Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirigo39

What should I do next? Nothing works.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

 

It's interesting you weren't able to find another doctor that would agree to give you another dermabrasion .

So most docs who actually do aggressive dermabrasion are gone now it's seems. 

It sorta appears that way but I'll be honest me and the other might've just had doctors more experienced or willing to gamble more or had perfect scars for it. I mean they went seriously deep or ablative on me and the bandages I described above are totally different than having an exposed face now.

I think doctors are choosing to gamble less for self interest and patient safety maybe but also it's far more lucrative to bill 5k for a machine that is just press and go no skill or talent involved machine does everything. I think that replaced ablative dermabrasion around 2010 and doctors lost track of ablative dermabrasion and that's just my guess. My doctor is retired 6 years now. won't take calls office closed etc.

I think now it's mostly closer to micro dermabrasion masquerading as the 2000s type. Unless you're sedated for 3 hours with bleeding cheeks for two days and redness for 2 months it's not the same as me.

For the record everyone in the medical field like derms we're shocked about this type of dermabrasion. They all say that's not a typical dermabrasion. So scientifically I come to the conclusion that we we're outliers or the art and degree was significantly different in 2000s. This does anger me a bit that others don't have access or can't easily ask for it if the situation warrants because like I said I felt I got 80% improvement on depth and width versus childhood me. So this sort of angers me that it can't be reproduced onto other cases easily.

Edited by harmlessboy1441
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand the risk with dermabrasion but for severe cases this should be allowed. They don’t have much to lose anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the common risks of dermabrasion other than hypopigmentation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Kay24 said:

What are the common risks of dermabrasion other than hypopigmentation?

My guess would be damage to layers underneath the top, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, or more scarring. Let me be clear my doctor who did the 80% improvement also "created" 2 scars even though they are shallow he said "I encountered something underneath so I had to stop" but I have this sort of super shallow oval scar because it "opened up" something underneath according to him, on my right side temple area. It's very shallow but wide and white. 

I mean my guess is that dermabrasion is riskier and is talent required both before and during. I bet doctors just focused on the money making lasers that a monkey could operate and it just does equal in every increment. I don't know what other answer there is now to doctors calling dermabrasion now to what microdermabrasion is basically, a quick sanding.

Then again maybe me and misscay are total outliers and our cases were bad so doctors just went nuts on us lol. Although some cases on this board were much worse than me even for sure. I just had like 100 icepicks not big gaps of atrophy like some suffers here. I tend to think in the early 2000s doctors were more willing to do that since it was one of the only things they offered for acne scars. 

I agree with getsmart, those with heavy scarring don't have much to lose. Even lasers can risk things. I wish doctors would wake up and get more aggressive with physical dermabrasion treatments. The kind where they bandage you for 7 days and scabs the size of pancakes form and force the bandages off on their own and you basically have a 2-12 month recovery.

Edited by harmlessboy1441
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 days post. Feels like all I got was a deep exfoliation. I'm already looking for my next dermabrasion. The doctor that did this one said id have to wait 10 months. :| 

There's one in FL that looks promising. Does a lot of skin cancer reconstruction and is in his 60s. Also does IV sedation 

 

PXL_20220607_002003923.jpg

Edited by dirigo39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

4 days post. Feels like all I got was a deep exfoliation. I'm already looking for my next dermabrasion. The doctor that did this one said id have to wait 10 months. :| 

There's one in FL that looks promising. Does a lot of skin cancer reconstruction and is in his 60s. Also does IV sedation 

 

PXL_20220607_002003923.jpg

This is temporary hypopigmentation. Also slow down you have to give it some time to heal. When the redness goes away that is when you can say your skin have recovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, getsmart121 said:

This is temporary hypopigmentation. Also slow down you have to give it some time to heal. When the redness goes away that is when you can say your skin have recovered.

 

50% of my skin color is already returning. I'm confused at the dr's instructions. He said there would be bleeding and swelling (there were none), I didn't need any pain meds, I can tell my skin color will return in less than a month. I wonder if he didn't go as deep as other patients.

