microneedling sessions of couse with longer needles. Or maybe Subcision with filler, what do you think?

34CD071D-004E-4EC7-9DDB-14D8EEA85D8B.jpeg

642667C8-24E7-47B1-AA71-D09161473C68.jpeg

MemberMember
(@paull)

Posted : 07/10/2022 8:53 am

I do not think those would be considered deep by anyone here(myself included) but I totally understand how if affects confidence as I'm sure most here do. I don't know enough to recommend anything so I'll leave that to others but just wanna say I don't think they are that bad.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 07/10/2022 4:11 pm

If you get an experienced doctor like some other good results, you would likely have the best gamble at subcision and/or filler. They are not deep at all, but like myself, that rarely matters when shadows and sunlight in everyday things basically makes them look bad. So I get it. I'm not here to compare cases to the worst out there because any reasonable level of scars affects everyone.

But like I said, subcision within "puddle scarring" where you have defined shallow borders but slight atrophy that's (in my opinion) worth risking the subcision and/or filler.

The one other icepick/boxcar I don't know if you want to leave it alone or ask about punch excision for that one spot then try to subcise that too or something. But I found that the more experienced the doctor the better you can likely discuss these things or get really good advice.

MemberMember
(@candy-says)

Posted : 07/10/2022 6:23 pm

Subcision, HA filler will do the trick

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/04/2022 3:43 pm

Hi again,

only in 10 days I will have my first subcision. In the past weeks I read a lot of the procedure, read reviews and saw pictures of results after the treatment. Hope that subcision will not cause new scars or made my scars look more worse. What a horrible imagination. I know in general it is a žsafeœ prodecure comparing to others but I am a little bit nervous. 

I ask myself if this treatment is really the right choice. Of course, maybe I dont see any improvement, its ok. Scars could be so hard to treat, but would be a little sad in my opinion. I had a Laser treatment and Microneedling also with no improvement. 

I hope that everything goes well and I see at least a little improvement regarding to the deeper scars. 

2 weeks ago my colleagues and I sat in a modern restaurant with huge, really huge glass fronts. It was a sunny day. I knew and saw my scars were super visible. I felt so uncomfortable und was everthing but not relaxed. Scars can take over the entire mind, hate it so much.

I took a few pictures in the past. Think its easier after the treatment (of course when the swelling is gone away) to compare. 

Love this forum here by the way. So helpful and nice empathic people <3 

Here is another picture. 

76F0AE1F-D9E4-41F5-ACE3-3260A7D3C00D.jpeg

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/05/2022 1:24 am

I don't think you should put filler in your face.

Ask to do subcision and suction. Read Mr. Matt's thread. He never filled his face.

After subcision the scars will try to reattach. Everyone thinks the filler will keep it from doing that, but I don't believe it's 100%. So the scars will squeeze the filler into areas that are non scared and you could end up with a lumpier face.

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/05/2022 10:14 am

good luck during surgery!

listen to the crackling of the scar fibers breaking :D

this is completely bs science but maybe stock up on unflavored gelatin you can make jello with those flavored water enhancers and/or make bone broth soup for a collagen boost, that's what i do dietary wise .. not sure it does anything though lol

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/14/2022 7:08 am

Hey guys,

I had my subcision today and now time to write here ;) 

I was soo nervous before the treatment, my whole face and neck was very red. I am still scared that my scars could be look more worse in a few weeks or months. Or that I could have new scars from the needles. 

The doctor was a stranger to me, it was my first appointment (traveled about 600km in another country for the treatment). He said he performs subcision several times a day and its a dermatologist special for scars and a handful of other problems.

I got a numbing injection (they were painful), not only a numbing cream. I didnt feel pain during the procedure. 
But I also didnt hear any cracking (because of the numbing? - I dont know).

Think that was nokor needles and not cannula. And I havent any fillers at the moment. 

I got subcision on both cheeks. On the right cheek I have the most and deepest scars. Also on my forehead a few scars, but there I didnt want subcision. Its more than enough for the first time and I want to see how my skin looks in the future.

Well, I look terrible. But I knew that before. My cheeks are very swollen, red and blue.

I added a photo of the worst (right) cheek. 
Crazy what you do to improve scars¦

7190B380-79C9-49E5-876B-FFF68C6AA0F7.png

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 09/14/2022 8:13 am

After 2 to 3 weeks start massaging to avoid any lumps. Looks like you had nokor. This actually cuts everything so thats good.

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/14/2022 8:55 am

40 minutes ago, getsmart121 said:

After 2 to 3 weeks start massaging to avoid any lumps. Looks like you had nokor. This actually cuts everything so that™s good.

Thanks a lot for your answer, I will do that :) 

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/14/2022 9:34 am

1 hour ago, getsmart121 said:

After 2 to 3 weeks start massaging to avoid any lumps. Looks like you had nokor. This actually cuts everything so thats good.

