Notifications
Clear all

Persisting redness 5 months after acne scar treatment

MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 06/26/2022 6:00 pm

Hey guys,

Before more than 5 months I had acne scars treatment consisted of subcision + CO2 laser + filler all in one session. Few days after the treatment I spotted a red patch directly in the place where the doctor inserted the cannula. I thought that it will fade by time but it is still here even after 5 months. Can somebody give me an advice how can I get rid of this red patch on my face? Has somebody ever experienced this?

I also asked my doctor what is that and he told me that he doesn™t think that it was caused by the treatment and he didn™t care much about it.

Thank you!!

315927EE-E7E6-45C8-88AC-EE0995882574.jpeg

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/26/2022 8:40 pm

Well first of all it looks fantastic and most people have some red flushing here or there and it looks pretty normal to be blunt so you can pass it off to just rosacea or just some flushing. I have some redness now and then on my nose and cheeks. The good thing is you fit in way more and it looks like 80% better except for some slight shadow.

Now that said, it's unknown in general why it's red but it could be that you pushed blood vessels or things around or it just irritated something in general (like you poked something you're prone to) that's my guess. Blood vessels dilating or being more pronounced will create that. Or the laser you used irritated/created via poking, some anatomy like blood vessels which create that redness.

It may yet fade as something it does naturally but to be honest there are some lasers that help quiet pronounced blood vessels that seem to work too (like lasers that help prominent veins for example). Would give it at least a year to be sure it's permanent frankly. The skin takes a long time to fade stuff especially with extensive poking or lasers.

That's a good result gotta be honest. If I may ask do you mind sharing what filler you used?

MemberMember
(@mikeengelbert8)

Posted : 06/26/2022 9:27 pm

Who was your doctor?

MemberMember
(@tjdeare)

Posted : 06/27/2022 2:38 am

I just came here to say despite the redness, it's looking fantastic!

harmlessboy1441, Kay24, tommi282 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 06/27/2022 9:30 am

@harmlessboy1441 thank for your comment, I really appreciate it. I hope it will fade out by time, I will give it a year and I will see. The doctor used Radiesse filler, but this result is after 4 treatments (4x subcision, 3x filler and 1x laser). In that picture is my right side, despite the redness I am quite satisfied with the result. Here is also picture of my left, which is worse but at least not red:
3E850815-6BFC-4774-BF02-A1DA2DFC4698.jpeg.163860491dba4a89dfbeb6737a286316.jpeg

I™m taking a 6-12 months nap from treatments now.

@BoatShoe123 Dr. Emil Henningsen in Denmark - really good doctor I recommend him but he didn™t care about this red patch much but I understand that it is a side effect from treatments so I had to expected that. I will continue with additional treatments with him.

@masty thank you, hope you are doing well too!

Dontgiveupitsonlyscars, Masty, Ishayat and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@tjdeare)

Posted : 06/27/2022 9:42 am

8 minutes ago, tommi282 said:

@harmlessboy1441 thank for your comment, I really appreciate it. I hope it will fade out by time, I will give it a year and I will see. The doctor used Radiesse filler, but this result is after 4 treatments (4x subcision, 3x filler and 1x laser). In that picture is my right side, despite the redness I am quite satisfied with the result. Here is also picture of my left, which is worse but at least not red:
3E850815-6BFC-4774-BF02-A1DA2DFC4698.jpeg.163860491dba4a89dfbeb6737a286316.jpeg

I™m taking a 6-12 months nap from treatments now.

@BoatShoe123 Dr. Emil Henningsen in Denmark - really good doctor I recommend him but he didn™t care about this red patch much but I understand that it is a side effect from treatments so I had to expected that. I will continue with additional treatments with him.

@masty thank you, hope you are doing well too!

I just got home after having my subcision. I opted against having filler this time as I plan to have multiple subs done.

Do you notice the redness all of the time? Did Dr Henningsen say that the redness would fade? I hope you don't have any regrets because of the redness, you've achieved fantastic results!

May I ask how much Dr Henningsen charges for subcision? 

tommi282 liked
MemberMember
(@baylenbb)

Posted : 06/27/2022 11:02 am

You look great. If the redness bothers you, look into pico laser, excel laser, or a lightening agent such as hydroquinone. Traditionally, redness begins to fade between six months to a year depending on if a treatment is highly aggressive and your specific skins tolerance (sensitivity). Note that, any topical irritation could prolong redness so make sure you're aware of what is probably irritating your skin. In general, wear sunscreen in the sun to reduce skin sensitivity, especially when its red/pink.

tommi282 liked
MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/27/2022 3:08 pm

Yeah I mean subcision and/or filler could push a few things around too like blood vessels or just irritating the skin. Like I said if I got results like that I'd embrace the redness because it looks perfection. I don't even think it's that red before/after tbh. Whether the filler fades some of the results I don't know to be honest, but for now it looks fantastic. Clearly having a good doctor do subcision and/or filler can do some good results for atrophy or depressions of the right calibur.