He said as a disclaimer that hyperpigmentation sometimes can't be avoided. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

 

50% of my skin color is already returning. I'm confused at the dr's instructions. He said there would be bleeding and swelling (there were none), I didn't need any pain meds, I can tell my skin color will return in less than a month. I wonder if he didn't go as deep as other patients.

He said as a disclaimer that hyperpigmentation sometimes can't be avoided. 

Everyone reacts differently but I guess he prepared you for the worse but let’s see. A good example is when we were small we would play outside and while playing outside we would accidentally fall and our certain area of our leg gets peeled off due to rough sand or road. The are would look extremely pink like dermabrasion but starts producing pigment down the road. Maybe your skin is recovering faster.

Edited by getsmart121
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's only been 5 days post dermabrasion and I've only got a little pinkness left. Don't want to be pessimistic but what a waste. Had I known this, I would have asked him to go deeper. 

Well now, I know what to ask the next dr. 

Seeing as how fast I healed, maybe I only I have to wait 5 months for my next dermabrasion??

@harmlessboy1441 did your Dr do your temples and nose also?

 

PXL_20220609_051602314.jpg.2adad503ff2f826a1692d90d6763892a.jpg

Edited by dirigo39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

It's only been 5 days post dermabrasion and I've only got a little pinkness left. Don't want to be pessimistic but what a waste. Had I known this, I would have asked him to go deeper. 

Well now, I know what to ask the next dr. 

Seeing as how fast I healed, maybe I only I have to wait 5 months for my next dermabrasion??

@harmlessboy1441 did your Dr do your temples and nose also?

 

PXL_20220609_051602314.jpg.2adad503ff2f826a1692d90d6763892a.jpg

Any thoughts on this doctor? https://clevelandcosmeticsurgery.com/dermabrasion-skin-texture/
I think his name is Nicholas C. Diamantis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, researchresearch said:

Any thoughts on this doctor? https://clevelandcosmeticsurgery.com/dermabrasion-skin-texture/
I think his name is Nicholas C. Diamantis

 A lot of their websites aren't written by them. The biggest key here is to ask how long is the recovery. They should be saying that you'd be pink for several months, that's how you know they're doing it aggressively like the 2 users on here. 

On this website it's says recovery is only 3-4 days so... 

Ask them if that photo is even their patient. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

 A lot of their websites aren't written by them. The biggest key here is to ask how long is the recovery. They should be saying that you'd be pink for several months, that's how you know they're doing it aggressively like the 2 users on here. 

On this website it's says recovery is only 3-4 days so... 

Ask them if that photo is even their patient. 

I see that now it says "This procedure requires 3-4 days of recovery." I guess it depends what they mean by "recovery" in this sense. Just wondering because I might do a consultation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, researchresearch said:

I see that now it says "This procedure requires 3-4 days of recovery." I guess it depends what they mean by "recovery" in this sense. Just wondering because I might do a consultation

 

I want a Dr that's already comfortable doing it aggressively. I don't want to convince him to go out his comfort zone of what he's use to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

 

I want a Dr that's already comfortable doing it aggressively. I don't want to convince him to go out his comfort zone of what he's use to. 

I'm saying maybe they mean "recovery" as in you can't leave your house at all because youll be bleeding. it doesn't make sense even a very light dermabrasion would take 4 days for full recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

 

I want a Dr that's already comfortable doing it aggressively. I don't want to convince him to go out his comfort zone of what he's use to. 

That's the trick and it may only be safe for certain scarring or people honestly aggressive dermabrasion on the degree I got might've been an outlier or a gamble. 

Any doctor you talk to about it tell them I had bandages taped on both cheeks and bled for around 48 hours. Both cheeks had scabs the size of the entire area. The scabs falling off then removed the bandages over time. I was red for 2 months and pink for 7 to 9 months. I can't make it any clearer than that but that was the exact outcome of mine. Whether my doctor did my middle layer I have no clue.

 

He did my temple slightly but stopped when it opened up something and I have a very shallow oval scar there.from the dermabrasion. Same with forehead from the dermabrasion. Only cheeks showed dramatic improvement of like 80% near instantly like when my scabs fell off the improvement was instant meaning the healing occured solely or mostly under those scabs and not while it was red or pink really.

