Notifications
Clear all

Journey 2018-?

Posted : 01/05/2022 12:13 am

Hi all, 

I™ve lurked here for a long time but never posted. Basically, I had severe cystic acne for years and stopped going to dermatologists as they never helped me, ultimately prolonging my acne and scarring. I finally went on accutane and cleared my acne about 90%. I still breakout but nothing like before. 

of course this led to widespread acne scarring over most of my cheeks and some of my temples.

Around 2018, I finally decided to start treatments as I was working and had my own money. I wanted to try manual methods first as advised on this forum. 

I have done, roughly,

4-5 subcisions without filler ($500) with Dr. Rahimi 2018-2020

1 subcision with filler-juvederm ultra xc 3 vials- ($2500) Dr. Rahimi October 2021 10/28/21

1 Venus viva ($1500) Dr. Rahimi 2019 

2 infini rf ($900, $1200) BH Skin.  2020 And 4/2021

TCA Cross with Dr. Ben Benham ($950) 12/7/21 

At home TCA Cross with 75% 12/21/21

Throughout this time period and even before, I have done at home 25% TCA peels and glycolic peels. These have kept me relatively free of dark spots but have not really helped my scarring.

I don™t have too many pictures because I hated to look at myself. I don™t have exact dates for my earlier treatments. 

6A2644A0-61AE-4E8F-A60C-839DBCBD0347.jpeg.308c0b1a39d9e0c1c765f8f3974298d5.jpegB3D7C4EA-64C2-4FD9-8A75-8DAC6909CE11.jpeg.865588c542337f4b27bb18c4a248c6c9.jpeg

above is before any treatments other than 25% TCA at home peels 

15152379-B3A9-40D9-A84E-D46B243B1957.jpeg.99d15d7bbf12d0f03450ebbd4060748e.jpeg2B902760-D5B9-48A5-9E1D-33738EFB2DF5.jpeg.c6328c15e9d3696163a4a951752906db.jpeg

not much improvement to my eyes. Before any tca cross 

0A6D872A-7137-4A1C-A670-3F45AEDAAA1F.jpeg.e5ae85e68162ff6678034acce9700fba.jpegEC35CF1E-17CF-405B-A296-D3B397F76438.jpeg.29c91c17ed41bc50d0852a5edcbbad9b.jpeg

Three weeks after 80% TCA Cross with Dr. Benham

7B4B522C-0C5F-4C31-8B73-663353393B3D.jpeg.9422e6ca8cad2ff0df761e97776b57a5.jpegC6EF7057-ACD9-4C39-B102-726733554118.jpeg.1e33746d196a2383785b804f8c1c8168.jpeg

9 days after at home 75% TCA Cross.  

at this point, I feel like I™ve obsessed so much over them, I can™t objectively speak on improvement or lack thereof. 

please let me know what you guys think. 

I have a virtual appointment next week with the patient coordinator for Dr. Rullan. I think I need a subcision and phenol cross from a true professional. 

I am also thinking about going with Dr. Mark Taylor in Utah so he can sand down the edges with laser  

that™s all for now. Thanks. 

Sorry, last two pics are 1/4/22. I keep forgetting. Also in those last two pics I am peeling on the outer sides of my face after TCA peel. 

MemberMember
(@gynoscar)

Posted : 01/06/2022 1:47 am

if you have the money and can get a phenol peel from dr rullan, i think it will make a big difference at least for the scars that aren't deep.

Posted : 01/06/2022 8:55 pm

Im definitely considering it. I will see what they say at my appointment next week. If he says we need to raise the scars more then Im willing to do some more treatments before the phenol peel. Thanks for your input. Ill post again after my appointment next week.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/07/2022 1:08 pm

If dr rullan says you need some sessions to remove the edges of the a scars. Consider going to drTaylor for removing the edges on the scars. Few sessions. Dr rullana phenol cross is very slow in removing edges maybe you can 1 to 2 sessions and see with him. If it works you can then go for phenol peel. If you want to go aggressive then go to de Taylor and get the edges smoothed out.And the go for phenol peel 3 to 6 months after laser. He will probably also do fractional laser which I think helped for all scar smothning but could cause dot texture.

