Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tonitrus09

Scar treatment journey with Dr. Rullan

Recommended Posts

Hello, friends!

I flew out of Boston this AM and have now arrived in San Diego where I am anxiously awaiting my first appointment with Dr. Rullan! We will be doing the quattro today - subcision, phenol cross, Erbium laser & fillers as needed (for spacer and for volume). 

Very excited and very nervous!! Guess I started this thread both to document my journey and to seek some support from this community. I'm no stranger to laser and microneedling, but I've never had full field subcision or tumescent anesthesia before! I'm freaking out a little bit, lol

So feel free to follow along on the journey, if you're interested - I will post before/after pics asap. Going to have them snap pics of me in the office. Will likely go back in 6 months after this first appointment to do it all over again...

PXL_20210225_193814283_2.jpg.b16cb964e4b4eba84cc58a410369b104.jpgPXL_20210225_194427861_2.jpg.9cd0c72502cbff643fb0a405263969ef.jpg

Please drop an encouraging word, if you're so inclined :)

P.S. I did add some recent pics of my scars here as well. But I will add official "before" pics once I get some taken of me at the office. I want the lighting to be consistent, so each time I see Dr. Rullan, I'll get a pic taken before the treatments and share it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hello, friends!

I flew out of Boston this AM and have now arrived in San Diego where I am anxiously awaiting my first appointment with Dr. Rullan! We will be doing the quattro today - subcision, phenol cross, Erbium laser & fillers as needed (for spacer and for volume). 

Very excited and very nervous!! Guess I started this thread both to document my journey and to seek some support from this community. I'm no stranger to laser and microneedling, but I've never had full field subcision or tumescent anesthesia before! I'm freaking out a little bit, lol

So feel free to follow along on the journey, if you're interested - I will post before/after pics asap. Going to have them snap pics of me in the office. Will likely go back in 6 months after this first appointment to do it all over again...

PXL_20210225_193814283_2.jpg.b16cb964e4b4eba84cc58a410369b104.jpgPXL_20210225_194427861_2.jpg.9cd0c72502cbff643fb0a405263969ef.jpg

Please drop an encouraging word, if you're so inclined :)

P.S. I did add some recent pics of my scars here as well. But I will add official "before" pics once I get some taken of me at the office. I want the lighting to be consistent, so each time I see Dr. Rullan, I'll get a pic taken before the treatments and share it here.

Looks good your scarring is not bad at all but I do understand it bother you and want to get treatment.

Did rullan also mention what kind of subcision is he doing aka full field ? I though you can’t do a full field with canula but you can do that with Taylor liberator?

can you clear it ?

Edited by getsmart121
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, getsmart121 said:

Looks good your scarring is not bad at all but I do understand it bother you and want to get treatment.

Did rullan also mention what kind of subcision is he doing aka full field ? I though you can’t do a full field with canula but you can do that with Taylor liberator?

can you clear it ?

He typically does cannula subcision. In his opinion, TL is needlessly aggressive / risky. Every provider who does subcision has a different philosophy...some think cannula is the gold standard, some think TL is the better way to go. It depends on your scars and the skill of the provider, honestly, as to which method will work better in the end. :)

I actually plan to talk to him more about this topic during my treatment today and would be happy to get back to you with any additional insights! 

Edited by Tonitrus09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How exciting! I’ve done the trio twice with him and I think you’ll be happy with the results given your current scarring situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, shei514 said:

How exciting! I’ve done the trio twice with him and I think you’ll be happy with the results given your current scarring situation. 

Thank you so much for the support :) I hope so!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!! They don't call Dr. Rullan an expert for nothing! That was quite an experience...and the doctor and his staff made it as quick and easy as possible!! I have HUGE cheeks now from the tumescent anesthesia lol. I'm feeling fine though, no discomfort at 3-4 hours "post op". If anyone has any questions about what it's like to get the trio / quattro combo treatments with Dr. Rullan, please don't hesitate to ask here or message me. :) I will post results in a couple months once I'm healed up! Thanks all for the support, I was really nervous. But I'm so glad I did it!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Wow!! They don't call Dr. Rullan an expert for nothing! That was quite an experience...and the doctor and his staff made it as quick and easy as possible!! I have HUGE cheeks now from the tumescent anesthesia lol. I'm feeling fine though, no discomfort at 3-4 hours "post op". If anyone has any questions about what it's like to get the trio / quattro combo treatments with Dr. Rullan, please don't hesitate to ask here or message me. :) I will post results in a couple months once I'm healed up! Thanks all for the support, I was really nervous. But I'm so glad I did it!!!