Edited by harmlessboy1441
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, researchresearch said:

I see that now it says "This procedure requires 3-4 days of recovery." I guess it depends what they mean by "recovery" in this sense. Just wondering because I might do a consultation

Will you update us? I'm in the Cleveland area and looking to do dermabrasion as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Kay24 said:

Will you update us? I'm in the Cleveland area and looking to do dermabrasion as well.

I have another subcision coming up so I won't be able to get dermbrasion for a bit. Actually can you do a consultation with him and see what he says? I wish I was in the cleveland area if I end up going with this doctor eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, researchresearch said:

I have another subcision coming up so I won't be able to get dermbrasion for a bit. Actually can you do a consultation with him and see what he says? I wish I was in the cleveland area if I end up going with this doctor eventually.

I'm actually having trouble finding a good dermabrasion doctor around here. If you see anything hopeful let me know.

I won't be scheduling until early 2023 due to finances. January/february for the consultation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 day post

The 2 people in Cleveland: try calling the clinic where they train residents. Plastic surgery Department 

 

PXL_20220609_161503366.MP.jpg

Edited by dirigo39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dirigo39 said:

6 day post

The 2 people in Cleveland: try calling the clinic where they train residents. Plastic surgery Department 

 

PXL_20220609_161503366.MP.jpg

Can you notice any improvement at all? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Can you notice any improvement at all? 

Too early to tell. 

I'll be getting another vial of sculptra in 2 months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, getsmart121 said:

You are healing quickly. Or that he didn’t go deep.

 

Asked the Dr this question today. He said this is the same depth he gives all skin types. He stops when he sees blood. So this guy doesn't go deep general. 

I asked him can I repeat this sooner, he said in 6 months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

 

Asked the Dr this question today. He said this is the same depth he gives all skin types. He stops when he sees blood. So this guy doesn't go deep general. 

I asked him can I repeat this sooner, he said in 6 months. 

Then he's doing more of a peel than a dermabrasion if he stops when he sees blood. I bled for 2 days straight give or take. True there's risks and it's not all positive texture-wise, but I doubt you'll get much benefit without higher risk taking. I mean it's easy to be an armchair quarterback because none of us know the intricacies or specific risks of deep dermabrasion.

I can't make those decisions because it might depend on skin type or person and scars though, but realistically dermabrasion requires much more aggression to see results. No pain no gain, no risk no reward I think.

If you want my opinion I think the newer doctors don't do it like the olders did. I think they all got risk shy, they all got accustomed to lasers and pushing buttons and self preservation when it comes to risk. Don't get me wrong I'd hate to be that doctor that gave a patient permanent hyperpigmentation or permanent extra scarring either, it's a VERY hard balance to make let's be honest. I don't think it means they are bad doctors I just think it's half not wanting to make it worse, half not being as experience as the old doctors.

Edited by harmlessboy1441
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Then he's doing more of a peel than a dermabrasion if he stops when he sees blood. I bled for 2 days straight give or take. True there's risks and it's not all positive texture-wise, but I doubt you'll get much benefit without higher risk taking. I mean it's easy to be an armchair quarterback because none of us know the intricacies or specific risks of deep dermabrasion.

I can't make those decisions because it might depend on skin type or person and scars though, but realistically dermabrasion requires much more aggression to see results. No pain no gain, no risk no reward I think.

If you want my opinion I think the newer doctors don't do it like the olders did. I think they all got risk shy, they all got accustomed to lasers and pushing buttons and self preservation when it comes to risk. Don't get me wrong I'd hate to be that doctor that gave a patient permanent hyperpigmentation or permanent extra scarring either, it's a VERY hard balance to make let's be honest. I don't think it means they are bad doctors I just think it's half not wanting to make it worse, half not being as experience as the old doctors.

 

Actually the dermatologist that did my sculptra 2 years ago bought up that she did dermabrasion. She said she did the aggressive version that requires putting the patient to sleep. She wanted 10k I think so that's a no. She had skin similar to missmacay. I'll ask her a few more questions when I see her for my sculptra. 

There's got to be a few left somewhere. It's not popular so it's not advertised either. I'm calling around and just asking point blank if they front desk can ask their surgeon is he/she comfortable doing aggressive dermabrasion.

Edited by dirigo39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×