Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JnJ23

question about when acne is cleared

lets say u have been doing the regimen for some months and after a while u get totally cleared. all your left is with some scars. would u still have to keep putting bp like u always have done? wouldnt u break out if u stopped using bp? i feel its like i would have to put bp on for the rest of my life if im cleared. when can u totally stop and just have to cleanse your face without the acne coming back? hopefully this makes sense, lol, im just sort of confused about this.

thnx

Well, a lot of times you grow out of it. So, you may have a problem with breakouts when you're young and have no choice but to go through every day putting on your benzoyl peroxide, et cetera ad infinitum. And the way it works is by killing bacteria. It doesn't really change much with regard to the condition of your skin. So, if you stop using it, chances are you'll break out again. Say you were having a problem since you were 15 years old, and you used it until you were say 25. If you happened to grow out of it during that time, then if you stop using it you may be perfectly fine. I would say if it's been a good amount of time, and you think you've possibly grown out of it, and you have been cleared up for a long time, try easing off it by doing it every other day. Still clear? Try doing it once a week. Then, at least if you start to break out a bit, you can know that you need to continue doing it. There's nothing worse than being clear, then going off the stuff for a while and breaking out horribly and feeling like you have to start all over again.

Hope that helps.