Notifications
Clear all

Review of the phenol peel (1+ year later)

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 06/19/2022 1:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been a viewer of this forum for many years now (when I was a teenager maybe 13,14?) and now I am thankful to be able to contribute back (late 20s).

Short background:
I had cystic acne as a kid and continued to have it through out my early-mid 20s. I finally have my acne under control but am left with probably one of the worst acne scars.
Ethnicity: Asian
Skin Type: Unsure but not pale, not brown. Maybe in between?

Past procedures:
May 2016: Ematrix (0% improvement)
Jan 2017: TCA Cross with some local doctor (scars definitely widened but less shallow (?))
Nov 2018: Trio with Rullan
Dec 2019: Trio with Rullan
March 2020: Trio with Rullan
Nov 2020: Trio with Rullan
End of April 2021: Phenol Peel with Rullan

Procedure Day 1:

• Rented an airbnb + hired a care taker recommended by Dr Rullan's office. 
  • Went in for color matching (makeup which I never ended up using).
  • 4 shots in the mouth to numb the face
  • Dr Rullan pumped the saline then performed subcision (cannula)
  • He then performed phenol cross on specific scars then applied a wide spread amount of phenol across my cheeks, forehead, temple. It stung around the eyes.
  • He also put the powder on the entire face.
  • The procedure felt extremely short (probably because of the meds).
  • Caretaker drove me back to the airbnb and I became more and more swollen by the hour.
  • Pain was not bad because of the meds

Procedure Day 2:

• Felt great the morning of the 2nd day (0 pain).
  • Eyes were almost completely shut because of how swollen it is and my vision were almost completely impaired.
  • Nurse hooked my up with some IV that help with the pain.
  • Dr Rullan + nurses cleaned off the powered mask and he started performing dermabrasion with a tongue depressor.
  • The pain was pretty bad until the nurse started the pain reliever from the thing that was hooked up.
  • I was bleeding throughout the dermabrasion.
  • (I think a 2nd layer of phenol was applied(?) but not entirely sure)
  • The powdered mask was applied again.
  • I took a picture of myself after the dermabrasion was finished and can still see my scars.
  • Care taker drove me home and pain was manageable but not pleasant. (felt like a very bad sunburn)

Day 3 (worst day):

• Wokeup with throbbing pain on my face at 4am. Took a pill and fell asleep.
  • Later woke up and it was still painful but not as bad.
  • Face felt itchy, burning sensation, and can feel my face pulsating.
  • Eyes are less swollen.

Day 4:

• 90% of the pain is gone
  • Drove home from San Diego to LA that night.

Day 7:

• Finally took mask off. Initial result looks good but I can still see all my scars. My face seems to be poreless (but pores later return days later).

First Month (May):

• Red as a tomato. I wore a oversize mask and a hat to cover most of my face.
  • Day by day, I can see my scars coming back in full force. I wasn't happy about this at all. (It became a lot better toward the end of the 2nd month.)

Second Month (June):

• Face was still red but not as bad.
  • Face was also a lot lighter (paler) compared to the neck.
  • I was able to see results toward the end of the month since the redness in the first month amplifies the scar. 

6th month (October):

• It wasn't until 6th month post procedure where I felt the redness is truly gone.

Cost:

I lived in LA during this time so thankfully I didn't have to fly. I drove back on the 4th night.

Prescription Drugs: $110
Airbnb near Chula Vista: $650 for Monday-Friday (4 nights) (I choose an airbnb because I didn't want to deal with hotel staffs)
Phenol Peel Procedure: $6000 (it is cheaper in 2021)
Care Taker: $1100 (350/night + $50 in food)
Reflective Visor: $20 (highly recommend so people won't stare)  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFZVVTN

Total:  $7880

Before and after pictures:

Left Side:

Base line (before any procedure other than Ematrix): Dec 2016

image.png.7efa15d8661d47b76180efc6a848e46b.png

(Nov 2020 before 5th trio vs June 2022)

image.png.6aed7209899bd3ac562f05f57900e2df.png

Harsher angle showing the rolling scars: (post-procedure Dec 2021)

image.png.ce1ec1007a9aafde0007062ca74e302f.png

Right Side:

(Nov 2020 vs June 2022)

image.png.a7c662ea20da9edd58578d891f87d430.png

Harsher angle showing it doesn't help much with rolling scars (March 2022):

image.png.fbdfcfcbf8b01cacde0703a616ab5d50.png

This was also taken on the same day/time/location (March 2022) showing that angles do matter:

image.png.bc909d5604a26c54174ebe418badb35d.png

Was it worth it?

