Find results in...

How to Defeat Acne

Beginner level :

Uses -

For mild to severe acne.

Needs -

At least 2 days at home.

Tools -

Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydrocortisone 1%, Antibiotic Ointment (Containing Polymyxin & Sulfate, Neomycin Sulfate, Bacitracin Zinc, Pramoxine HCL), isopropyl alcohol 70%, Salicylic Acid, Soap

Steps -

1)Take a shower, washing face with soap and water.

Methodology :

This is simply to dry the face as much as possible as well as removing large debris, and increasing the skin pH (1), which disturbs the bacterial flora on the face.

2) Wipe face with a liberal amount of isopropyl alcohol.

Methodology :

Isopropyl alcohol 70% will dry and disinfect the skin along with removing dead skin and a large portion of the stratum corneum (the first layer of skin on the face).

3) Clean face with salicylic acid.

Methodology :

Salicylic acid will loosen the skin and cause the stratum corneum to "swell, soften, macerate, and then desquamate,"(²) thereby increasing the permeability of the next solutions, and removing sebum.

4) Rub a small amount of hydrocortisone cream into face.

Methodology :

Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid which is known to "suppresses mitosis and increases synthesis of proteins that decrease inflammation and cause vasoconstriction.(3)" Specifically, hydrocortisone cream will decrease the redness common to acne and help prevent pus accumulations under the skin otherwise known as zits. It also works by constricting the blood vessles in the face, which will help prevent lymph cells from attacking the acne bacterium and causing over-inflammation.

5) Rub a liberal amount of benzoyl peroxide (<5%) into face.

Methodology :

BP is an antiseptic and oxidizing agent which creates an abundance of oxygen which kills the bacteria responsible for acne. A side effect of BP is dry skin which deprives p.acnes (acne causing bacteria) of a medium to survive on. Wait 30 minutes before applying the next step.

6) Completely cover face with antibiotic ointment.

Methodology :

An antibiotic ointment containing preformentioned antibiotics is best characterised as over-kill. This step will saturate the face which will allow the chemicals to transdermally move through the skin to irradicate all bacteria on the face, including normal flora. This step is necessary as it completely destroys p.acnes, which is a known to be resistant to antibiotics (including BP). An ointment will take longer to fade and dry, which requires the individual to be indoor's for a longer period of time.

This regimine should not be used for more then 4 days as many of the chemicals may cause toxicity issues. Step 6 should never be used more 2 days a month. Always consult a doctor before starting any new medications.

Advanced Level :

Uses -

For longstanding mild to severe acne.

Tools -

ketoconazole 2% cream (4), propecia, transdermal doxycycline matrix

(1)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9407174&dopt=Abstract

(²)Salicylic Acid - (Keratolytics) Cause cornified epithelium to swell, soften, macerate, and then desquamate.http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic396.htm

(3)hydrocortisone - (Corticosteroid's) Have anti-inflammatory properties and cause profound and varied metabolic effects. Also modify body's immune response to diverse stimuli.http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic396.htm

(4) The effect of ketoconazole on sebum secretion in patients suffering from acne and seborrhoea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Abstract

So... You copied this from where? You tried it? Sounds like a sure way to get a pretty severe irritation of the skin to me.

Are you a doctor, or do you just play one on TV?

One part of your post I am skeptical of is "It [hydrocortisone] also works by constricting the blood vessles in the face, which will help prevent lymph cells from attacking the acne bacterium and causing over-inflammation." It doesn't seem to me that it would be desirable to prevent lymph cells from attacking the acne bacterium. Even if it causes inflammation, that is Nature's way of eliminating the infection.

My opinion on benzoyl peroxide is that while it may be useful in the short term, it should not be used as a daily, long-term routine, because it can cause oxidative damage to skin cells. The underlying cause of the acne needs to be addressed, rather than just treating the symptoms. That underlying cause may be hormonal, dietary, lifestyle related, or all of those.

BP is the only product that has ever helped me, and I've been using it for 24 years.

Since the cause of my acne is unknown, I cannot imagine how I am supposed to use other means of solving acned skin. In addition, I would only get scars while trying to figure out other ways of trying to get rid of my acne. And there is no guarantee that other means, including dietary, aren't harmful, whether this be in regard to some sort of deprivation of certain foods or an addition of something that I'm not used to eating.