I dont believe this to be true, nokor or not, its easy to miss scarbands or skip over it. Nele95, Im recovering from a diy subcision as well atm. Good luck on your recovery! Did you at least feel any bands being poked and cut? I see your doctor missed some easy scars based on the pic; thats what sucks about subcision and the logistics of it.. along with doctors that dont want to be as thorough or maybe its just the way it is from a 3rd person perspective

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/14/2022 10:35 am

@Insearch
Thanks, and of course I wish you a quick recovery without complications too!

I dont remember to be honest. My cheeks were very well anesthetized, and I was so nervous. My heart still beats faster when I think about the appointment. In general I am very anxious person. But yes, maybe the doctor missed something.

At the moment in my opinion the huge and dark hematomas are the worst.
Luckily I dont have to go to work next week (holidays). And after that I can work at home. Addionally we have the duty to wear a mask in public transportation.

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/14/2022 12:12 pm

1 hour ago, Nele95 said:

@Insearch
Thanks, and of course I wish you a quick recovery without complications too!

I dont remember to be honest. My cheeks were very well anesthetized, and I was so nervous. My heart still beats faster when I think about the appointment. In general I am very anxious person. But yes, maybe the doctor missed something.

At the moment in my opinion the huge and dark hematomas are the worst.
Luckily I dont have to go to work next week (holidays). And after that I can work at home. Addionally we have the duty to wear a mask in public transportation.

Thanks! Im about to do round on my cheek same as your area. Not to be a sick but your doctor definitely missed a few obvious scars which makes me question these doctors methods.. its good that you got to experience subcision.. I honestly think subcision should always be priority before any treatment and it takes a lot of subcision sessions to get desired results because this is exactly like building muscle when building up collagen and dealing with those stubborn scar bands.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/14/2022 7:00 pm

11 hours ago, Nele95 said:

Hey guys,

I had my subcision today and now time to write here ;) 

I was soo excited before the treatment, my whole face and neck was very red because of my excitement. I am still scared that my scars could be look more worse in a few weeks or months. Or that I could have new scars from the needles. 

The doctor was a stranger to me, it was my first appointment (traveled about 600km in another country for the treatment). He said he performs subcision several times a day and its a dermatologist special for scars and a handful of other problems.

I got a numbing injection (they were painful), not only a numbing cream. I didnt feel pain during the procedure. 
But I also didnt hear any cracking (because of the numbing? - I dont know).

Think that was nokor needles and not cannula. And I havent any fillers at the moment. 

I got subcision on both cheeks. On the right cheek I have the most and deepest scars. Also on my forehead a few scars, but there I didnt want subcision. Its more than enough for the first time and I want to see how my skin looks in the future.

Well, I look terrible. But I knew that before. My cheeks are very swollen, red and blue.

I added a photo of the worst (right) cheek. 
Crazy what you do to improve scars¦

7190B380-79C9-49E5-876B-FFF68C6AA0F7.png

I'm very much hoping you get a great outcome but remember swelling artificially masks anything so just be reasonable and wait to see and hope for the best.

Wishing you the best recovery, be well!

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/15/2022 9:12 am

Little update (one day after subcision)

The swelling is not very bad in my opinion. And luckily I have no pain.

But the bruises are severe. Have a Iot of them and its so dark. Think its really takes a long time to heal.

I will stay at home also tomorrow. At the weekend I will put some make up on my skin, we will see how it looks. I cant image that bruising will not be visible. And its difficult to remove the make up as gentle as possible. Think its better to avoid touching the skin (except washing), looks so traumatized :( 

Thanks a lot for the help and support here. I hardly slept the last night due to concern about my skin and if it was the right choice. 
I have to calm down, my stomach is also very restless. Hard time. 

Best regards

Nele

P.S. Sorry for the mistake yesterday. Of course I was not žexcitedœ, I mean žnervousœ. In Germany we say to be excited also in a negative way (nervous). I have corrected it. 

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/15/2022 9:32 am

15 minutes ago, Nele95 said:

Little update (one day after subcision)

The swelling is not very bad in my opinion. And luckily I have no pain.

But the bruises are severe. Have a Iot of them and its so dark. Think its really takes a long time to heal.

I will stay at home also tomorrow. At the weekend I will put some make up on my skin, we will see how it looks. I cant image that bruising will not be visible. And its difficult to remove the make up as gentle as possible. Think its better to avoid touching the skin (except washing), looks so traumatized :( 

Thanks a lot for the help and support here. I hardly slept the last night due to concern about my skin and if it was the right choice. 
I have to calm down, my stomach is also very restless. Hard time. 

Best regards

Nele

P.S. Sorry for the mistake yesterday. Of course I was not žexcitedœ, I mean žnervousœ. In Germany we say to be excited also in a negative way (nervous). I have corrected it. 

Moisturize and rest/sleep and eat well, no make up.. it could cause issues in the skin because there still is an open wound.