For me, yes even though it didn't cure every and all scars. It made me a lot more confident in my skin and myself. It evaporated many of the icepick/box scars on my cheeks. Many of the smaller scars looks like large pores (which I'm okay with!). My skin looks smoother overall. I would never be able to capture the "smoothness" in the photos about if I never had the procedure.

Final Thoughts:

If you have wide spread facial scars (shallow box/icepick), phenol peel is definitely worth trying. (I haven't have fully ablative laser so I cannot comment on that procedure.)

If you have mostly rolling acne scars, phenol peel would probably not be worth it. Go with subcision + filler/suction method.

I consider acne scar to be a disease that affects mental health and I wish it would be covered under insurance in the US. Acne scaring procedure is not cheap and the amount of effort I have spent researching different procedures and reading scientific papers is probably in the hundreds. I spent a lot of time worrying about how I look in different angles and what people think about it. It is a disease that people without it would not understand. Something I wish I can tell my past teenage self is to get my acne under control (stop eating tons of carbs and sugar).

Also, you are your biggest critique. It may look bad to you, but other people may not find it as bad.

Masty, harmlessboy1441, FlakyForecast and 4 people liked
MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 06/19/2022 7:50 pm

5 hours ago, gynoscar said:

Hi everyone,

I've been a viewer of this forum for many years now (when I was a teenager maybe 13,14?) and now I am thankful to be able to contribute back (late 20s).

Short background:
I had cystic acne as a kid and continued to have it through out my early-mid 20s. I finally have my acne under control but am left with probably one of the worst acne scars.

Past procedures:
Jan 2017: TCA Cross with some local doctor

Procedure Day 1:

• He then performed phenol cross on specific scars then applied a wide spread amount of phenol across my cheeks, forehead, temple. It stung around the eyes.
  • Caretaker drove me back to the airbnb and I became more and more swollen by the hour.

Procedure Day 2:

• Eyes were almost completely shut because of how swollen it is and my vision were almost completely impaired.
  • Dr Rullan + nurses cleaned off the powered mask and he started performing dermabrasion with a tongue depressor.
  • The pain was pretty bad until the nurse started the pain reliever from the thing that was hooked up.
  • I took a picture of myself after the dermabrasion was finished and can still see my scars.
  • Care taker drove me home and pain was manageable but not pleasant. (felt like a very bad sunburn)

Day 3 (worst day):

• Eyes are less swollen.

Day 4:

Day 7:

• Finally took mask off. Initial result looks good but I can still see all my scars. My face seems to be poreless (but pores later return days later).

First Month (May):

• Day by day, I can see my scars coming back in full force. I wasn't happy about this at all. (It became a lot better toward the end of the 2nd month.)

Second Month (June):

• I was able to see results toward the end of the month since the redness in the first month amplifies the scar. 

6th month (October):

• It wasn't until 6th month post procedure where I felt the redness is truly gone.

Cost:

I lived in LA during this time so thankfully I didn't have to fly. I drove back on the 4th night.

Airbnb near Chula Vista: $650 for Monday-Friday (4 nights) (I choose an airbnb because I didn't want to deal with hotel staffs)
Reflective Visor: $20 (highly recommend so people won't stare)  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFZVVTN

Left Side:

Right Side:

(Nov 2020 vs June 2022)

This was also taken on the same day/time/location (March 2022) showing that angles do matter:

Was it worth it?

For me, yes even though it didn't cure every and all scars. It made me a lot more confident in my skin and myself. It evaporated many of the icepick/box scars on my cheeks. Many of the smaller scars looks like large pores (which I'm okay with!). My skin looks smoother overall. I would never be able to capture the "smoothness" in the photos about if I never had the procedure.

Final Thoughts:

If you have wide spread facial scars (shallow box/icepick), phenol peel is definitely worth trying. (I haven't have fully ablative laser so I cannot comment on that procedure.)