Posted : 01/07/2022 7:10 pm

Thanks getsmart21. I called Dr. Taylors office and they said for each area they are charging $500. I will try to get a virtual consult with him next week as well, which is $150 but will go towards the treatment. Im pretty sure I will go with him but Im interested to see what he says regarding treatment with my skin tone.

I am excited to be moving forward.
Thanks everyone.

MemberMember
(@progression)

Posted : 01/07/2022 10:14 pm

Hi @Sam456Was the $500 for knocking down walls of scars with ebrium, subcision using liberator or both? I could call but I thought I would ask so others could know as well. Thanks

Posted : 01/07/2022 11:35 pm

1 hour ago, Progression said:

Hi @Sam456Was the $500 for knocking down walls of scars with ebrium, subcision using liberator or both? I could call but I thought I would ask so others could know as well. Thanks

So when I called, I let them know it was for acne scarring treatment. They didnt really wanna tell me the price but I asked them to ballpark it for me, for the erbium laser. They put me on hold and then said it was about $500 per area. I didnt specify that it was for the walls of the scars and didnt ask about the subcision.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 01/12/2022 9:31 pm

Alright so today I had my appointment with Dr. Rullans patient coordinator. She recommended the phenol peel for me as I have so many widespread scars. She said she would run it by Dr. Rullan first and see what he said but that that was the most likely courseof action. She said that it took the place of three Trios, which I have read here before, and that it would give me 40-50% improvement.The price is now 6,500.

I mentioned I was concerned about hypopigmentation and she kinda glossed over that. She did say they had just done it on a patient with skin type 5 with no adverse reactions so theres that.

I didnt really like the attitude of the coordinator. She doesnt seem too knowledgeable to me and I wish I could have spoken directly to Dr. Rullan. Otherwise, I do agree with her about needing the phenol peel.

However, I do think I need to raise and improve the scars before I do the peel.
She also said I needed about two weeks off from work which is impossible now due to short staffing due to Covid. I could possible get away with a week for laser with Dr. Taylor

I contacted Dr. Taylors office and paid the $150 for the consultation. You have to pay the 150 and then they give you an email to which Dr. Taylor or his colleague will respond with the best treatment course within the week.

Ill do that today and hopefully hear back soon from him.
Let me know what you guys think.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/12/2022 10:37 pm

1 hour ago, Sam456 said:

Alright so today I had my appointment with Dr. Rullans patient coordinator. She recommended the phenol peel for me as I have so many widespread scars. She said she would run it by Dr. Rullan first and see what he said but that that was the most likely courseof action. She said that it took the place of three Trios, which I have read here before, and that it would give me 40-50% improvement.The price is now 6,500.

I mentioned I was concerned about hypopigmentation and she kinda glossed over that. She did say they had just done it on a patient with skin type 5 with no adverse reactions so theres that.

I didnt really like the attitude of the coordinator. She doesnt seem too knowledgeable to me and I wish I could have spoken directly to Dr. Rullan. Otherwise, I do agree with her about needing the phenol peel.

However, I do think I need to raise and improve the scars before I do the peel.
She also said I needed about two weeks off from work which is impossible now due to short staffing due to Covid. I could possible get away with a week for laser with Dr. Taylor

I contacted Dr. Taylors office and paid the $150 for the consultation. You have to pay the 150 and then they give you an email to which Dr. Taylor or his colleague will respond with the best treatment course within the week.

Ill do that today and hopefully hear back soon from him.
Let me know what you guys think.

My suggestion is fractional will help all scars but could worsen texture as In give dot appearance but it will surely help the scars to soften. You can see what he says I personally like the full ablative mode and not the fractional mode. Maybe you can ask him do full ablative on the cheeks because the scarring is widespread if he thinks it is safer or not.

this dr did 2 full ablative co2 laser and 1 subcision and carboxy treatment interval was 3 month. The reason why dr Taylor approach works for boxcars is because is he uses full ablative mode and not fractional mode. And he keeps going over the boxcar edge to make as smoother as possible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWOhgcggOIS/?utm_medium=copy_link

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/14/2022 1:25 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYFbs6ALCi3/?utm_medium=copy_link

this person has very similiar scar like yours. Davin lim used co2 laser to sand the edges of the scar.

