Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WineNotWhine

Thoughts on the Regimen & Why I Quit 10 Years Later

In high school, I began breaking out with deep painful under the skin nodes on my forehead and my chin. I discovered the Acne.org regimen, was skeptical at first, but decided to give it a go to see if it would help my teenage acne. I thanked my lucky stars my skin was clear in 3 months after diligently applying two finger lengths of the benzoyl peroxide (main actor in this regimen). Every single day, I felt like I was masking my face with the product.

Because the BP is so drying, my skin never felt hydrated despite using oils and moisturizers. It was flaky in certain areas, clear, but flaky and dull. It was never “normal”.  I’m pretty sure my skin barrier was broken for better part of the years I’ve been on it; and this is why I regret it all. Even after my skin was clear, I would continue with the “masking” twice daily — way into my adult years. I decided to quit after 10 years and here’s why.

Today, I’m slowly healing my barrier damaged skin. A patch of small lesions that would not go away despite using BP is what prompted me to quit the regimen. After struggling with getting the small “pimples” cleared off my hairline and temples, I went to see my dermatologist and he diagnosed me with mild seborrhoeic dermatitis. Prior to seeing my dermatologist, I had an inkling it was fungal, I did a ton of research on what causes it (surprise, surprise! damaged skin barrier is one of them) which catapulted me to my doctor’s office within the next few days. I was prescribed two antifungal creams. Although it cleared up the clusters I had, I still have to use the cream as they creep up every now and then.

I definitely won’t want to scare anyone about the regimen or Benzoyl Peroxide, as they do a good job of clearing severe acne, but if you don’t have severe acne, going on this regimen is not worth it; IT IS HARSH. Your skin will never be hydrated while using so much of the product as a “mask”. Dehydration of the skin leads to more issues, in my case, fungal infection. Even if you’re clear, it’s up to you whether you want to continue with it or not. For me, it simply is not worth it anymore. I no longer struggle with hormonal acne. As I’m nearing my 30s, my skin issues are different. I’m introducing BHA for keeping my pores clean, and I’m making sure my skin barrier is always top priority.

This is just my experience with this regimen and I hope I did not scare anyone. But the truth of the matter lies in the fact that this regimen is very harsh and there is no way to sugarcoat it.

I do want to make on thing clear, benzoyl peroxide is not the issue. I still use benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment, but the days of masking my face in the product are long gone. The cleanser is gentle. The AHA does a wonderful job of brightening and sloughing off dead skin. Unfortunately, I have to discontinue using both of these products. Dan, if you're reading this, it would be amazing if you would consider removing the fungal triggering ingredients from both of these products.

Edited by WineNotWhine
Added additional information