Radiesse hmm that's interesting. Most doctors here push some juvederm crap that seems to fade pretty quickly but in the next 3 months I'm going to work on one spot subcision myself maybe I'll ask for radiesse.

Anyway, looks good, embrace it. All shadows practically gone. Texture great.

tommi282 and Masty liked
MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 06/27/2022 5:40 pm

@mastythank you, it is your first subcision? No, I don't regret it, I would continue with the treatment. The redness is sometimes less visible, I think it is better than before 3 months about 30%. It is more visible in bad light conditions. But I bought Vichy Dermablend (it is a make-up solution) and I use it occasionally on that red place, but it doesn't camouflage acne scars but it helps to cover the redness. I am quite sure that this redness is caused by laser because I had 3 subcision before without any color changes, so you don't need to be afraid of this. I paid about 800 for the subcision and filler together. I think Emil is a really good doctor, he also texted me a few times about how I am doing and asked me to send him pictures. But when I asked him about redness 2 times he just told me that he doesn't know what it is and he thinks that it is not caused by the treatment.

@Dontgiveupitsonlyscars thanks for your valuable tips, I would maybe give it a try for thathydroquinone looks good and if the redness will still be visible even after a few months, I would ask my doctor about treatment for this. I use benzoyl peroxide sometimes to prevent pimples, but I am avoiding the red place. But I would try to not use the BP for a while. I use SPF daily and moisturizer 2 times a day.

@harmlessboy1441I am not sure what caused the redness exactly, but I had 3 subcisions + fillers before without any problems with color. Then my doctor used a laser and the redness showed up. Anyway, I will give it time and I will try some creams usinghydroquinone as suggested and I will see.Thank you, I hope you will achieve great results without any side effects!! Good to talk with people about similar problems.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 06/27/2022 10:36 pm

Did dr emil use co2 or co2 fractional?

how old are your scars?

PCA skin pigment gel helped my redness.

how long did dr emil take to subcise your cheeks?

MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 06/28/2022 1:13 pm

14 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

Did dr emil use co2 or co2 fractional?

how old are your scars?

PCA skin pigment gel helped my redness.

how long did dr emil take to subcise your cheeks?

He used CO2 Fractional I think, but to be honest I am not sure now. My scars are 2,5 years old. That PCA skin gel looks good, but it is not available in Europe, but I will look for an alternative. Did you have similar redness as I do? The subcision took about 15 minutes

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/28/2022 8:22 pm

7 hours ago, tommi282 said:

He used CO2 Fractional I think, but to be honest I am not sure now. My scars are 2,5 years old. That PCA skin gel looks good, but it is not available in Europe, but I will look for an alternative. Did you have similar redness as I do? The subcision took about 15 minutes

Just a question, when you use radiesse did he say you should use it every xx months? Or is the subcision generally helping more than the filler where the filler is just sort of like optional at this point?

I only ask because I am trying to figure out what to do on one scar and so many doctors here suggest juvederm (+ subcision) but to be honest I don't want to play around with injections there every 6 months (maybe that's why they are pushing it over radiesse to maximize visits/vials).

So I know your scars are only 2.5 years old but did Emil tell you to get radiesse filler every so often or is he just doing mostly subcision in the future?

MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 06/30/2022 5:20 pm

On 6/29/2022 at 3:22 AM, harmlessboy1441 said:

Just a question, when you use radiesse did he say you should use it every xx months? Or is the subcision generally helping more than the filler where the filler is just sort of like optional at this point?

I only ask because I am trying to figure out what to do on one scar and so many doctors here suggest juvederm (+ subcision) but to be honest I don't want to play around with injections there every 6 months (maybe that's why they are pushing it over radiesse to maximize visits/vials).

So I know your scars are only 2.5 years old but did Emil tell you to get radiesse filler every so often or is he just doing mostly subcision in the future?

It looks like you have much more experience with this because I don't know what exactly is difference between Juvederm and other fillers, but Dr. Emil told me that I should return every 6 months or 1 year to maintain my skin. But it should be better every time because that filler should help collagen to grow.