Posted : 01/15/2022 2:09 pm

I really like the results of that second link. Thank you for your help getsmart121. Still waiting to hear back from Dr. Taylor. I will wait to do phenol peel from Dr. Rullan until the endas I know the lasers will mess up my texture.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/16/2022 2:44 am

12 hours ago, Sam456 said:

I really like the results of that second link. Thank you for your help getsmart121. Still waiting to hear back from Dr. Taylor. I will wait to do phenol peel from Dr. Rullan until the endas I know the lasers will mess up my texture.

Yes that is a smart move. Right now focus should be to improving scars, there will be collateral damage which we can take care with big guns such as phenol chemobrasion later. All the best.

Posted : 01/26/2022 1:58 am

Hi all,

just wanted to give a quick update. I am still waiting to hear back from Dr. Taylor as he, unfortunately for me, is on vacation. His office said I should hear back by the end of this week. Fingers crossed.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/26/2022 6:27 am

Did you find anyone using high power co2 for boxcar edges. Maybe ask dr Taylor if he does co2 for edges. I only know he does full ablative erbium laser.

Posted : 01/26/2022 7:03 pm

I definitely will ask him. I was thinking about Dr. Benham in Santa Monica as Ive been there before but I dont think he would do a good job. He only charges 2500 for the dot fractional laser for full face so maybe Ill try him out. I want to see what Dr. Taylor says first

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/27/2022 1:53 am

6 hours ago, Sam456 said:

I definitely will ask him. I was thinking about Dr. Benham in Santa Monica as Ive been there before but I dont think he would do a good job. He only charges 2500 for the dot fractional laser for full face so maybe Ill try him out. I want to see what Dr. Taylor says first

I think dr taylor is better with lasers since his specialty is on lasers excision and subcision where he invented taylor liberator also has published studies on acne scars. Dr Taylor does full ablative and fractional in the same session. But I dont think fractional is good for texture.

also here is a video of dr h consult why other modalities dont give dramatic results

https://www.instagram.com/drhconsult/tv/CUicoqPgdeO/?utm_medium=copy_link

Posted : 01/30/2022 8:51 pm

Alright so quick update. Dr .Taylors assistant called me and gave me the plan. They want to do a 20% TCA peel, fraxel to full face, ablative laser to certain areas and subcision.

Total price for this is around 4300. However, its required that I stay there for a full 7 days so they can check on the progress and healing.

That complicates things for me as I would have to pay for a hotel, flight and have a family member there for me. however, theysaid people who have had this had around 50% improvement.

I have also scheduled a consult at a medspa that has the CORE laser. As I know Dr. Lim uses this laser for acnescars, I would like to see what they say. If the price is not too bad, I think I will do this laser first.

Im a little conflicted because I know Dr. Taylor is an expert but the logistics make it difficult for me. This medspa is not too far from me and Ive heard good things about this laser. I will at least see what they say and go from there.

I finished another round of TCA cross so will post updated pics in around a week.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 01/31/2022 12:10 am

3 hours ago, Sam456 said:

Alright so quick update. Dr .Taylors assistant called me and gave me the plan. They want to do a 20% TCA peel, fraxel to full face, ablative laser to certain areas and subcision.

Total price for this is around 4300. However, its required that I stay there for a full 7 days so they can check on the progress and healing.

That complicates things for me as I would have to pay for a hotel, flight and have a family member there for me. however, theysaid people who have had this had around 50% improvement.

I have also scheduled a consult at a medspa that has the CORE laser. As I know Dr. Lim uses this laser for acnescars, I would like to see what they say. If the price is not too bad, I think I will do this laser first.

Im a little conflicted because I know Dr. Taylor is an expert but the logistics make it difficult for me. This medspa is not too far from me and Ive heard good things about this laser. I will at least see what they say and go from there.

I finished another round of TCA cross so will post updated pics in around a week.

