Notifications
Clear all

Dermabrasion(boxcars and rolling)and how it works for scars.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 10/12/2021 3:53 pm

I have seen a lot of people being interested in dermabrasion. It produce real results but also contain it shares of risks. When it comes to treating scars there are two school of thought keep damaging the scarred area so to soften the shoulders or bring the base of the scar up or damaging it uniformly across. With dermabrasion what you are doing is bringing the healthy skin to abnormal level which in general is not a good practice because for deeper scars its not a good practice.so scar revision to make sure as much as possible scars are lifted. Once they are lifted enough then one can opt for dermabrasion but again consider all the possible risks. But again there is no reward without risk. You have to wiegh the risk to reward ratio in your case.

here is a good video explaining that:

You can see in the last video dermabrasion cant effectively Work for very deep scars with hard edges. You need to revise the scars first with excision or cross or ablate the edges with full ablative erbium laser some sessions. Make sure skin is close to healthy skin as possible and then dermabrasionthe area uniformly to skooth skin

You liked
MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 10/12/2021 6:02 pm

Yes if you are lighter skin you can go for it but then skill of the operator is very important as he is controlling the rotating device. He have to make not to go too deep

You liked
MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 10/12/2021 6:17 pm

44 minutes ago, can i get a new life please said:

@harmlessboy1441did dermabrasion long time ago he is happy about it.

its on my mind too i'm gonna do one day. I think best treatment is dermabrasion if scars are lifted.

Yeah seemed to work like 70-80% on my icepicks but I had tons of them maybe it was just pure luck or the extent of the damage made Dermabrasion work well, or whatever else. Lasers weren't around back then.Not a lot ofdoctors do it anymore and if they do they keep turning me down I asked twice for another one and both said I wasn't a candidate so maybe I'm in that nothing will help zone where they don't want to gamble.

I'm happy I went from 'not being able to leave my house' to 'just being embarrassed and different 24/7' but it's still really sad to me. I'm stuck between not wanting to make things worse and trying to find anything that has better odds than 60% to improve to a 'minor'level. It's still affecting every aspect of my life as it is all of you. Can we build an island together and just leech electricity and food from the mainland? lol

NagarNikku_ and liked
MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 10/13/2021 7:24 am

3 hours ago, can i get a new life please said:

Unfortunately not. Im fitzpatrick 4 but ill do test patch like a straight line first.

Then it is likely to cause hypopigmentation. Also another thing you can do is choose a doctor who has performed dermabrasion on ethnic skin. But still the risk will be there its just that he would know how to reduce complications.

MemberMember
(@samsadleir)

Posted : 10/13/2021 7:50 am

But what is dermabrasion exactly? It seems just like another method of removing the epidermis, similar to full ablation laser? Idk if I would trust a nurse/doctor to do this over a computer.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/14/2021 3:19 pm

On 10/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, getsmart121 said:

I have seen a lot of people being interested in dermabrasion. It produce real results but also contain it shares of risks. When it comes to treating scars there are two school of thought keep damaging the scarred area so to soften the shoulders or bring the base of the scar up or damaging it uniformly across. With dermabrasion what you are doing is bringing the healthy skin to abnormal level which in general is not a good practice because for deeper scars its not a good practice.so scar revision to make sure as much as possible scars are lifted. Once they are lifted enough then one can opt for dermabrasion but again consider all the possible risks. But again there is no reward without risk. You have to wiegh the risk to reward ratio in your case.

This is quite funny. I've posted that first Youtube video here like 3 years ago and I received a lot of hate saying I'm encouraging people to use sandpaper on their face. I guess people's perception of scar have changed over the years since I don't see any negative response (or that they're now more numb (or dumbed-down) to the fact that those heavily advertised conventional treatments don't really work).

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 10/15/2021 6:47 pm

On 10/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, JudgmentPuzzleheaded said:

But what is dermabrasion exactly? It seems just like another method of removing the epidermis, similar to full ablation laser? Idk if I would trust a nurse/doctor to do this over a computer.

Basically yes it is but for whatever reason maybe it's more effective (with some downsides) than lasers, idk really. When they did it to me I was put under anesthesia for like 2-3 hours obviously, it was bleeding for around 2 days but I had thick bandages taped to my face. Then this huge amounts of scabs/crust forms for 1-3 weeks. After the crust falls off naturally, my face was red for around 2 full months. For another 10 months after that I was pink. Being young and eating healthy through healing (with vitamins) probably helps/helped or would help any potential person doing it.

I would say after 12 or 14 months my skin looked totally normal and amazingly more even texture and don't get me wrong there's still the scars and rolling texture and and flaws there but I remember when I looked it was the first time in like 2 years I was able to look in a mirror normally. That was the process. They basically sand away your layerI guess, for me it was just my cheeks. They can go deep or shallow maybe, but most people or stories don't say it's red or pink that long (12 months) which leads me to believe my doctor went seriously aggressive because I had significant scarring.