Yes dr rullan calls us chipmunks after the trio lol. I hope you heal well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

He typically does cannula subcision. In his opinion, TL is needlessly aggressive / risky. Every provider who does subcision has a different philosophy...some think cannula is the gold standard, some think TL is the better way to go. It depends on your scars and the skill of the provider, honestly, as to which method will work better in the end. :)

I actually plan to talk to him more about this topic during my treatment today and would be happy to get back to you with any additional insights! 

@getsmart121 as promised, some additional info to share with you following my appointment: why do some people have stories about providers who couldn't get all their scars with cannula sub? Dr. Rullan has not experienced this - he has been using cannula for sub for many years and can't recall a time when there was a scar too fibrotic to treat with that tool. It's always done the job for him and his patients.

I asked him how it could be that other providers claim to have had the experience of cannula not being able to cut everything. His educated guess is that the provider may be using a cannula needle that is too thin. I believe he uses a standard 12 gauge but apparently they can come in different sizes / thickness? So for anyone who's been told "I have to use TL for your sub because this cannula can't cut through everything" it may be that the provider is not as proficient with the tool / is using a cannula that is too thin. 

Dr. Rullan noted that he has used TL in the past - he's friends with the inventor, Dr. Mark Taylor. Rullan's experience was that TL yielded WAY more hematomas than the cannula technique. :(He also said that unlike the more blunt cannula, TL can cut things that should not be cut - like hair follicles or nerve endings.

Long story short, Dr. Rullan understands the appeal of a "one and done" that TL can sometimes offer, but he prefers to use cannula to minimize the risk / side effects for the patient. Better to take a less risky approach rather than deal with hematomas and possible nerve damage. That's just his preference :)

Hope this answers your questions! And yes, Dr. Rullan was able to do full field subcision on all my scars - nothing was "too fribrotic" for him to cut. It was cool because you could hear the ripping of the scar tissue while he was working on me and by the end, it was silent. No more sound as he moved the needle. Bye bye scar tethers! 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest

Hey mate :)

how wonderful to get your scars treated at last and by none other than Dr Rullan! Thanks for sharing your story and the doctor's answers with us. It is really insightful. I feel even more encouraged to go and see him myself now since without being an expert I see things exactly the way he does haha! You mentioned he performed Quatro, meaning you also got filler? Can you tell us more about it? What kind of filler did he use?  Did he inject filler first, subcision second? I wish you quick recovery and great results! 

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, JaysonC said:

Hey mate :)

how wonderful to get your scars treated at last and by none other than Dr Rullan! Thanks for sharing your story and the doctor's answers with us. It is really insightful. I feel even more encouraged to go and see him myself since withoute being an expert I see things exactly the way he does haha! Yo mentioned he performed Quattro, meaning you also got filler? Can I tell more about it? What kind of filler did he use?  Did he inject filler first, subcision second? I wish you quick recovery and great results! 

Hi friend!! Thank you for the kind words. Many people on his forum have helped me and taught me a lot so I'm glad to pay it forward. :)

He used juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler. Pretty standard. This filler adds volume to lift atrophic scars, helps to sever the fibrous bands (via injection of each individual scar) & promotes new collagen production! 

order for the quatro treatment:

1. Ice on face followed by filler injected into scars 

2. Phenol cross applied to each scar (like TCA cross technique but less likely to cause scar widening) 

3. Tumescent anesthesia injected into each side of the face followed by cannula subcision

4. Erbium laser to polish it off, two passes on each side of the face.

By using multiple techniques in concert with each other, Rullan is demonstrating a synergistic approach to scar treatment, I would say. I like that his method emphasizes treating the scars from different depths and "angles", if you will. It's a lot harder to clear all the scar tissue effectively and efficiently when you're using one technique at a time. 

But I am also speaking as someone who has many different types of scars and also atrophy. Plus lots of my scars are years old. For someone with fewer scars, no atrophy, etc. you don't necessarily need the combo treatments. It really depends on the extent of the scarring and how well you heal / how your immune system responds. Hope this helps!