Well they only see the first day and the second day and then 7 days later at the most you can stay till 2 days thats the safest approach. I think more like they want to take your before and after pictures. Lol but jokes aside not sure why is he suggesting subcision you already had many done. Maybe he believes the tethering is still there ?

did you mention him that you did Subcison. Also does your medspa dofull ablative mode for the scar edges. They need to flatten the scars edges. The laser technique is equally important. Since we have to target the edges of the scars.

if it is cheaper then do it locally. Basically the tca is gimmick wont do much for scarring, only thing good for the scars are laser and full ablation of scar edges. Not sure about Subcison for your scars.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 01/31/2022 4:45 pm

Yep I think it's possible subcisions widen the scars. :/

Posted : 02/01/2022 1:45 am

Hmm.  Sad to hear about TCA not being good, i like to do it cuz it makes me feel like I am doing something at least :(  

I have a consult this Friday with the medspa with the CORE laser. 

I™m thinking about whether or not I should get a vial of Sculptra injected before the laser gets done, as I™ve seen SiriusLee recommend. Please keep in mind I™ve had three vials of juvederm injected late last year and naturally have a chubby face.  I know the laser will get rid of the fillers though so maybe it will balance out like that?  

We will see. Hopefully this laser turns out good, don™t really have many options left after this. 

However , I do feel that although I have many widespread scars, they are pretty shallow. Hopefully that will count in my favor as far as treatment goes. 

This is definitely a long usually disappointing road. Oh well, we have to try right?

thanks guys. 

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 02/02/2022 1:21 pm

On 2/1/2022 at 1:45 AM, Sam456 said:

Hmm.  Sad to hear about TCA not being good, i like to do it cuz it makes me feel like I am doing something at least :(  

I have a consult this Friday with the medspa with the CORE laser. 

I™m thinking about whether or not I should get a vial of Sculptra injected before the laser gets done, as I™ve seen SiriusLee recommend. Please keep in mind I™ve had three vials of juvederm injected late last year and naturally have a chubby face.  I know the laser will get rid of the fillers though so maybe it will balance out like that?  

We will see. Hopefully this laser turns out good, don™t really have many options left after this. 

However , I do feel that although I have many widespread scars, they are pretty shallow. Hopefully that will count in my favor as far as treatment goes. 

This is definitely a long usually disappointing road. Oh well, we have to try right?

thanks guys. 

Did the juvederm help at all?

Posted : 02/03/2022 3:17 pm

On 2/2/2022 at 10:21 AM, dirigo39 said:

Did the juvederm help at all?

I feel like it did but nowhere near as much as I was expecting tbh. I thought it would be instant dramatic improvement, scars gone. I would say they improved maybe 20%? My family commented on the improvement so it was definitely noticeable.

i really thought it would be more. I did read some studies that said that it improved collagen production long term though so Im glad for that at least.

They moved my laser consult to today so I will update when I get home.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 02/03/2022 5:49 pm

2 hours ago, Sam456 said:

I feel like it did but nowhere near as much as I was expecting tbh. I thought it would be instant dramatic improvement, scars gone. I would say they improved maybe 20%? My family commented on the improvement so it was definitely noticeable.

i really thought it would be more. I did read some studies that said that it improved collagen production long term though so Im glad for that at least.

His much did your pay for a vial of juvederm? And was there injector the doctor or nurse?

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 02/03/2022 6:02 pm

2 hours ago, Sam456 said:

Fillers only work when the angle of the scar edge is more flatter rather than 90 degree edge. That is why fillers are done for rolling scar where the edge of the scar is rolling.

Posted : 02/03/2022 7:21 pm

I paid around 650 per vial if I remember correctly. It was with Dr. Rahimi in Beverly Hills. I think someone else on here said they have gotten fillers with Dr Benham in Santa Monica and he did a good job. If/ when I get more fillers, I will go see him instead.

So disappointing news. I went to the medspa and basically they said they would not do the CORE laser on me. They absolutely would not change their minds. They said they might consider it after I did three Morpheus rf treatments with them. she kept talking about how it was dangerous with my skin tone even though I know other Drs including Dr. Lim use it on dark skin tones.Such a waste of my time and money.

on the bright side, I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Taylor for the beginning of March. Ill make it work with my schedule because I really need to improve my skin. I feel like life is passing me by. They make me so self conscious and this pandemic seems to be winding down and I dont know if I can go back to showing my bare skin to everyone and having them stare.

I did purchase 4% hydroquinone cream so I will pretreat with that for a couple weeks before my procedure.

well see guys.