If you have mostly rolling acne scars, phenol peel would probably not be worth it. Go with subcision + filler/suction method.

I consider acne scar to be a disease that affects mental health and I wish it would be covered under insurance in the US. Acne scaring procedure is not cheap and the amount of effort I have spent researching different procedures and reading scientific papers is probably in the hundreds. I spent a lot of time worrying about how I look in different angles and what people think about it. It is a disease that people without it would not understand. Something I wish I can tell my past teenage self is to get my acne under control (stop eating tons of carbs and sugar).

Also, you are your biggest critique. It may look bad to you, but other people may not find it as bad.

Congratulations on your improvement and feeling confident in your skin. I can only imagine how nice that feels. I know it™s a place many if not all in this community hope to reach one day

Thank you very much for your post and for your contribution. Phenol peel experience posts are like gold to me these days abba.

The idea of shallow boxcars disappearing is also music to my ears 

I also appreciate the different photos you posted to highlight the difference lighting/angles can make 

can we also have some photos with outside/outdoor lighting just to see the difference?

thats crazy that you only stuck around for five days before you left.. did you do any oxygen facials post phenol?? 

would you ever consider a second phenol? 

You could see all your scars after day 2¦ it must have been full depth yea? How was that?

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 06/19/2022 11:20 pm

9 hours ago, gynoscar said:

Hi everyone,

Short background:

Past procedures:
Jan 2017: TCA Cross with some local doctor

Procedure Day 1:

Procedure Day 2:

Day 3 (worst day):

• Eyes are less swollen.

Day 4:

Day 7:

First Month (May):

Second Month (June):

6th month (October):

Cost:

Left Side:

Right Side:

(Nov 2020 vs June 2022)

Was it worth it?

Final Thoughts:

Very well written post. But in your case since you had very shallow edges in the first place it worked great. To be honest those are not icepick more like open pores/ scarred pores in before pictures. Just want to clear for people who will jump the ship. True icepick won™t fill up after phenol. You need few cross session to lift or excise them before phenol.

these are icepick scars:

B56C6D3C-FE44-4BB0-9F50-754B51793A30.jpeg

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 06/20/2022 1:25 am

6 hours ago, Catharsis2018 said:

can we also have some photos with outside/outdoor lighting just to see the difference?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of outdoor lightings. Every pic here was indoors. I might take a few outdoors in a couple of days.

thats crazy that you only stuck around for five days before you left.. did you do any oxygen facials post phenol??

I did not do any oxygen facials because I hated driving 4 hours round trip.

would you ever consider a second phenol?

I considered it but not any time in the next 1-2 years. I feel like I'm confident enough to go out and want to enjoy my time socializing with people. I don't think I can handle another 3-5 months staying in.

3 hours ago, getsmart121 said:

But in your case since you had very shallow edges in the first place

Could this possibly be from the 4-5 trio sessions I had? Just updated my left cheek with a photo from 2017. The 90% TCA procedure definitely made some of the scars wider.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 06/20/2022 2:38 am

You could see all your scars after day 2 it must have been full depth yea? How was that?

It was bad but I knew to just trust the process. The redness amplifies the scar depth.

MemberMember
(@flakyforecast)

Posted : 07/02/2022 5:19 pm

Good stuff, I'd be happy with the results of this procedure too if I were you.

Can you clarify one thing though? How many times did you have to follow up with your Dr after the initial treatment? Did you end up removing the bismuth mask yourself?

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 07/02/2022 6:54 pm

On 6/20/2022 at 2:38 AM, gynoscar said:

It was bad but I knew to just trust the process. The redness amplifies the scar depth.

So when did you start seeing those results after your phenol peel, doyou recall 6 months?

Lets also see you patient notes for phenol chemobrasion

Also what is your skin care regimen and any tablets you take

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 07/02/2022 7:21 pm

26 minutes ago, getsmart121 said:

So when did you start seeing those results after your phenol peel, doyou recall 6 months?

Also what is your skin care regimen and any tablets you take

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 07/02/2022 9:16 pm

On 6/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, gynoscar said:

Hi everyone,

Short background:

Past procedures:
Jan 2017: TCA Cross with some local doctor (scars definitely widened but less shallow (?))

Procedure Day 1:

Procedure Day 2:

Day 3 (worst day):

• Eyes are less swollen.

