Notifications
Clear all

Best Procedure for my type of scarring?

MemberMember
(@evgekrvgmail-com)

Posted : 08/08/2021 6:49 pm

Hello all, 

I am looking into which techniques will be the best to address this acne scaring that I have on my cheek and chin. It is post inflammatory erythma and atrophic scarring. I was recommended microneedling but Dr. Davin Lim said that it's not the best technique to use for more severe scarring. I'm not really sure how severe my scarring is, so I'm wondering if I should also do subcision and/or laser instead.  Looking into people opinions of how bad this scarring is and what they recommend I try to reduce it's appearance. 

IMG_58711.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/09/2021 12:01 am

There are somedivots that TCA Crosscan help. Cross is for ice pick scars and narrow boxcar scars.You also have some boxcar scars.

Overall, your scars really aren't that bad compared to most people's here.

You can trytretinoin/retinoid which is safe. It will take many, many months. One doctor online said 6-9 months which sounds more reasonable than a few months which I heard from another doctor. I'm starting to use Tazorac (high strength and high irritation) for a scar because I don't want to do any more laser treatments on it.

Procedures will have risks so you have to assess their worth. Microneedling may help with shallower scars. You can pay hundreds at an office or do it yourself at home - it's cheaper and really not that hard. Alternate this with TCA peels monthly and see if that works. I don't have first-hand experience but BA on this forum has mentioned this a number of times.

Laser treatments are an option. Please look at my profile because my responses are thorough and I don't have time to type too much right now.

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 08/09/2021 2:40 am

7 hours ago, Simplyev said:

Hello all, 

I am looking into which techniques will be the best to address this acne scaring that I have on my cheek and chin. It is post inflammatory erythma and atrophic scarring. I was recommended microneedling but Dr. Davin Lim said that it's not the best technique to use for more severe scarring. I'm not really sure how severe my scarring is, so I'm wondering if I should also do subcision and/or laser instead.  Looking into people opinions of how bad this scarring is and what they recommend I try to reduce it's appearance. 

IMG_58711.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

You mostly have hyperpigmentation. IMO don't do anything aggressive. Any treatment if you do should be extremely targeted to the defect areas and stay away from healthy skin. You don't want to create new problems. Honestly you don't have any scars but trust me you have more hyperpigmentation. Treat that first and once that is done I am confident you would think you dont need any treatment.

MemberMember
(@evgekrvgmail-com)

Posted : 08/09/2021 10:40 am

Thank you all for your responses. I will look into peels at a dermatologists office as well as prescription retinoids.

I want to try microneedlingwell but I want to go to a dermatologist for it since I have a traumatic scar from an injury on my eyebrows that I want to address as well.My concern is that you guys have said that microneedling has risks. I read online that it is a relatively risk-free procedure and that worst case scenario someone has a bit of redness (and these were from published studies!). Is this wrong? What are the biggest risks of microneedling and how often do they happen?