 

Edited by Tonitrus09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
31 minutes ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hi friend!! Thank you for the kind words. Many people on his forum have helped me and taught me a lot so I'm glad to pay it forward. :)

He used juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler. Pretty standard. This filler adds volume to lift atrophic scars, helps to sever the fibrous bands (via injection of each individual scar) & promotes new collagen production! 

order for the quatro treatment:

1. Ice on face followed by filler injected into scars 

2. Phenol cross applied to each scar (like TCA cross technique but less likely to cause scar widening) 

3. Tumescent anesthesia injected into each side of the face followed by cannula subcision

4. Erbium laser to polish it off, two passes on each side of the face.

By using multiple techniques in concert with each other, Rullan is demonstrating a synergistic approach to scar treatment, I would say. I like that his method emphasizes treating the scars from different depths and "angles", if you will. It's a lot harder to clear all the scar tissue effectively and efficiently when you're using one technique at a time. 

But I am also speaking as someone who has many different types of scars and also atrophy. Plus lots of my scars are years old. For someone with fewer scars, no atrophy, etc. you don't necessarily need the combo treatments. It really depends on the extent of the scarring and how well you heal / how your immune system responds. Hope this helps!

 

It helps a lot. Thanks. :)

Why does he inject the filler first? Isn't the filler supposed to prevent retethering after subcision? I don't understand this. Someone explain it to me please. 

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hi friend!! Thank you for the kind words. Many people on his forum have helped me and taught me a lot so I'm glad to pay it forward. :)

He used juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler. Pretty standard. This filler adds volume to lift atrophic scars, helps to sever the fibrous bands (via injection of each individual scar) & promotes new collagen production! 

order for the quatro treatment:

1. Ice on face followed by filler injected into scars 

2. Phenol cross applied to each scar (like TCA cross technique but less likely to cause scar widening) 

3. Tumescent anesthesia injected into each side of the face followed by cannula subcision

4. Erbium laser to polish it off, two passes on each side of the face.

By using multiple techniques in concert with each other, Rullan is demonstrating a synergistic approach to scar treatment, I would say. I like that his method emphasizes treating the scars from different depths and "angles", if you will. It's a lot harder to clear all the scar tissue effectively and efficiently when you're using one technique at a time. 

But I am also speaking as someone who has many different types of scars and also atrophy. Plus lots of my scars are years old. For someone with fewer scars, no atrophy, etc. you don't necessarily need the combo treatments. It really depends on the extent of the scarring and how well you heal / how your immune system responds. Hope this helps!

 

What do you look like right now after the treatment? I'm curious if the Erbium laser was aggressive or just a light setting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hi friend!! Thank you for the kind words. Many people on his forum have helped me and taught me a lot so I'm glad to pay it forward. :)

He used juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler. Pretty standard. This filler adds volume to lift atrophic scars, helps to sever the fibrous bands (via injection of each individual scar) & promotes new collagen production! 

order for the quatro treatment:

1. Ice on face followed by filler injected into scars 

2. Phenol cross applied to each scar (like TCA cross technique but less likely to cause scar widening) 

3. Tumescent anesthesia injected into each side of the face followed by cannula subcision

4. Erbium laser to polish it off, two passes on each side of the face.

By using multiple techniques in concert with each other, Rullan is demonstrating a synergistic approach to scar treatment, I would say. I like that his method emphasizes treating the scars from different depths and "angles", if you will. It's a lot harder to clear all the scar tissue effectively and efficiently when you're using one technique at a time. 

But I am also speaking as someone who has many different types of scars and also atrophy. Plus lots of my scars are years old. For someone with fewer scars, no atrophy, etc. you don't necessarily need the combo treatments. It really depends on the extent of the scarring and how well you heal / how your immune system responds. Hope this helps!

 

 

How much time took to the subcision? and do you know the setting of erbium?.

Good look with the recovery and healing good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

@getsmart121 as promised, some additional info to share with you following my appointment: why do some people have stories about providers who couldn't get all their scars with cannula sub? Dr. Rullan has not experienced this - he has been using cannula for sub for many years and can't recall a time when there was a scar too fibrotic to treat with that tool. It's always done the job for him and his patients.

I asked him how it could be that other providers claim to have had the experience of cannula not being able to cut everything. His educated guess is that the provider may be using a cannula needle that is too thin. I believe he uses a standard 12 gauge but apparently they can come in different sizes / thickness? So for anyone who's been told "I have to use TL for your sub because this cannula can't cut through everything" it may be that the provider is not as proficient with the tool / is using a cannula that is too thin. 

