Post-cortisone shot...

Notifications
Clear all

Post-cortisone shot dent in forehead

MemberMember
(@rachel-servais)

Posted : 12/12/2021 9:52 pm

A few months ago I had a cystic breakout in the center of my forehead and after a week or so of trying to resolve it on my own, I saw a dermatologist and received a cortisone injection. This was my first shot. The pimple was reduced in a couple of days and it seemed to be healing well. 3 weeks later I noticed a vertical dent/line in the center of my forehead. There is a noticeable divot from where the pimple likely was, but it™s almost as if the dent moved down the center of my forehead.

It is INCREDIBLY noticeable, and it has been 2 months since it showed up. I have had 3 saline injections so far at the dermatologist but haven™t noticed a change. I am completely mortified by this, nothing covers it up and it is a dark line with a noticeable indent in the center of my forehead.

Has anyone else experienced this? I™m so stressed and worried this is permanent. It is obviously worse in certain lighting, and it is quite significant in the attached picture (plus it™s a close up).

I would appreciate any advice anyone has, any success stories of timing, etc. the derm that I saw thinks it will resolve eventually, and a friend who is a derm thinks it may take 6-12 months. I just cannot believe this is happening! Please be kind in your comments.

EAFC1AB1-B6BC-4FD0-97C9-D5012BF8F55E.jpeg

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 12/15/2021 11:40 am

Cortisone shots can cause atrophy, but from everything I have read, the atrophy is temporary and resolves itself. There's a small amount of research that shows that tretinoin might help get your skin back to normal a bit faster.

Keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 12/20/2021 9:15 pm

I have this exact same thing right now, too! I got a cortisone shot near my hairline for hair loss ¦ then a dent popped up a few weeks later at the top of my head exactly where the cortisone shot was injected, then a vertical line that went from the dent all the way down my forehead. My dermatologist also told me it could take up to 6 months to resolve itself. She told me she used such a small dose of cortisone so it would not cause any harm. 

I feel ya- I already have acne scars on my forehead and now with this indented line, it sucks even more. I think it™s just a waiting game but I™d love to hear any other stories too who have gone through this 

MemberMember
(@rachel-servais)

Posted : 01/06/2022 10:03 pm

Oh Im so so sorry Lmk5, it is so devastating and hard to look at every single day! So far I have done 6 weekly saline injections and after a few hours each time it wore off and havent seen any noticeable improvement. I saw a different dermatologist this week that a friend sees, she seemed to think it would resolve on its own but could be 6-12 months. She was suggesting a small amount of filler could help bridge that time gap.

Imjust not sure Im ready to risk making this any worse and worried about possible bumps filler can leave behind. Ive been taking a lot of collagen type 2 and 3 and vitamin c pills every day, collagen in my coffee, trying to massage the area, and may just see if I can get to March when it would be 6 months. Id hate to spend the cost of fillers with no guarantee if theres a chance it would resolve on its own.

MemberMember
(@slothysnoop123)

Posted : 01/11/2024 10:20 pm

Posted by: @Cyclone123

Oh Im so so sorry Lmk5, it is so devastating and hard to look at every single day! So far I have done 6 weekly saline injections and after a few hours each time it wore off and havent seen any noticeable improvement. I saw a different dermatologist this week that a friend sees, she seemed to think it would resolve on its own but could be 6-12 months. She was suggesting a small amount of filler could help bridge that time gap.

Imjust not sure Im ready to risk making this any worse and worried about possible bumps filler can leave behind. Ive been taking a lot of collagen type 2 and 3 and vitamin c pills every day, collagen in my coffee, trying to massage the area, and may just see if I can get to March when it would be 6 months. Id hate to spend the cost of fillers with no guarantee if theres a chance it would resolve on its own.

any updates on this? I am hoping yours totally cleared up. I Going through something similar right now. 🙁

MemberMember
(@csd1177)

Posted : 03/05/2024 9:04 pm

Hi all - any updates here? Dealing with the same thing right now and looking for any temporary and long term solutions.

MemberMember
(@rachel-servais)

Posted : 03/05/2024 9:15 pm

Hi, I would say the dent is gone and my forehead is mostly back to normal. Sometimes its hard to tell because there is a very, very slight line in the same spot - but honestly I think its the start of a wrinkle since Im in my mid 30s. However, its NOTHING like it was a couple years ago. I stopped after 7 or 8 saline injections and just let it be. I make sure Im moisturizing every day, and also use the Needleless Serum from the Drmtlgy brand, and I think that helps a tiny bit to plump it up.

I hope you all start seeing some progress! It can feel so embarrassing so I completely get it.

MemberMember
(@csd1177)

Posted : 03/05/2024 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for your response! I know its been a couple years now, but when did you start to see a noticeable difference? The vertical line is so odd (mines identical to yours) considering the zit was 1/5th of the dent now. Did you get any answers as to why its that shape? Also, any downside to weekly saline shots? Im just planning to do that until its resolved. Thank you again for your quick response!