If the cause of my acne is heriditary, then my dye is cast. If it's dietary, it becomes extremely difficult to identify the culprit. If it's hormonal, again, what can I use to treat my acne that is not a bp topical but that I won't become immune to? I have been to several derms over different periods in my life, and they always gave me antibiotics (long term not recommended) and non-bp topicals, to no effect.

Just treating the symptoms is the best many people can do, even if it's not the perfect solution. In any case, using bp is not the only topical some people use to treat their symptoms. Some people use other topicals, and they seem happy with their skin. I guess I don't understand the argument. Is the fact that only symptoms are being treated, or the fact that bp is being used, that's the issue?

My only real concern with medicalman's recipe is the prolonged use of hydrocortisone. I thought you weren't supposed to use it for more than a few days, as per the package's directions.

What Causes Acne

Acne is caused by a number of factors which boil down to the pores being clogged with debris. Internally, sebaceous glands are stimulated to produce sebum, which allow bacteria and fungus to thrive on the skin. The bacteria and fungus alone cause only minor irritation and inflammation, however their end metabolites especially irritate the dermis, causing traditional acne. The methods to attack acne include 1) reducing the factors which cause the sebaceous glands to produce sebum (anti-androgenic i.e. propecia/ketoconazole), 2) reducing the amount of sebum produced (retinoid), 3) undermining the factors which induce inflammation (antibiotics i.e. Benzyl Peroxide). Ideally, an individual with acne would attack the syndrome from every angle; however most go about it from only one direction. Unfortunately, this only tells half of the story. Genetics also factor into the severity of acne by the production of epithelial cells of the skin. The faster the cells are produced, the more dead cells accumulate on the surface, and therefore the more likely they are to get clogged in the pores. This is why salicylic acid plays an important role in the above regimen. Furthermore, genetics also determine the size of the pore (virilization), with the larger pore being more prone to clogging than a smaller pore. The magnitude of virilization on the skin is determined by the amount of androgens in the body, which relys on countless feedback mechanisms regulated by the hypothalmus, among other things. The immune system itself can partly be blamed by the general response it gives to the existence of p.acnes on the dermis. Some individuals’ immune systems go berserk and unleash a flood of lymphocytes to the surface of the skin causing zits and even cysts full of puss. P.acnes itself is not a virulent pathogen, but is simply apart of the normal bacterial flora. Acne can therefore be viewed as an overreaction of the immune system, otherwise known as an allergy. Hydrocortisone (a vasoconstrictor), a natural chemical released by the adrenal glands plays somewhat of an antagonistic role to the large amount of histamine (vasodilator) being released on the skin. Hydrocortisone is also known to "suppresses mitosis [of the bacteria or fungus] and increases synthesis of proteins that decrease inflammation.(1)" The preformentioned regimen takes into account the many different varieties of treatments of acne, and scientifically forms a basis from all these directions.

(1) http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic396.htm

this will burn ur face off!!

But i Heard Isropyl Alcohol works but burns BADLY!! Try it if your really Desperate!!

4) Rub a small amount of hydrocortisone cream into face.

Methodology :

Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid which is known to "suppresses mitosis and increases synthesis of proteins that decrease inflammation and cause vasoconstriction.(3)" Specifically, hydrocortisone cream will decrease the redness common to acne and help prevent pus accumulations under the skin otherwise known as zits. It also works by constricting the blood vessles in the face, which will help prevent lymph cells from attacking the acne bacterium and causing over-inflammation.

I used Hydrocortisone for dry skin problems on my face. What did I get after using it for a year straight? Lots of Blackheads and a MASSIVE withdrawal after I cold-turkey'd out of it because my skin was addicted to it. My skin LITERALLY turned orange (and I'm not kidding). Hydrocortisone = BAD.

I'm freaking out on this post.. Is too much for skin to take. Using harsh treatment could make your acne worse. Man especially when you add 5% Benzoyl Peroxide on this treatment and other treatments like SA...I would die. I've tried it with Nature's Cure with Aloe. My skin was super red and flamming irritating...

I'm very expectical with this treatment. It's sounds too much.