Dr. Rullan noted that he has used TL in the past - he's friends with the inventor, Dr. Mark Taylor. Rullan's experience was that TL yielded WAY more hematomas than the cannula technique. :(He also said that unlike the more blunt cannula, TL can cut things that should not be cut - like hair follicles or nerve endings.

Long story short, Dr. Rullan understands the appeal of a "one and done" that TL can sometimes offer, but he prefers to use cannula to minimize the risk / side effects for the patient. Better to take a less risky approach rather than deal with hematomas and possible nerve damage. That's just his preference :)

Hope this answers your questions! And yes, Dr. Rullan was able to do full field subcision on all my scars - nothing was "too fribrotic" for him to cut. It was cool because you could hear the ripping of the scar tissue while he was working on me and by the end, it was silent. No more sound as he moved the needle. Bye bye scar tethers! 

 

 

 

 

I have first hand experience with him doing TL on me back in 2016 and I definitely had the hematomas on both cheeks for 2-3 months before it naturally went away. I do wish I had paired the TL with suction but instead, I did CROSS with it. 

So, I do have a question. The last time I went, during the procedure, I didn't hear as much popping as the first 2 times. Does that mean that there's not much tethering left, and not much more improvement that can be done with subcision? 

8 hours ago, JaysonC said:

It helps a lot. Thanks. :)

Why does he inject the filler first? Isn't the filler supposed to prevent retethering after subcision? I don't understand this. Someone explain it to me please. 

He did the same for me and it was because it would be hard to measure the amount of filler needed once the face is too swollen from the subcision process and he did mention one more thing but I don't remember exactly what. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, JaysonC said:

It helps a lot. Thanks. :)

Why does he inject the filler first? Isn't the filler supposed to prevent retethering after subcision? I don't understand this. Someone explain it to me please. 

some providers use filler as "spacer" during subcision but not all. In the case of Dr. Rullan, he used it first on my scars before the other 3 procedures. I asked him why and he said the same thing that @LotsToLearn said - it is easier to accurately place filler in the face before it gets swollen and bruised etc. from the other treatments.  :) So he does it first to ensure accuracy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi! I'm going to see him in a few weeks! You're scarring is similar to mine except my skin tone is darker. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering.

 

What did he recommend for your next session, if any? I'm getting the quattro but most of my forehead/temple scars are not as deep as my cheek ones, so I'm curious if I can get away with doing less on some areas for following sessions.

 

You said you're waiting 6 months to go again, but I know Dr. Rullan recommends 1 month between sessions. There seems to be some discrepancy between how long people wait on here and what the Dr. recommends. I'm not sure how long I should wait for my 2nd session. I'm a few hours drive away so its not as much of a journey as for you.

Edited by perdust
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, Dontgiveupitsonlyscars said:

What do you look like right now after the treatment? I'm curious if the Erbium laser was aggressive or just a light setting

Hahahaha. Right afterwards I looked CRAZY - like a huge chipmunk. I'm attaching a photo here. That is NOT a Snapchat filter, lol. Also just FYI my camera has a filter so realize that the texture of my face is blurred. It's only the swelling  and redness that's accurately represented here. 1391163249_PXL_20210730_0106094232.jpg.9905f3642b0758bec32031d949bede6d.jpg

The next day, the swelling had gone down a lot but was still VERY noticable. See below. Again, texture of my skin is blurred due to camera filter so know this is only meant to show the degree of swelling. :)

1804721787_PXL_20210730_1732034902.jpg.616e27636f47f828da39ce5519d05004.jpg

After 3-4 days the swelling was BARELY noticable. At day 5 post treatment, I definitely think I'm still swollen but it doesn't really look like it. 

Also to answer your question about Erbium, he used 2500 for the level / strength. I am definitely still red and have "grid marks", plus I'm now flaking and peeling (which is good!).

Also notice the bruising near my jaw/mouth - that's from the subcision! I definitely still feel tender in my cheeks. Yay for healing, haha! 1914325095_PXL_20210803_1805045192.jpg.bcedff617f35e705f6f1b2a3244e6162.jpg1431159385_PXL_20210803_1759463162.jpg.4a5498b01ce8a1b1b0b268f0ff1f672a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, FredM said:

 

How much time took to the subcision? and do you know the setting of erbium?.

Good look with the recovery and healing good.