I had one Taylor Liberator subcision without filler and 3 subcisions with filler, but 2 times a HA filler (I don't know exactly the brand) and 1 time this Radiesse. He always examines my skin under special light so he offers me the treatment which he thinks should be the most suitable for me and I trust him.

He also told me that subcision will not be required in the future but I should go with lasers and other similar treatments on the surface because my scars will not be so tethered anymore.

Fehheh77 liked
MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/30/2022 6:43 pm

1 hour ago, tommi282 said:

It looks like you have much more experience with this because I don't know what exactly is difference between Juvederm and other fillers, but Dr. Emil told me that I should return every 6 months or 1 year to maintain my skin. But it should be better every time because that filler should help collagen to grow.

I had one Taylor Liberator subcision without filler and 3 subcisions with filler, but 2 times a HA filler (I don't know exactly the brand) and 1 time this Radiesse. He always examines my skin under special light so he offers me the treatment which he thinks should be the most suitable for me and I trust him.

He also told me that subcision will not be required in the future but I should go with lasers and other similar treatments on the surface because my scars will not be so tethered anymore.

Juvederm basically says it lasts up to 12 months but many report it lasting like 1-6 months. Radiesse is a a bit longer term filler like up to 18 or 24 months I think.

I was just wondering mainly if the filler you've been getting reabsorbs quickly or if you notice some of your scars returning before your next filler basically or what it "healed" without the filler if you have any idea.

At some point though subcision has diminishing returns if it works well because you can't really heal beyond a certain level most likely.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/01/2022 3:38 am

On 6/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, tommi282 said:

If you had dots on your face, then it's fractional.

Yes i had persistent redness after fractional and that helped. but honestly hydroquinone or a pico laser would work too.

Did you hear popping noises when you had your subcision done?

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/01/2022 4:02 am

WAIT...so you had 4 subcisions in the span of 1 year??

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 07/01/2022 5:08 am

1 hour ago, dirigo39 said:

WAIT...so you had 4 subcisions in the span of 1 year??

You mean thats a lot? Dr. Emil suggests to do the next treatment after 3+ months.

MemberMember
(@tomasssilnygmail-com)

Posted : 07/01/2022 1:11 pm

9 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

If you had dots on your face, then it's fractional.

Yes i had persistent redness after fractional and that helped. but honestly hydroquinone or a pico laser would work too.

Did you hear popping noises when you had your subcision done?

Yes I had dots on my face. Hydroquinone is forbidden in the EU as I see. How long did you have that redness?

Yes I heard popping noises quite much. And Dr. Emil said that it is okay to do subcision every 3 months

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/01/2022 2:56 pm

1 hour ago, tommi282 said:

Yes I had dots on my face. Hydroquinone is forbidden in the EU as I see. How long did you have that redness?

Yes I heard popping noises quite much. And Dr. Emil said that it is okay to do subcision every 3 months

Hydroquinone is completely safe. Try picosure laser then, it'll work faster then hydroquinone actually. I had persistent reddness for several months.

9 hours ago, Fehheh77 said:

You mean thats a lot? Dr. Emil suggests to do the next treatment after 3+ months.

Maybe that's why its been successful. this forum was under the impression that it took a year to heal from subcisions. but maybe doing it often prevents retethering.

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 07/01/2022 6:05 pm

3 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

Maybe that's why its been successful. this forum was under the impression that it took a year to heal from subcisions. but maybe doing it often prevents retethering.

I am doing the same at Emils clinic. About every 10 weeks I travel to his clinic for treatments.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/01/2022 8:15 pm

2 hours ago, Fehheh77 said:

I am doing the same at Emils clinic. About every 10 weeks I travel to his clinic for treatments.

how's your progress so far?

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 07/01/2022 8:58 pm

40 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

how's your progress so far?

Good. I have got 30-50% improvement from one session (TL + RFmn). I planned another session for August. I guess I need more sessions of cannula subcision + filler and RFmn to the point when its mostly a texture problem. Then, I will to a full face full ablative laser to finish it.

MemberMember
(@dnladderup-net)

Posted : 07/02/2022 6:04 am

Why did dr Emil perform subcision on you after TL? Did you still have tethered scars after the Taylor liberator?

MemberMember
(@Fehheh77)

Posted : 07/02/2022 7:58 am

1 hour ago, Wij611 said:

Why did dr Emil perform subcision on you after TL? Did you still have tethered scars after the Taylor liberator?

Some parts he could not perform TL on because of safety reasons, so he only performs cannula subcision is those regions.