Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaggieMags

My Cystic Acne Won't Go Away and It Makes Me Sad

My cystic acne won't go away and it makes me really sad. I've had acne since I was 13 years old, but I didn't begin getting intense cystic acne until I was about 16 or 17 years old. That's more than 5 years that I've been dealing with cystic acne. I went to this esthetician who did acne extractions and she extracted all of my cystic acne. Come to find out you're not supposed to extract this type of breakout. So now I'm left with this huge patch of scarring on my cheek from her extraction. I told her that I have a patch of scarring on my cheek because of the extraction and she said, "well that's why I also provide a laser treatment for the scars. It'll only be an additional $1,000 for 3 sessions." I felt betrayed. I felt like I was getting conned out of my money. She created a bigger problem and now she wants me to pay more so she can fix it. Now I get severe and painful cystic acne where the scarring is, probably because the skin is really weak there. I'm not sure. 

I have one supportive friend who sees past the acne, but everybody else seems to call me out on it. My mom points it out every time she sees my face. My dad as well. My grandma tells me that it's the "poisonous American air" and that if I were back in Armenia then my face would not be this way. I have other people telling me I need to wash my face more, and others telling me I need to wash it less. I don't want to leave the house without makeup yet makeup seems to make my acne worse. 

I just feel hopeless at this point.