Hi! From the time they started injecting the tumescent anesthesia to when he finished the subcision of my cheeks, I would say it took 5-10 minutes per side (of my face). Probably closer to 5. My sense of time felt off because I was so nervous! Lol 

Erbium setting was 2500, they said. 

Thank you! I really appreciate the well wishes. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
11 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hi! From the time they started injecting the tumescent anesthesia to when he finished the subcision of my cheeks, I would say it took 5-10 minutes per side (of my face). Probably closer to 5. My sense of time felt off because I was so nervous! Lol 

Erbium setting was 2500, they said. 

Thank you! I really appreciate the well wishes. :)

Is this low energy? Just for polish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, perdust said:

Hi! I'm going to see him in a few weeks! You're scarring is similar to mine except my skin tone is darker. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering.

 

What did he recommend for your next session, if any? I'm getting the quattro but most of my forehead/temple scars are not as deep as my cheek ones, so I'm curious if I can get away with doing less on some areas for following sessions.

 

You said you're waiting 6 months to go again, but I know Dr. Rullan recommends 1 month between sessions. There seems to be some discrepancy between how long people wait on here and what the Dr. recommends. I'm not sure how long I should wait for my 2nd session. I'm a few hours drive away so its not as much of a journey as for you.

Sure, happy to help if I can. 

During my consult (which was with another staff member) they recommended around 6 treatments total for me. But it wouldn't be the same treatment every time - for example, maybe the first 2 times they do the quattro. Then maybe I don't need subcision anymore so they drop it down to three treatments at once instead of 4 and I do a couple of sessions like that. Then maybe I don't need the phenol cross anymore so they just do the Erbium laser and filler going forward. And so on. But of course, this is entirely dependent on my degree of satisfaction with the results; I might stop after two treatments of the quattro because I'm happy with how I look! It all depends. :) I told Dr. Rullan after my first treatment that I intended to return in January and he had no problem with that. 

Do you your own research around healing time / time between treatments - a lot of doctors say 1 month because they make more money if you're coming in more frequently. Not saying that is necessarily the case for Dr. Rullan. I trust him and believe he has integrity. Because I got so many procedures done at once, I want to give my body adequate time to heal and also build up new collagen. That's why I lean towards 3-6 months in between treatments. Collagen typically takes about that long to remodel and I don't want to interrupt that. If I was getting something less intense, like basic microneedling, I would be fine doing it once a month. Also, as you mentioned, I'm from the East Coast so I'm not going to come back every month for logistical reasons as well, lol. I'm not going to tell you what to do - I would discuss with the doctor and do your own research before deciding what you're comfortable with. 

Good luck! 

 

 

7 hours ago, JaysonC said:

Is this low energy? Just for polish?

I'm honestly not sure if that setting is considered "low energy" or not. I would search for Erbium on this forum and read what other people have said about it as I don't have much additional context or knowledge to offer.

What I can tell you is that Dr. Rullan includes Erbium laser with the trio and quattro packages because it helps to break down more of the scar tissue. All the treatments he's doing at once - the filler, the subcision, the phenol cross, the Erbium laser - they all attack the scars from different depths and from different angles. So if we take laser out of that equation, the scar tissue might not be remodeled as efficiently or effectively. These 3-4 techniques work in concert to produce a far better result than each one could on its own, if that makes sense. :) it's like a magic formula! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
2 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Sure, happy to help if I can. 

During my consult (which was with another staff member) they recommended around 6 treatments total for me. But it wouldn't be the same treatment every time - for example, maybe the first 2 times they do the quattro. Then maybe I don't need subcision anymore so they drop it down to three treatments at once instead of 4 and I do a couple of sessions like that. Then maybe I don't need the phenol cross anymore so they just do the Erbium laser and filler going forward. And so on. But of course, this is entirely dependent on my degree of satisfaction with the results; I might stop after two treatments of the quattro because I'm happy with how I look! It all depends. :) I told Dr. Rullan after my first treatment that I intended to return in January and he had no problem with that. 

Do you your own research around healing time / time between treatments - a lot of doctors say 1 month because they make more money if you're coming in more frequently. Not saying that is necessarily the case for Dr. Rullan. I trust him and believe he has integrity. Because I got so many procedures done at once, I want to give my body adequate time to heal and also build up new collagen. That's why I lean towards 3-6 months in between treatments. Collagen typically takes about that long to remodel and I don't want to interrupt that. If I was getting something less intense, like basic microneedling, I would be fine doing it once a month. Also, as you mentioned, I'm from the East Coast so I'm not going to come back every month for logistical reasons as well, lol. I'm not going to tell you what to do - I would discuss with the doctor and do your own research before deciding what you're comfortable with. 

