Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oakley

Figuring out how deep scars are?

Hi, i have a few questions regarding scars. I know that ice pick scarring seems to be the deepest type, how does one tell if your ice picks are deep or not? I seem to have a bunch of small ice picks on my cheeks...yet they don't look all that deep to me? Aside from pics to show you guys, which i suppose i might be able to take, how else to you categorize a deep scar?

some times i wonder if my ice picks or some of them aren't just scarred pores. I am really quite confused about the difference between the two or exactly what a scared pore looks like.

I have been on the regimen for a couple of months now, and not sure if i am liking the results or not. I can't tell new acne from old red spots very easily. Sometimes i feel its working and sometimes it doesn't appear to be.

Like some others, it seems to be cyclical in nature, and despite changing one thing at a time, ie diet, or product, ect, i cannot seem to be a label on what causes more out breaks.

any ideas or thoughts would be great. I have read alot of material on these boards, and while there is tons of usefull info , there are so many conflicting ideas its a bit overwhelming.

I know, trial and error are a must, but trying to sift through the error to make my trials more effective is always a plus.

ciao, and happy holidays to all acne and scar sufferors (is that even a word?) i know your pain all to well.

The depth of scarring varies. Icepick scarring is not always deepest. Unfortunately there's no reliable gague for the depth of scarring- it's subjective. I would say the scarring is deep if it creates shadows in certain lighting, and is noticeable from a fair distance. Scarred, dilated or enlarged pores are much more shallow and are barely noticeable.

In terms of acne treatments different things work for different people. I had severe cystic acne and the only thing that worked for me was Accutane. If I were in your position I would try topical treatments first, and then prescription treatments.

OursFan :

Thanks for the reply. The whole scar thing is difficult to figure out. Especially red marks. I never know if these are going to leave new scars or not.

tiny holes that i receive from my scarring, would this be icepicks or something else? Or would you need to see a pic of it in order to determine?

Dans regimen doesn't seem to be working for me, not really sure what you would call my acne, it seemed to clear up a bit, but i am 33 yrs old and now its bad?????? I am seeing a derm in a couple of months, but where i live, in Vancouver Canada, no one seems to do the tca cross, or needling.

I feel as though i have hit a dead end. Sigh, and i am so embarrassed to post any pictures, especially since its hard to capture the right lighting and such.

Oakley!!! What's up. Listen, forget about the scarring for a moment. You can't do anything about the scarring until you're clear. Get to a derm. Don't suffer with this anymore. My acne was its worse when I was 25. I waited way too long to get sucessful treatment. So, my opinion, get to a derm. See what he says. Stop trying to figure out what causes your acne. I wasted years doing this by changing my diet, taking supplements, etc etc etc. None of us have been able to find a direct causal link as to the why. I'm trying to accept that I may never find out.

Good luck and we're here for you smile.gif

Oakley!!! What's up. Listen, forget about the scarring for a moment. You can't do anything about the scarring until you're clear. Get to a derm. Don't suffer with this anymore. My acne was its worse when I was 25. I waited way too long to get sucessful treatment. So, my opinion, get to a derm. See what he says. Stop trying to figure out what causes your acne. I wasted years doing this by changing my diet, taking supplements, etc etc etc. None of us have been able to find a direct causal link as to the why. I'm trying to accept that I may never find out.

Good luck and we're here for you smile.gif

OursFan :

Thanks for the reply.  The whole scar thing is difficult to figure out.  Especially red marks.  I never know if these are going to leave new scars or not.

tiny holes that i receive from my scarring, would this be icepicks or something else?  Or would you need to see a pic of it in order to determine?

Dans regimen doesn't seem to be working for me, not really sure what you would call my acne, it seemed to clear up a bit, but i am 33 yrs old and now its bad??????  I am seeing a derm in a couple of months, but where i live, in Vancouver Canada, no one seems to do the tca cross, or needling. 

I feel as though i have hit a dead end.  Sigh, and i am so embarrassed to post any pictures, especially since its hard to capture the right lighting and such.

Well i already have many scars, many look tiny and i saw a pic of old guys face close to the sides of his nose on his cheeks and my scarring is similar to that in that area...... perhaps his left and right sides of his nose on the upper cheek below the eye... does that make sense lol.....

if you have seen his pic...what kind of scarring is that ?

i wonder if its worth it for me to continue on the regimen, my redmarks/active acne seem to look worse with bp and cream on them...when i leave them alone it appears less red???????

guidance on getting clear is most important as you say........ the scarring i can tackle after that .....

either way, i saw a shrink about it earlier this year, b/c for the first time in 16 yrs i admitted to my family what it was doing to me and the psychological effects on the rest of my life.

the depression i suffer from is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge , much like many of you

Oakley, I can relate to the problem of suffering with this at an older age. I once heard a lady in the drug store say she thought she would be using social security money to buy Clearasil. At my advanced age I have finally (touch wood) stopped with the active acne. I am currently doing smoothbeam laser to help with scarring. I have only had two treatments so I can't report on my success--but many posters here say after about six treatments they see good results. My son, 15, is also doing it to help with active acne. He has only had one treatment but it seems to have helped already. The doctor recommended 3-4 treatments for active acne. Do you have access to smoothbeam? It is pricey though--we are paying $325 for each full face treatment. Can you get to the derm any quicker? Accutane was the only thing that helped me but I suffered with some cystic acne. Some docs are reluctant to prescribe Accutane unless you have severe cystic acne. I had to have two rounds because I still had problems after the first round. You can get past this--have hope and good luck to you biggrin.gif

I don't think i get cystic acne, the occasional "big" zit, low lately areas where i never had acne , ie side of neck has been hit hard. Again, i can't tell what new scars i will get b/c there are many red marks, but i am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too bad.

as for a derm, i will be calling this week to see if my doc got my referral and appt set up.... my buddy raves about this guy i am supposed to see.

I really don't want to do accutane, it scares me to be honest and my skin is prone to scarring. I have delicate skin mad.gif

thanks for the kind thoughts, its nice to know that some 'older' types hang around these boards too tongue.gif