Day 4:

Day 7:

First Month (May):

Second Month (June):

6th month (October):

Cost:

Left Side:

Right Side:

(Nov 2020 vs June 2022)

Was it worth it?

Final Thoughts:

Damn bro great results and very well articulated. I love to see success stories in general because it lightens the mood and gives many others hope.

For the record, angles do matter they are everything because scars are not completely even. You can look from upwards or sideways or at a different angle and see a totally different scar. That's how scars work. They are uneven and the angles, lights, shadows make them extremely bad. Today for example I photographed various angles in pure sunlight. In some they look hideous in others they look 60% better. Truth is my scars are pretty shallow to begin with but are "incomplete" because after dermabrasion fixed the 80% level the rest/pores are just sitting lots of them basically and in different angles or lights they are highlighted.

Totally 100% agree on mental health. I talk to someone regularly and can't even begin to explain the intricacies. And while we are our worst judge, other people do view us poorly I only say this because I've received nasty reactions or looks before. But I would generally say we DOUBLE what others see because we are always looking at angles, mirrors, sun, shadow, this that, up, down, and it's basically like living in a mental hell. If there's one thing I can suggest to others as an important lesson, save your money because money is your only protection in general from society when things get bad. I don't mean don't do surgery, I mean skip the indulgent things and just save and life a modest life.

Seriously great results though. I am debating looking for something to finish off my scars with a good risk/reward ratio and I would consider David Lim, Rullan or even flying to see Emil or something. 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:38 AM, gynoscar said:

The redness amplifies the scar depth.

Yes. Redness will give the illusion of depth. That is something people should understand and a fantastic point too. If you're scars are still raw, red or hyperpigmented, it will look far more depthy than it is.

MemberMember
(@dnladderup-net)

Posted : 10/22/2022 11:52 pm

Have you tried sculptra?

MemberMember
(@sick_wit_it)

Posted : 10/23/2022 4:04 pm

L

On 6/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, gynoscar said:

Hi everyone,

Short background:

Past procedures:

Procedure Day 1:

Procedure Day 2:

Day 3 (worst day):

• Eyes are less swollen.

Day 4:

Day 7:

First Month (May):

Second Month (June):

6th month (October):

Cost:

Left Side:

Right Side:

(Nov 2020 vs June 2022)

Was it worth it?

Final Thoughts:

Salute to your progress and your improvements your final photo looks amazing bro like my jaw dropped . Do U have any idea why the phenol peel is so expensive ? 6k sounds insane esp for those that have to fly in, your so lucky you don™t live to far away . Also couldn™t have you done like a v beam laser to help with the redness or would it interfere with the process you think . Was staying in for all those months an absolute must ? Sounds like you went through a lot bro I™m happy for you man 

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 10/25/2022 11:19 pm

On 10/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Wij611 said:

Have you tried sculptra?

Yes. I've done Sculptra 2 or 3 times with Rullan.

On 10/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, No_hope_is_back said:

L

Salute to your progress and your improvements your final photo looks amazing bro like my jaw dropped . Do U have any idea why the phenol peel is so expensive ? 6k sounds insane esp for those that have to fly in, your so lucky you dont live to far away . Also couldnt have you done like a v beam laser to help with the redness or would it interfere with the process you think . Was staying in for all those months an absolute must ? Sounds like you went through a lot bro Im happy for you man

I think because not many doctors can do or have researched extensively on deep peels. I do remember reading a powerpoint where Rullan discussed the the huge profit margin of this procedure since phenol is cheap.

Staying in isn't a must. You can do regular actively after 10 days if you are okay with people staring or asking what happened to your face (because of the redness).

MemberMember
(@sick_wit_it)

Posted : 10/25/2022 11:43 pm

23 minutes ago, gynoscar said:

I think because not many doctors can do or have researched extensively on deep peels. I do remember reading a powerpoint where Rullan discussed the the huge profit margin of this procedure since phenol is cheap.

Staying in isn't a must. You can do regular actively after 10 days if you are okay with people staring or asking what happened to your face (because of the redness).