Good luck! 

 

 

I'm honestly not sure if that setting is considered "low energy" or not. I would search for Erbium on this forum and read what other people have said about it as I don't have much additional context or knowledge to offer.

What I can tell you is that Dr. Rullan includes Erbium laser with the trio and quattro packages because it helps to break down more of the scar tissue. All the treatments he's doing at once - the filler, the subcision, the phenol cross, the Erbium laser - they all attack the scars from different depths and from different angles. So if we take laser out of that equation, the scar tissue might not be remodeled as efficiently or effectively. These 3-4 techniques work in concert to produce a far better result than each one could on its own, if that makes sense. :) it's like a magic formula! 

They recommended 6 treatments Oh my God. Hope you see good improvement and you as well might. But honestly I haven't heard of a magic formula for scars so far :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JaysonC said:

They recommended 6 treatments Oh my God. Hope you see good improvement and you as well might. But honestly I haven't heard of a magic formula for scars so far :)

Yeah, there is no magic formula - all we can do is arm ourselves with knowledge which will help us determine which procedure(s) or providers(s) can help us meet our goals. Hopefully I won't need 6 treatments. What does "need" mean, anyway? At the end of the day, I think it depends more on how WE feel about our appearance vs how visible / obvious our scars actually are. Someone with the same scars as me could be satisfied after 1-2 treatments whereas I may not be happy with my appearance until I get 4-6 - who knows? But I'm hoping I will like the way I look sooner rather than later, with fewer combo treatments (and trips to CA, hahaha). All this scar revision is a ton of time and money (and energy!) to spend, as we are all aware! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
56 minutes ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Yeah, there is no magic formula - all we can do is arm ourselves with knowledge which will help us determine which procedure(s) or providers(s) can help us meet our goals. Hopefully I won't need 6 treatments. What does "need" mean, anyway? At the end of the day, I think it depends more on how WE feel about our appearance vs how visible / obvious our scars actually are. Someone with the same scars as me could be satisfied after 1-2 treatments whereas I may not be happy with my appearance until I get 4-6 - who knows? But I'm hoping I will like the way I look sooner rather than later, with fewer combo treatments (and trips to CA, hahaha). All this scar revision is a ton of time and money (and energy!) to spend, as we are all aware! 

I am most positive you will see good results - your scarring isn't severe to begin with and you are in experiened doctor's hand. I was just surprised that even with your scarring the recommendation reads 6 sessions. And I generally distrust any provider who promises 90% or magic combination solutions for scars. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JaysonC said:

I am most positive you will see good results - your scarring isn't severe to begin with and you are in experiened doctor's hand. I was just surprised that even with your scarring the recommendation reads 6 sessions. And I generally distrust any provider who promises 90% or magic combination solutions for scars. :)

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the support & encouragement. Oh for sure - I always tell people that it's a major red flag if a provider promises a "one and done" wherein all your scars will drastically improve after one session. I mean, unless you have extremely mild, shallow (and very few) scars, maybe. It's so important for both providers and patients to establish realistic expectations - most acne scar patients require multiple sessions to achieve their goals, I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Yeah, there is no magic formula - all we can do is arm ourselves with knowledge which will help us determine which procedure(s) or providers(s) can help us meet our goals. Hopefully I won't need 6 treatments. What does "need" mean, anyway? At the end of the day, I think it depends more on how WE feel about our appearance vs how visible / obvious our scars actually are. Someone with the same scars as me could be satisfied after 1-2 treatments whereas I may not be happy with my appearance until I get 4-6 - who knows? But I'm hoping I will like the way I look sooner rather than later, with fewer combo treatments (and trips to CA, hahaha). All this scar revision is a ton of time and money (and energy!) to spend, as we are all aware! 

Glad you saw Dr. Rullan! I paid him a visit several weeks before you.

I hope you get results from him. We've spoken before and I recommended him to you so I really hope that you aren't in any way underwhelmed. The way he explains his treatments is very convincing. It's almost as if..... he knows what he's talking about! With that being said, not everybody sees results from his (or any other doctor's) treatments, but that's a part of life. What matters is that you chose the doctor you are most comfortable with and you have peace of mind with the treatment you got.

Keep us posted!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×