The program outlined above is a bad program, if for no other reason than you cannot use it more than four days in a row. Acne is not athlete’s foot. You don’t develop acne by not washing and then get rid of it by cleansing and medicating for a short period. A method that “defeats acne� would have to cure it, or failing that, it would have to keep it suppressed while the treatment was used for long periods if time.

Also - and I qualify this by saying I am not a skin expert - this method kills nearly everything living on the surface of the subject’s skin. This cannot be a good thing, as micro organisms that protect our health live on our skin, not just p acnes.

Lastly, there is the issue of irritation, and I cannot believe that after using both salicylic acid and then isopropyl alcohol, simple hydrocortisone cream would be enough to repair the irritated skin. Irritation is a serious root cause of acne.

I appreciate that you took the time to assemble this “Treatment� and I laud you for trying to help, but the methods you advocate seem like a list of definitions drawn from a pharmaceutical reference book, and then assembled in what strikes you as a logical fashion. They do not seem at all proven or even practical to a person who, having acne for many years, has tried any number of anti microbial or anti bacteriologic treatments.

PS. If you washed your face with 100% Salicylic Acid, you would burn it off.

Theres a similar method thats easier, cheaper and causes less irritation! It's only 2 products for about $2 for both. Here it is:

[attachmentid=291]

+

[attachmentid=292]

There ya go. Good luck. rolleyes.gif

post-17487-1106193183_thumb.jpg

post-17487-1106193211_thumb.jpg

post-17487-1106193183_thumb.jpg

post-17487-1106193211_thumb.jpg

How to Defeat Acne

Beginner level :

Uses -

For mild to severe acne.

Needs -

At least 2 days at home.

Tools -

crude petroleum (gasoline), hydrocholric acid, whip, hunting knife, zippo lighter, lye

Steps -

1)Take a shower, scrub face.

Methodology :

This is simply to dry the face as much as possible as well as removing large debris, and increasing the skin pH (1), which disturbs the bacterial flora on the face.

2) Pour copius amounts of gasoline on face.

Methodology :

This is simply to prepare the face for the next step.

3) Light face on fire.

Methodology :

Gasoline will combust and burn continually, removing excess germs on face, as well as acne. Also, hair, skin, and flesh.

4) Rinse Gently.

Methodology :

Rise gasoline off face. But not too rough! Don't irritate the skin.

5) Rub a liberal amount of hydrocholric acid on face. Then, sprinkle lye carefully, avoiding getting it on clothes.

Methodology :

While the gasoline should have purged your face of all imperfections, this is just a fail-safe. The hydrochloric acid will gently melt away any acne or face that's left, and the lye... well, lye is what you make soap out of, and soap is good, so...

6) Whip yourself in the face. Then just... stab your eye.

Methodology :

Moisturizes.

This regimen only must be used once, and you're done. You'll never see another pimple on your face again.

Yes, I agree. I don't think anyone whose skin wasn't made of iron could ever use this. Rinsing my face with just plain water is about all the irritation I can take; at the very most I could use a cleanser. This is like 086506581274948051 products all at once; it would basically make someone's face look like an old catcher's mitt.

How to Defeat Acne

Beginner level :

Uses -

For mild to severe acne.

Needs -

At least 2 days at home.

Tools -

crude petroleum (gasoline), hydrocholric acid, whip, hunting knife, zippo lighter, lye

Steps -

1)Take a shower, scrub face.

Methodology :

2) Pour copius amounts of gasoline on face.

Methodology :

This is simply to prepare the face for the next step.

3) Light face on fire.

Methodology :

Gasoline will combust and burn continually, removing excess germs on face, as well as acne. Also, hair, skin, and flesh.

4) Rinse Gently.

Methodology :

Rise gasoline off face. But not too rough! Don't irritate the skin.

5) Rub a liberal amount of hydrocholric acid on face. Then, sprinkle lye carefully, avoiding getting it on clothes.

Methodology :

While the gasoline should have purged your face of all imperfections, this is just a fail-safe. The hydrochloric acid will gently melt away any acne or face that's left, and the lye... well, lye is what you make soap out of, and soap is good, so...

6) Whip yourself in the face. Then just... stab your eye.

Methodology :

Moisturizes.

This regimen only must be used once, and you're done. You'll never see another pimple on your face again.