I did subcision last night then had salmon mash potatoes dark green leaf meal and applied this coloplast collagen gel along with  3m tegaderm film before bed and I slept great :) take care of yourself please 

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/16/2022 7:49 pm

I'm not an expert in subcision aftercare but I would say something more natural like vaseline might also be helpful if you're afraid of moisturizing. Like EltaMD moisturizer which is basically like an expensive less greasy vaseline/natural for after surgical procedures. This person I chat with on here recommended it for me a while back.

Also while I wish you the best recovery and any progress, I always tell people it might be more prudent to alleviate the worries or nervousness to take it slower like do 1-2 spots first and so forth. Doctors do try to push it all for scheduling/etc but I tend to say to people just pay more and take it slower see how it goes and you'll have less anxiety in the process and the healing can be more gradual. But either way subcision is technically a more safe procedure than many others.

Also, eat vitamins and nutrients and vegetables and vitamin c/fruits. It's really important to get those nutrients in while you're healing so your body can utilize them same day etc.

Try to not use makeup as the above poster said, it's an open wound. If you can that is. I don't think the healing will take "too" long but it's solely dependent on the doctor who did it and how aggressive/technique. But injury is the point/necessary to invoke healing. You should've seen the bleeding and I had no skin after aggressive dermabrasion long ago. I had scabs the size of half a pancake on each cheek lol.

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/18/2022 10:11 am

Hi,

its the fourth day after subcision and my skin is recovering very well.

I had very deep purple and a lot of bruising/hematoma. Ok, no wonder I felt how blood running down my cheeks during subcision.These bruising are luckily turning yellow. I can feel lumps on both cheeks (not really visible from outside), hope that these are resolves themselves.

Because the weather was stormy and rainy I decided to stay at home at the weekend. I already feel a lot better, because of the good recovery. From day to day the skin looks a bit more normal.

Its to early to say something about the condition of my scars because of the discoloration and little lumps.

I have nothing to moisturize the area (only a creme for blemish skin). Will buy something tomorrow in the drugstore. Maybe a classic creme for sensitive skin.

Best regards

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 09/18/2022 9:50 pm

Give at atleast two weeks it will still be swelled but not bad.

MemberMember
(@baylenbb)

Posted : 09/18/2022 11:32 pm

Eat well, follow doctor protocols on exercise, sleep at a decent hour every night, don't smoke cigarettes and avoid alcohol.

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/19/2022 12:35 am

50 minutes ago, Dontgiveupitsonlyscars said:

Eat well, follow doctor protocols on exercise, sleep at a decent hour every night, don't smoke cigarettes and avoid alcohol.

Had never smoked and in general dont drink alcohol. Eat healthy (mostly vegan for 4 years), I know my blood values have always been good but I still take a mix of vitamins and minerals for the best possible healing.

MemberMember
(@nele95)

Posted : 09/21/2022 1:51 pm

Hi,

Update 1 week after subcision:

my swelling is completely gone on the right cheek, no lumps anymore. On the left side a have still little swelling.

But... I'm very sad and depressed. I looked today at my right cheek under overlightand scars have not improved, one or two look even worse/deeper, but I have checked that again. Its my first impression.

Of course a week isnt enough time and I know collagen is formed over months.I still cant image that scars getting any better. I was hope for a bit more.

Does anyknow know if it can be normal that scars can look deeper at the first time? Would lift my mood a lil bit.
Im thinking about so many things at the moment.

Of course a can post pictures but want to waite a little longer.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 09/21/2022 4:29 pm

2 hours ago, Nele95 said:

Hi,

my swelling is completely gone on the right cheek, no lumps anymore. On the left side a have still little swelling.

But... I'm very sad and depressed. I looked today at my right cheek under overlightand scars have not improved, one or two look even worse/deeper, but I have checked that again. Its my first impression.

Of course a week isnt enough time and I know collagen is formed over months.I still cant image that scars getting any better. I was hope for a bit more.

Does anyknow know if it can be normal that scars can look deeper at the first time? Would lift my mood a lil bit.

I personally doubt the level of injury you sustained would heal in just a week so some distortion in level/volume might be expected. But to be honest much of the subcision depends on technique/doctor/experience and also the person's personal situation/scars/healing etc. There's no other viable procedure that would do any better for your type of scars really. Scars that are slightly atrophic cannot in my impression be sanded or lasered away as it's a volume issue. So you didn't make a mistake there.

To be blunt you may have been better off going a) slower (as in a few spots at a time) or with a better doctor, and/or b) maybe with some temporary filler like HA.

But to answer your question I'd give it time then reassess.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 09/22/2022 3:08 am

13 hours ago, Nele95 said:

Hi,

Yes they worsen before they start getting better. It just takes time. Also redness can increase depth

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/22/2022 8:52 am

18 hours ago, Nele95 said:

Hi,

hello! Nele, you're on the same timeline healing process as me and yes my scars were deeper after the scabs left and yes I felt down and was like damn it wasn't like this the last time why is it deeper now? and it was also very red for 3-4 days but I was also in the sun a lot... keep moisturizing and getting rest. I just checked my scars and I would say, one a scale of 1-10 ; I see 2pt improvements.. but overall since I started I would say 35%.