Ya but laser like v beam help to take away rednesss and also flushing . Did your face flush at all ? As in certain times you feel your face get more red then other times ? Or has your face remained red no matter what through your recovery . Have you had any added improvements now in the present

MemberMember
(@dnladderup-net)

Posted : 10/26/2022 2:28 am

3 hours ago, gynoscar said:

did it help with your rolling scars at all?

MemberMember
(@pinokyu)

Posted : 10/28/2022 3:55 pm

Kinda sick progress mate. Has it stayed like that since the procedure, or has it gotten better/worse?

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 10/28/2022 7:27 pm

3 hours ago, Pinokyu said:

Kinda sick progress mate. Has it stayed like that since the procedure, or has it gotten better/worse?

It stayed the same as my previous pictures. Looked more like large pores than scars which i don't mind as much.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:28 AM, Wij611 said:

did it help with your rolling scars at all?

Not really. It helped with crater like scars the most with sharp edges.

Posted : 10/29/2022 5:33 am

Your skin looks great! Great improvement from baseline. The rolling scars arent that bad in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@aj27)

Posted : 02/14/2023 2:58 pm

Hi Gynoscar ,

I am AJ , I had phenol with dr. Peter Rullan . I am of skin type V , brown skin (I am from India ) ..

My skin after the procedure ( I am currently around 6 months after procedure , got the procedure done in august 2022 ) after peel is very blotchy and the jawline is still hypopigmented .

How long did it take for you to regain your pigmentation back ? And how long did it take for the demarcation line fade away completely?

Posted : 02/16/2023 2:58 pm

Hi

I am not Gynoscar but I am also interested in the phenol peel and had a consultation on the procedure. I specifically asked Dr Rullan about the hypopigmentation and demarcation lines and he replied that it can take a year or longer for the line to disappear completely. I hope this helps. It is a slow process, but, hopefully, worth it in the end. This particular thread of Gynoscar and his results motivate me to get the procedure done.

May I ask you about your results/ improvement? When you are 6 months out of the procedure, it should be OK to compare before/after. What kind of scars did you have treated and how satisfied are you with the improvement?

Edit: Because of the demarcation line Dr Rullan also recommended wearing high SPF sunblock on the neck for all skin types (in order not to get sun tan, to make it a less vissible difference between the facial skin and the skin on the neck).

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by
MemberMember
(@comfortblanket)

Posted : 05/09/2023 1:29 am

Hi Gynoscar,

you did the community such great service with this report. Seriously! Very detailed. The tip about the visor was also something I never thought of! You gave me the courage to get the procedure. I have much worse scars in quantity. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and shallow scars all over my face. I'm amazed by your results and I hope I get similar. I know my confidence would skyrocket. This will really be life changing for me and you helped.

I have my initial appointment with the office on Thursday.

FOR ANYONE WHO SEES THIS IN THE FUTURE, I will write my own report (and link to this one since it's so helpful) to my post when I do go through the procedure. Thanks.

This post was modified 12 months ago 2 times by Comfortblanket
MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 06/25/2023 6:03 am

When is it OK to go back to work after a phenol peel? I don't mind redness...but what does the "mask" after the phenol peel look like?

This post was modified 10 months ago by dirigo39
MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 06/26/2023 12:35 pm

Posted by: @dirigo39

When is it OK to go back to work after a phenol peel? I don't mind redness...but what does the "mask" after the phenol peel look like?

@Wombatstaywoke has an album of the recovery with the mask: https://www.acne.org/forums/7-scar-treatments/388690-phenol-peel-update

you can be back at work the mask comes off if you dont mind the redness/swelling (8-10 days). You generally don't want to move your face that much (including talking) while the mask is on.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/05/2023 7:54 am

Posted by: @Gynoscar

@Wombatstaywoke has an album of the recovery with the mask: https://www.acne.org/forums/7-scar-treatments/388690-phenol-peel-update

you can be back at work the mask comes off if you dont mind the redness/swelling (8-10 days). You generally don't want to move your face that much (including talking) while the mask is on.

Why is it a 2 day process? What's happening the second day?

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/05/2023 7:55 am

This might be dumb but I'm thinking of going to Brazil for the phenol peel.

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 07/13/2023 12:28 am

Posted by: @Gynoscar

Why is it a 2 day process? What's happening the second day?

the mask gets taken off and dermabrasion on raw skin. the phenol is then reapplied.